Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

They have to win a World Cup to remove the chokers tag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Good summary from Tooextracool
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State Vice-Captain
    @ Topic Title - I certainly think so. This was the sort of situation South Africans are renowned for losing their heads in, 46 in 5 overs with on Du Plessis, Botha, Peterson and Steyn/Morkel to come. But Botha rose to the occasion, du Plessis kept his head, and Peterson blazed them home. Quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong here but this is SA's record in world cup knock out games:

92 World Cup: 1st knockout game = semis vs England. Result: Lost
    96 World cup: 1st knockout game = Quarters vs WI. Result: Lost
    99 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
    2003 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
    2007 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
    2011 World Cup. 1st knockout game = Quarters vs ? Result: ?

2007 T20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
    2009 T20 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Pakistan. Result: Lost
    2010 t20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage.

Given that they have lost 100% of their knockout games in history, it is a bit hard to understand how beating India in a rather meaningless game is supposed to cure 19 years that they've spent building and enhancing their reputation as the game's finest World cup knockout chokers. The only way to remove the tag is for them to replace that question mark with a win.
    Haha that's astonishing.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

vcs
    Not really. Nothing worthy of drawing conclusions from, anyway.

Unfortunately you haven't supported that with anything. All evidence suggests they bottle it. It's not just a myth that they don't perform in world tournaments.

Would love to know their record in recent Champions Trophy tournaments as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong here but this is SA's record in world cup knock out games:

92 World Cup: 1st knockout game = semis vs England. Result: Lost
    96 World cup: 1st knockout game = Quarters vs WI. Result: Lost
    99 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
    2003 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
    2007 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
    2011 World Cup. 1st knockout game = Quarters vs ? Result: ?

2007 T20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
    2009 T20 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Pakistan. Result: Lost
    2010 t20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage.

Given that they have lost 100% of their knockout games in history, it is a bit hard to understand how beating India in a rather meaningless game is supposed to cure 19 years that they've spent building and enhancing their reputation as the game's finest World cup knockout chokers. The only way to remove the tag is for them to replace that question mark with a win.

vcs
    How many WC knockout games have NZ won? Are they chokers as well? It's four or five games FFS.

I do think there's an element of mental fragility about them under pressure, but you can't draw that conclusion based on a list of knockout results, you have to watch them play.

FTR, SA won the inaugural Champions Trophy in '98 when Tendulkar scored that hundred against Australia and took 4 wickets in the same game. Beat WI in the final IIRC.

Of course NZ have had the talent that South Africa have had in the last 10-12 years

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    you have to watch them play.
    I daresay most people on this forum have done that.

2007 WC semi stands out the most to me. A perfect example of Australian mindgames absolutely owning South Africa. The match was lost before the coin was even tossed

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Of course NZ have had the talent that South Africa have had in the last 10-12 years
    That is not the point. You cannot list a set of results to prove it is all I'm saying. SA have also lost to some damn good teams and individual performances (Lara, Ambrose, McGrath etc.) in that timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I daresay most people on this forum have done that.

2007 WC semi stands out the most to me. A perfect example of Australian mindgames absolutely owning South Africa. The match was lost before the coin was even tossed
    Yeah, I know people have watched SA.. and I agree they froze terribly in the 2007 semi after talking themselves up a great deal. I do think that is what makes people take extra pleasure in their failure.. they talk themselves up before the event, especially against Australia, and then fail to deliver.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    For me, nothing will come close to the '99 semi-final for choking, in a game of cricket, any form of the game. The run-out that forced the tie was bad enough, but when you realise that they still had two more balls to go after that to score one run with a high quality, set batsman on strike... it's just astonishing. If they just chose not to run and waited for another ball, they would have almost certainly won that world cup. The word is thrown around a lot in high level sport but the end of that game was the definition of a choke.

YouTube - Drama of 1999 world cup semi final
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    How many WC knockout games have NZ won? Are they chokers as well? It's four or five games FFS.

I do think there's an element of mental fragility about them under pressure, but you can't draw that conclusion based on a list of knockout results, you have to watch them play.

FTR, SA won the inaugural Champions Trophy in '98 when Tendulkar scored that hundred against Australia and took 4 wickets in the same game. Beat WI in the final IIRC.
    I kinda agree with this. The chokers tag is a bit overrated.

Banned
    Rsa only start playing in 1992.How many team have won WC since then

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    For me, nothing will come close to the '99 semi-final for choking, in a game of cricket, any form of the game. The run-out that forced the tie was bad enough, but when you realise that they still had two more balls to go after that to score one run with a high quality, set batsman on strike... it's just astonishing. If they just chose not to run and waited for another ball, they would have almost certainly won that world cup. The word is thrown around a lot in high level sport but the end of that game was the definition of a choke.

YouTube - Drama of 1999 world cup semi final
    That was obviously a choke, but it was before they really had such a reputation, and also it was two players.

2007 was basically the whole team falling into the trap Australia set. They put the pressure on SA through Ponting's and Hayden's taunts about how SA bat slow and how they are intimidated by Australia. SA tried to change their game and be something they weren't, and completely capitulated. Was unbelievable.

Ponting calling Kallis a slow-coach is the best pre-match mind games I've ever seen.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information