• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Nehra

Fusion

Global Moderator
Just a word of caution to all: please don't spell out the swear word(s) or avoid the filter in any way. This rule applies to swear words of ANY language.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish keepers would swear more for us to hear :laugh: Is there any rule which can get them fined for stuff like that?

vcs

Salman's post was deleted. I agree there's no need to spell anything out. FFS, there might be kids reading this. There's a 99.99% chance they'll still know exactly what we're talking about, but no need to make it explicit.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wish keepers would swear more for us to hear :laugh: Is there any rule which can get them fined for stuff like that?
Head down to a Surrey or Ireland game on a day where Gary Wilson's keeping. You can hear him from the boundary.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Not sure what people are talking about. Bowling Nehra was the right move. Its standard to use a seamer in that situation.

Fact is, if you weren't planning on using the guy there then he shouldn't have played. Dhoni was just using the resources given to him, and placing trust in a young bowler.

In any case, its such a lottery at that stage its hard to place too much blame on anyone.

TumTum

Banned
Nehra could bowl some good yorkers at the death, taking Harbhajan apart would have been child's play.

shankar

International Debutant
Not sure what people are talking about. Bowling Nehra was the right move. Its standard to use a seamer in that situation.
I'd have bowled Harby. But you're right it wasn't a horrible decision. The mistake was made in not saving Zak for the final over. Even if they needed just 6 off it, I'd have been confident with him bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Fact is, if you weren't planning on using the guy there then he shouldn't have played. Dhoni was just using the resources given to him, and placing trust in a young bowler.

In any case, its such a lottery at that stage its hard to place too much blame on anyone.
LOL

z

R_D

International Debutant
Everyone I spoke to before that last over was bowled (people watching the game with me, mates that SMSed me right before the over, and a friend emailing me from friggin' London) immediately criticised the Nehra decision before he even bowled a ball. Check out the match thread, CW said the same thing.

Not sure why everyone is pretending like this criticism is hindsight.
haha... same here was watching with few mates and called it soon as Nehra came on... We've lost this one.

Its ridiculous how Nehra and Munaf insist on bowling line and length at the death overs.
FFS try to bowl a little fuller if you can't bowl Yorker.... With Nehra i've come to the terms that he's just **** so not much is expected of him.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Nah Bhaji was getting some uneven bounce and lower order batsmen are always going to prefer a gentle medium pacer who bowls it on a nice length

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, ok I assume that every useless Indian seamer is an impressionable, delicate youngster.

In any case, the fact that he's basically a vet means its even more correct to pick him to bowl.

If you think he's that bad, you should blame the Indian selectors.

If Harby even gets it slightly wrong he can be carted. Seamers can just bowl straight up yorkers. Its tried and tested.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Yeah, ok I assume that every useless Indian seamer is an impressionable, delicate youngster.

In any case, the fact that he's basically a vet means its even more correct to pick him to bowl.

If you think he's that bad, you should blame the Indian selectors.

If Harby even gets it slightly wrong he can be carted. Seamers can just bowl straight up yorkers. Its tried and tested.
Says a lot about the sad state of bowling affairs in India, but the second best yorker bowler in the India WC squad may be Harbhajan. A yard or two slower (:ph34r:) but more accurate...

Bowls something like a handy off cutter as well...

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Think my question really is why the heck is Ashish Nehra in the side given that he has been been pathetic for the entire last decade? I though Dhoni did a pretty good job captaining yesterday, with the exception of the decision to bowl Nehra in the last over because giving anyone who isnt ODI standard the last over of a crunch game is most certainly the wrong decision, especially when there is a perfectly decent option available.

IndiaLose

U19 12th Man
Think my question really is why the heck is Ashish Nehra in the side given that he has been been pathetic for the entire last decade? I though Dhoni did a pretty good job captaining yesterday, with the exception of the decision to bowl Nehra in the last over because giving anyone who isnt ODI standard the last over of a crunch game is most certainly the wrong decision, especially when there is a perfectly decent option available.
It's hard to figure out what Dhoni is thinking sometimes.

Daemon

You simply can't defend bowling Nehra in the last over. It was a decision Dhoni made purely out of gut feeling which clouded the most obvious decision he should have made. Nehra has hardly bowled an over without a 'hit me' ball in the last month or so. To expect him to do it all of a sudden means Dhoni just had a hunch. Poor decision, although I'm pretty sure SA would have won even if Bhajji was bowling. Just that we would at least have had a chance, with a miscued shot going into the air or something. With Nehra it was all too easy. Even that 'unlucky' inside edge was a **** ball, could have easily been flicked away down to fine leg or slogged over midwicket for six. The follow up length ball was even worse.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont think it was based on just a 'hunch'. I think he wanted to have a pace bowler bowling the final over instead of a spinner because generally a pace bowler is considered to be a safer bet, see Ajmal in the t20 semi final against Hussey. I dont exactly agree with that logic, and even if you agreed with that logic it seems absolutely ridiculous to put it in the incapable hands of Ashish Nehra.

smash84

The Tiger King
This

Dont think it was based on just a 'hunch'. I think he wanted to have a pace bowler bowling the final over instead of a spinner because generally a pace bowler is considered to be a safer bet, see Ajmal in the t20 semi final against Hussey. I dont exactly agree with that logic, and even if you agreed with that logic it seems absolutely ridiculous to put it in the incapable hands of Ashish Nehra.
Agree with you here that it was a calculated move but there was no other good seam option available in the team and I think that Dhoni was correct in having Zaheer in the 49th over. Had some other bowler gone for 10+ runs in that over then the final over would have been meaningless.