• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course NZ have had the talent that South Africa have had in the last 10-12 years :dry:
That is not the point. You cannot list a set of results to prove it is all I'm saying. SA have also lost to some damn good teams and individual performances (Lara, Ambrose, McGrath etc.) in that timeframe.

I daresay most people on this forum have done that.

2007 WC semi stands out the most to me. A perfect example of Australian mindgames absolutely owning South Africa. The match was lost before the coin was even tossed :laugh:
Yeah, I know people have watched SA.. and I agree they froze terribly in the 2007 semi after talking themselves up a great deal. I do think that is what makes people take extra pleasure in their failure.. they talk themselves up before the event, especially against Australia, and then fail to deliver.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For me, nothing will come close to the '99 semi-final for choking, in a game of cricket, any form of the game. The run-out that forced the tie was bad enough, but when you realise that they still had two more balls to go after that to score one run with a high quality, set batsman on strike... it's just astonishing. If they just chose not to run and waited for another ball, they would have almost certainly won that world cup. The word is thrown around a lot in high level sport but the end of that game was the definition of a choke.

YouTube - Drama of 1999 world cup semi final

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
How many WC knockout games have NZ won? Are they chokers as well? It's four or five games FFS.

I do think there's an element of mental fragility about them under pressure, but you can't draw that conclusion based on a list of knockout results, you have to watch them play.

FTR, SA won the inaugural Champions Trophy in '98 when Tendulkar scored that hundred against Australia and took 4 wickets in the same game. Beat WI in the final IIRC.
I kinda agree with this. The chokers tag is a bit overrated.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For me, nothing will come close to the '99 semi-final for choking, in a game of cricket, any form of the game. The run-out that forced the tie was bad enough, but when you realise that they still had two more balls to go after that to score one run with a high quality, set batsman on strike... it's just astonishing. If they just chose not to run and waited for another ball, they would have almost certainly won that world cup. The word is thrown around a lot in high level sport but the end of that game was the definition of a choke.

YouTube - Drama of 1999 world cup semi final
That was obviously a choke, but it was before they really had such a reputation, and also it was two players.

2007 was basically the whole team falling into the trap Australia set. They put the pressure on SA through Ponting's and Hayden's taunts about how SA bat slow and how they are intimidated by Australia. SA tried to change their game and be something they weren't, and completely capitulated. Was unbelievable.

Ponting calling Kallis a slow-coach is the best pre-match mind games I've ever seen.

pup11

International Coach
I think last night was probably an example of India losing the plot when the things got close, I find the Saffers lower middle order to be pretty brittle and for me they clearly lack a power-hitter or finisher in their lower order.

So for the Indian bowlers to allow the likes of Botha and Peterson to hit out against them was just poor bowling more than anything else, through the chase the game was in India's favour and they were the one's that messed things up first with the bat then with the ball during the closing stages of both innings.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Correct me if I am wrong here but this is SA's record in world cup knock out games:

92 World Cup: 1st knockout game = semis vs England. Result: Lost
96 World cup: 1st knockout game = Quarters vs WI. Result: Lost
99 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
2003 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
2007 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
2011 World Cup. 1st knockout game = Quarters vs ? Result: ?

2007 T20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
2009 T20 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Pakistan. Result: Lost
2010 t20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage.

Given that they have lost 100% of their knockout games in history, it is a bit hard to understand how beating India in a rather meaningless game is supposed to cure 19 years that they've spent building and enhancing their reputation as the game's finest World cup knockout chokers. The only way to remove the tag is for them to replace that question mark with a win.
That's crazy.

IndiaLose

U19 12th Man
I think last night was probably an example of India losing the plot when the things got close, I find the Saffers lower middle order to be pretty brittle and for me they clearly lack a power-hitter or finisher in their lower order.

So for the Indian bowlers to allow the likes of Botha and Peterson to hit out against them was just poor bowling more than anything else, through the chase the game was in India's favour and they were the one's that messed things up first with the bat then with the ball during the closing stages of both innings.
I concur.

India doesn't do well under pressure so I can understand the bowling thing. But batting......wow

tooextracool

International Coach
How many WC knockout games have NZ won? Are they chokers as well? It's four or five games FFS.

I do think there's an element of mental fragility about them under pressure, but you can't draw that conclusion based on a list of knockout results, you have to watch them play.

