Thread: World Cup replacements

Banned

World Cup replacements

'Gibson and officials of other teams might also have been astonished to learn that Mike Hussey of Australia and Eoin Morgan of England, two players in their original squads of 15 replaced after they were injured, are now to be allowed back. When the tournament's technical committee sanctioned the replacement of Adrian Barath and Carlton Baugh of the original West Indies squad with Kirk Edwards and Devon Thomas, the ICC media statement explained the process thus: "Any injury-based replacement requires a written submission to the event technical committee along with a diagnosis from a medical practitioner as to the extent of the injury. Once replaced, a player cannot return to the squad." It went on to list eight other injured players who been replaced, among them Hussey and Morgan. The supposition was that, according to the ICC statement, they would not be able to return. Yet Hussey has been okayed to come in for the injured Doug Bollinger and Morgan for Kevin Pietersen. Pressed on the issue, the ICC issued this "clarification" on Monday: "A replacement is a permanent change to the squad in that the incoming player becomes a full playing member of the squad and may not be 'swapped' back out of the squad. "If an injured player who has been replaced in a squad regains fitness, he would subsequently be eligible for selection as a replacement for a player who has been assessed under the normal process." Hence the way was cleared for Hussey and Morgan to return. Yet Zimbabwe were caught unawares. According to a source close to the team, they wanted to bring back Tinotenda Mawoyo, fit again after his earlier withdrawal, for Sean Williams, injured in the match against New Zealand. But they were guided by the earlier statement. By the time the "clarification" was issued they had already called up Vusi Sibanda instead.'

ICC under fire | Trinidad Express Newspaper | Sports

Anyone else getting the impression that the ICC is making it up as they go along?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Think Zimbabwe's complaints would have more of a base if it weren't already known that Hussey was available for recall before they picked their replacement.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    It's more than that, though....

The understanding that the WIndies operated under is that they had no choice but to pick two of their three reserves, which they did, and you saw the accompanying ICC media release....

That is what ZImbabwe operated under, which is understandable.

But the issues of Morgan and Hussey seem to differ.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It's a conspiracy to ensure an Ashes final IMO
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Banned
    I wouldn't put it quite like that, but the ICC's over-riding objective clearly seems to be financial during the World Cup, and that wouldn't hurt....

Before the World Cup, I've always had the suspicion that the ICC is the servant of the Big Three (India, England and Australia) but a dictator to the rest.

Now, after recent incidents, my suspicions are strengthened....

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    ICC is just an incompetent body.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    The understanding that the WIndies operated under is that they had no choice but to pick two of their three reserves, which they did, and you saw the accompanying ICC media release....
    If a team doesn't research the rules properly then I have no sympathy for them (especially when they start making up rules about 3 reserves and the like)

For the record, I am against this idea of a player previously declared injured being called up, but if it is in place (and it was known about before Zimbabwe made their pick so they have nobody to blame but themselves) then teams should play by them.

Thread Information