• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 29 - India v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, when you are going to make Grand statements as a fan about the chances of your team and annoy the hell out of others, Don't get annoyed at the backlash you receive from people when your team did not back your grand statements.

I am not terribly dissappointed at how Indian team has played, but we do not have the body of work so far in the tournament to make anymore claims about superiority over any of the QF bound teams.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Some of feel better that we have lost a game. Do not think we are a team that is going to win the WC without losing a single game. Better to lose in the group stages and now we have the law of averages off our back.

I actually felt Gambhir kind of killed the momentum we had, but considering the collapse he did fine. Batting power play does not mean people just go out and slog. That was really disappointing. And three seamers is not the way to go when 2 of them are not PK and Zaheer. It is time to try Ashwin and give him a chance to fail.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
But India is not like every other side though. We are supposed to be among the strongest contenders. India have lost only one and tied one when they should have won both. India have not played like a team.

So, despite that if the Indian Fans are going to continue to make Grand Predictions about India's chances against other team, then people are going to remind us that we have not done anything noticeable yet to deserve that prediction.

Before the tournament, India were among my favorites to win the tournament, based on how we have performed on last 5 games, they clearly are not. If I rank my teams about their chances to win based on how we have performed so far, Here is it :-

Australia,
SA,
SL,
Pakistan,
NZ
WI
India
England
Bangladesh.
You're right Sanz, we should just give the WC to Australia. Why even bother playing rest of the games? There is a reason it isn't handed out halfway through the tournament. And who says a prediction can only be made with the last couple of games in mind? There are elements such as belief, passion, and instincts involved.

By your logic, the "underdog" should never be predicted in favour of. With that said, I still think India are favourites considering the other factors I stated in response to one of your posts before (home advantage, recent home record, expectation to peak at the right time, etc). Anyway, this is exactly the reason why I wasn't planning on responding to the pessimism shown by some, we'll just wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. For now I'll leave you with a last note in mind, one you are perhaps familiar with -

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
You're right Sanz, we should just give the WC to Australia. Why even bother playing rest of the games? There is a reason it isn't handed out halfway through the tournament. And who says a prediction can only be made with the last couple of games in mind? There are elements such as belief, passion, and instincts involved.
lol......Turbi, by your logic India should have won all test matches, tournaments and ODI series that they every played in :p

Btw I do agree that not being able to win against two major teams is worrisome but it has to be taken into account that the margin of loss was very small. One or two things India's way and the match would have been India's. So it really is not the end of the world.

And yes India have certainly performed below expectations. Even I expected them to win against SA easily especially after their performance in SA. Home conditions should have helped them immensely. Maybe a little too much hype was created around India's batting and not too much attention paid to the fielding and bowling. Indian fielding has barely been better than Pak fielding and at that too if I include Khatmal (which is a damning indictment). Injury for Praveen doesn't help India but then they should play to their strengths and being in good spinners just as Australia are playing to their strengths and bringing 4 seamers to the SC.

Mikey29

Banned
India really aren't as strong as they have been made out to be by not just fans, but experts as well. Yes, they are ONE of the teams that are in the mix to be in the final. But the other teams in that mix are:
Aus
Sri Lanka
South Africa
Pakistan

I would have India grouped equally or below these teams. Certainly not above. India's bowling attack, all things considering, is worse than these 4 teams, by a long margin.

Additionally,
The way NZ played against Pakistan, one can't rule them out either. If they can play that well in one match, they can definately win 2 big matches when it counts and make it to the final.

The West Indies are also capable of playing 2 good games, and seem to be playing well going into the next stage, and England may surprise in the knockout stages. Underestimate them at your perill

So, while Indian fans aren't wrong in feeling they are in the mix, i think the favourites tag, considering their bowling, is just wrong.

If they make the same mistakes as they did with their batting against Eng and South Africa, they will not make it to the final. If they finish the innings off with any sort of purpose, they have a very good chance of beating any team in the comp.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Remarkable to believe that was Dale Steyn's first 5 wicket haul in ODIs and it only took him 6 years and 52 ODIs to accomplish that. Bowling average is now the right side of 30 and the ER is slower becoming more acceptable.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Remarkable to believe that was Dale Steyn's first 5 wicket haul in ODIs and it only took him 6 years and 52 ODIs to accomplish that. Bowling average is now the right side of 30 and the ER is slower becoming more acceptable.
He should retire from Tests to lengthen and focus on his ODI career :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That obviously wasn't what I was trying to imply there. But what I am saying is that, if you think two games is enough to pass judgement on our middle order and consider it to be a genuine area of concern, then so be it. But I refuse to forget the good results shown by our batting order in games prior to the WC (over a longer period of time) and label it as such so early on in the tournament. There is no doubt in my mind that it will come good, and we will see if I am right or wrong in the coming weeks. But no where in my post did I imply that our middle order is divine.

The way Yuvraj had played in the last 3 games, the way Pathan and Kohli batted in South Africa, they are bound to fail at some point or another. Of course the reverse also applies for our top order. Such is the nature of sport, at the end of the day we can only speculate and predict.
That's the beauty of World Cups though. How well you've played in the lead up to the tournament doesn't matter, it's how you're playing here and now that matters.

When your entire lower middle order has imploded spectacularly twice and your bowling has twice made pathetic attempts at defending big totals then you have a serious problem.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I disagree that India's defence of 296 was 'pathetic'. They only made a par score, and almost won. It was a regular performance.

Against England, yes their bowling was pathetic for sure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
More remarkable is that he's only played 52 ODIs in 6 years.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
You probably all know the guy personally and I am late to the party - but I found this a very entertaining write-up:

On the Road with Zaltzman | ESPN Cricinfo

Oh yes - while I am here and we are so under represented, mostly because of smaller sample size:

Go South Africa!

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought of replying back to all the pessimism in this thread regarding India's chances in this WC, but then decided against it. All seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction after only 2 proper games. Nonetheless, anything I say won't matter, all I can say is wait and watch; India will win this WC. Feel free to bump this if they don't, although I assure you all you won't be getting that chance.
I've heard quite a few people say this, so let's take a trip down memory lane.

T20 WC 2007 - India's first three matches

Vs. Scotland - Rained out
Vs. Pakistan - Match tied
Vs. NZL - India lost by 10 runs

Similarities much? Guess who won that tournament? Point is, we came back strong, it had only been 2 matches and far too early in the tournament.

People are quick to point out my optimism and unrealistic hopes. But if I was to even agree to that, some of you have to agree you've been far too pessimistic and have overreacted to a grand total of two games. If this was any other team, some of you guys would go into the match threads as neutrals and say something along the lines of the team still being dangerous, peaking at the right time, and/or anything can happen in KO stages etc.

My thinking behind this is that, India are a good ODI unit at home. Two games are too little to judge their chances off of. India have a great home record, and are a team that we've seen improve over the years. We just need to get back into form, and all it can take is one game. And if we play great cricket in the next 4 games, this cup is ours. :)
:cool: