Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where we can improve

Where we can improve

First of all I would like to credit South Africa, I have been one to call them a choker in the past not least last week, but today they held their nerve well.

As for our team, I still believe we have what it takes to win the World Cup, in terms of our skill and ability.

Having said that my concern is our decision making at key moments in the contest both with bat and on the field.

At 268-1 we really were in a position to get close to 400 or at least 350, that we got bowled out for 296 was criminal.

It felt watching the game, that because we know how talented our batting line up is on paper, we just kept going for it almost thinking that the law of averages is that one will come off.

I do think that we should have been far more responsible than that with that bat.

In the field we were decent lots of energy which I was happy to see, but I cannot understand why we bowled Nehra in that last over, after Zak gave away just 4 in the second to last over I was certain that Bhaji would bowl the last over and to be frank I liked our chances.

Any way congrats to South Africa on a very well deserved win, as for us, I think its important that we put in a good performance throughout the whole game against the West Indies to take confidence into the knockout stages.

Winning a world cup is not just about playing well it is about being ruthless when you get the chance as well.

We played well in patches against England and South Africa but lacked that ruthless streak to finish it off. I believe we do have the ability to do it and we can but want to see us really sticking the nail in the coffin if we find ourselves in the position we were in today again batting first!

What are your thoughts guys?

vcs
    Good post. Need drastic improvements in our batting as well as bowling at the death.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    I feel we play much better when the pressure is not on us. For example, in home series' we've done really well over the last few years. Except we're not able to replicate the same performances at the big stage. And now that we're in front of the home crowd, there is added pressure.

As much as others may criticize our bowling, I really don't think it's as poor as the last few games have suggested. We've bowled well in games outside of the ICC tournaments over the last few years. I remember quite a few close games where our bowling has pulled it through for us. It's about getting into the groove and really working hard to tune out the pressure.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Bowling.The batting is fine.But there's nothing that can be done in the middle of the tournament.The spinners are fine,but the fast bowling will not win you matches.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    I feel we play much better when the pressure is not on us. For example, in home series' we've done really well over the last few years. Except we're not able to replicate the same performances at the big stage. And now that we're in front of the home crowd, there is added pressure.

As much as others may criticize our bowling, I really don't think it's as poor as the last few games have suggested. We've bowled well in games outside of the ICC tournaments over the last few years. I remember quite a few close games where our bowling has pulled it through for us. It's about getting into the groove and really working hard to tune out the pressure.
    Yeah, think our bowling is alot better on pitches that aren't so batsmen friendly. Remember that warm up game against Australia, and that 1 run victory over SA in SA, where our bowling won the game for us.

Banned
    The middle order needs to be more sensible. That is the most pressing issue. There's obviously room for improvement in the bowling department as well, but we can't really do much about it.

Clone this guy

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Clone this guy

I concur.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Lower order batting, bowling and fielding.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Cricket
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Make sure there are no issues with the team bus and arrive at the ground on time.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    You can improve by first of all beating a non minnow team

Banned
    Won against all minnows, comfortably, which is a positive. Tie and a nailbiting loss to the two non-minnows you've played. Shows India will be in with a shout in every match from now. They just need to make better decisions in crucial moments. Although both South Africa and England battled back brilliantly in those matches, India had chances to shut them well out in their batting innings.

What you can improve on: Capitalise on great starts by just batting sensibly afterwards. Don't start 'slogging' till the last 5 overs.

Oh, and win against the West Indies. Not great mentally if you go through to the quarters playing a stronger team, knowing you haven't yet beaten a good team!
    Last edited by Mikey29; 12-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post

So you're saying India are chokers?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information