• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where we can improve

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
First of all I would like to credit South Africa, I have been one to call them a choker in the past not least last week, but today they held their nerve well.

As for our team, I still believe we have what it takes to win the World Cup, in terms of our skill and ability.

Having said that my concern is our decision making at key moments in the contest both with bat and on the field.

At 268-1 we really were in a position to get close to 400 or at least 350, that we got bowled out for 296 was criminal.

It felt watching the game, that because we know how talented our batting line up is on paper, we just kept going for it almost thinking that the law of averages is that one will come off.

I do think that we should have been far more responsible than that with that bat.

In the field we were decent lots of energy which I was happy to see, but I cannot understand why we bowled Nehra in that last over, after Zak gave away just 4 in the second to last over I was certain that Bhaji would bowl the last over and to be frank I liked our chances.

Any way congrats to South Africa on a very well deserved win, as for us, I think its important that we put in a good performance throughout the whole game against the West Indies to take confidence into the knockout stages.

Winning a world cup is not just about playing well it is about being ruthless when you get the chance as well.

We played well in patches against England and South Africa but lacked that ruthless streak to finish it off. I believe we do have the ability to do it and we can but want to see us really sticking the nail in the coffin if we find ourselves in the position we were in today again batting first!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good post. Need drastic improvements in our batting as well as bowling at the death.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel we play much better when the pressure is not on us. For example, in home series' we've done really well over the last few years. Except we're not able to replicate the same performances at the big stage. And now that we're in front of the home crowd, there is added pressure.

As much as others may criticize our bowling, I really don't think it's as poor as the last few games have suggested. We've bowled well in games outside of the ICC tournaments over the last few years. I remember quite a few close games where our bowling has pulled it through for us. It's about getting into the groove and really working hard to tune out the pressure.

salman85

International Debutant
Bowling.The batting is fine.But there's nothing that can be done in the middle of the tournament.The spinners are fine,but the fast bowling will not win you matches.

Daemon

I feel we play much better when the pressure is not on us. For example, in home series' we've done really well over the last few years. Except we're not able to replicate the same performances at the big stage. And now that we're in front of the home crowd, there is added pressure.

As much as others may criticize our bowling, I really don't think it's as poor as the last few games have suggested. We've bowled well in games outside of the ICC tournaments over the last few years. I remember quite a few close games where our bowling has pulled it through for us. It's about getting into the groove and really working hard to tune out the pressure.
Yeah, think our bowling is alot better on pitches that aren't so batsmen friendly. Remember that warm up game against Australia, and that 1 run victory over SA in SA, where our bowling won the game for us.

Blaze 18

Banned
The middle order needs to be more sensible. That is the most pressing issue. There's obviously room for improvement in the bowling department as well, but we can't really do much about it.

Mikey29

Banned
Won against all minnows, comfortably, which is a positive. Tie and a nailbiting loss to the two non-minnows you've played. Shows India will be in with a shout in every match from now. They just need to make better decisions in crucial moments. Although both South Africa and England battled back brilliantly in those matches, India had chances to shut them well out in their batting innings.

What you can improve on: Capitalise on great starts by just batting sensibly afterwards. Don't start 'slogging' till the last 5 overs.

Oh, and win against the West Indies. Not great mentally if you go through to the quarters playing a stronger team, knowing you haven't yet beaten a good team!

Last edited:

Burgey

So you're saying India are chokers?

Burgey

Yeah, think our bowling is alot better on pitches that aren't so batsmen friendly. Remember that warm up game against Australia, and that 1 run victory over SA in SA, where our bowling won the game for us.
Every team is better at bowling on pitches that help them. If India wants to prepare more bowler friendly pitches, when other teams have better bowlers, they're taking an enormous risk.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Every team is better at bowling on pitches that help them. If India wants to prepare more bowler friendly pitches, when other teams have better bowlers, they're taking an enormous risk.
India should really be preparing dust bowls IMO. Aside from Zaheer, the pace department is pretty horrid

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Get the best playing XI for all the games. And the best players in each aspect have a full role. Dhoni's tactics, all Yuvraj-friendly, don't allow for that. While nobody needs to teach the cricketers how to play, a high school student can manage this team better.

Why both Munaf and Nehra are still preferred over Sreesanth is something they can answer. Both of them maintain an economy not distant from Sree, without that impressive strike rate. Neither can field.

Likewise, Yuvraj is not the answer to India's all-round problem. In two games against non-minnows, he's been taken for loads of runs and not got a single wicket or maiden over. Those overs are best left to a proper bowler or even Yusuf Pathan, who's struggled in the marginal role in Dhoni's side. When he should have been a frontline all-rounder on his record in 2010 and beyond, he's become an occasional batsman who can bowl a bit. Now he's a victim of clouded thinking.

It does not matter how many batsmen India play, as it's essentially Sachin, Sehwag, Gambhir and Kohli. Dhoni's Yuvraj welfare has almost cost them one of these. In fact, Dhoni needs to take more of those batting chances himself, than give them to Yuvraj, who's way back in the race, and is only in the side due to Dhoni's persistence.

India have persisted with the wrong players, and it now shows. Munaf and Nehra over Sreesanth, Ishant, Pankaj and Vinay Kumar. Yuvraj over Yusuf and proper bowlers. Yuvraj enjoying loads of chances despite a horrendous year and a month before. Let's not even get to one bloke who had an unquestioned place in the side despite being totally irrelevant.

For the next game, a square turner is a necessity. West Indies have dangerous flat track bullies in their batting, and India's weakened bowling attack is weaker on flat decks. India's batting on square turners (or even other bowler-friendly pitches) is still better than their bowling on flat decks.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cant see how the batting is an issue. Key issue is the bowling because in both the game against England and against SA they havent looked like taking wickets until the slog overs. Not sure what the solution is given their squad composition, but I should think the best place for them to start is by picking Ashwin.