FTR, SA won the inaugural Champions Trophy in '98 when Tendulkar scored that hundred against Australia and took 4 wickets in the same game. Beat WI in the final IIRC.
Dont think its fair to compare them to NZ given that SA were favorites to win those games on almost all of those occasions.

Their chokers tag even extends outside of the world cups tbh. Distinctively remember them in the 90s as the side that would win all of the qualifying games in routine tri-series and proceed to bottle it in the finals. The Carlton United series in 1997, Titan Series, the tournament in 1993 when Mcmillan couldnt score 4 runs against Tendulkar in the final over(FFS!), the texaco trophy in 1998 etc. Sure they didnt always choke and there are many series that they won during the same period but their performances in the Finals of most tournaments when it really mattered was astonishing especially given that they were far and away the best ODI side of that time.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dont think its fair to compare them to NZ given that SA were favorites to win those games on almost all of those occasions.

Their chokers tag even extends outside of the world cups tbh. Distinctively remember them in the 90s as the side that would win all of the qualifying games in routine tri-series and proceed to bottle it in the finals. The Carlton United series in 1997, Titan Series, the tournament in 1993 when Mcmillan couldnt score 4 runs against Tendulkar in the final over(FFS!), the texaco trophy in 1998 etc. Sure they didnt always choke and there are many series that they won during the same period but their performances in the Finals of most tournaments when it really mattered was astonishing especially given that they were far and away the best ODI side of that time.
Yeah, fair point about their record in finals of tri-series.

Mikey29

Banned
@ The topic title, certainly not! They've taken a step to being successful for the rest of the tournament (a loss to India would have dented their confidence massively), but the fact remains they haven't gotten close- have not made a final.

If they do justice to their ability, make the final and play well- not doing something stupid to throw it away, IMO they can say they aren't chokers.

There is no shame in losing to Aus in a Final, as i think they will

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I know a lot of you seem to be tired of it but I think SA having the chokers tag is hilarious and brilliant.

Every tournament and every knock out match the SA captain has to answer umpteen dozen choke-related questions from dimwitted reporters, there are hundreds of newspaper articles written about it and no matter how much the South African players clap their hands over their ears and chant 'we're better now' and 'that was a completely different team back then', that worm of doubt burrows into the psyche, buries itself in a quiet corner of each players' brain and then arises like a crazed electrician in a switchroom to pull out important wires, tie them in knots, douse them in water and replug them at random, to the point where the man in green can hardly walk in a straight line let alone remember to run to the other end.

It is the embodiment of a self-fulfilling prophecy and I think it's fascinating how this idea has taken on a life of its own and keeps growing and growing.

And no, the only way South Africa can get rid of the tag is by winning multiple knockout matches, and probably the whole World Cup.

smash84

The Tiger King
I know a lot of you seem to be tired of it but I think SA having the chokers tag is hilarious and brilliant.

Every tournament and every knock out match the SA captain has to answer umpteen dozen choke-related questions from dimwitted reporters, there are hundreds of newspaper articles written about it and no matter how much the South African players clap their hands over their ears and chant 'we're better now' and 'that was a completely different team back then', that worm of doubt burrows into the psyche, buries itself in a quiet corner of each players' brain and then arises like a crazed electrician in a switchroom to pull out important wires, tie them in knots, douse them in water and replug them at random, to the point where the man in green can hardly walk in a straight line let alone remember to run to the other end.

It is the embodiment of a self-fulfilling prophecy and I think it's fascinating how this idea has taken on a life of its own and keeps growing and growing.

And no, the only way South Africa can get rid of the tag is by winning multiple knockout matches, and probably the whole World Cup.
lol.....quality post

Lostman

State Captain
I agree.

In baseball, the redsox "choke" and curse was one of the most interesting story lines in the game. Too bad it ended after 86 years.
Hell the cubs have a 100 year thing going but there fans seem to like it, so you cant even make fun of them.:wacko:

Challis

U19 12th Man
That's what she said.
:laugh: thought this needed more appreciation

On topic SA will only lose the tag once they win a WC. Their reputation is similar to the one Spain had before they won the Euro 2008; Spain were regular underachievers at the Euros and WC and at the start of every tournament they would be disregarded because of this, but since winning Euro 2008 no one disregards them any more