• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 28 - Bangladesh v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't deny that both this result and the one against Ireland were extremely pleasurable to hear about. Having said that, England still have The Ashes. Can't see them winning this though given their up and down form.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's bizarre, England seem to be doing a fine job of precisely matching the standard of their opposition.

Would loved an hour or two of legside pies from Anderson on Boxing Day or at Adelaide

Challis

U19 12th Man
Absolutely. I still maintain England are a quality side - this sort of thing can happen - but something doesn't quite seem right with the side. Personally speaking, I fully expect them to beat West Indies and advance to the next round. I very much hope Bangladesh don't go through, because it'll only mean an easy quarter-final for whoever tops the other group.
dwta. If Bangladesh advance instead of England then they thoroughly deserve to as in this format the teams who play best get through. It's not like in the old format where one freak result/anomaly means a team could get knocked out (India, Pakistan in 2007 etc).
Also your comment about Bangladesh being an easy game in the quarters is very harsh. If the game is against Sri Lanka or Pakistan then you have a point but if it is against Australia or New Zealand then it could be a close game.

Blaze 18

Banned
dwta. If Bangladesh advance instead of England then they thoroughly deserve to as in this format the teams who play best get through. It's not like in the old format where one freak result/anomaly means a team could get knocked out (India, Pakistan in 2007 etc).
Also your comment about Bangladesh being an easy game in the quarters is very harsh. If the game is against Sri Lanka or Pakistan then you have a point but if it is against Australia or New Zealand then it could be a close game.
First things first, Challis, no disrespect whatsoever intended. :)

But sorry, I feel whoever gets Bangladesh in the quarters is virtually guaranteed a semi-final spot. At least with England you know they are a quality side, a side capable of beating anyone. The same, however, cannot be said about Bangladesh. As regards your comment about Australia, surely you're kidding? We're talking about a side that has gone unbeaten for what, thirty-two World Cup games in a row! Bangladesh will need eleven Shakib-Al-Hasans for the game to be a close one.

Last edited:

Challis

U19 12th Man
First things first, Challis, no disrespect whatsoever intended. :)

But sorry, I feel whoever gets Bangladesh in the quarters is virtually guaranteed a semi-final spot. At least with England you know they are a quality side, a side capable of beating anyone. The same, however, cannot be said about Bangladesh. As regards your comment about Australia, surely you're kidding? We're talking about a side that has gone unbeaten for what, thirty-two World Cup games in a row! Bangladesh will need eleven Shakib-Al-Hasans for the game to be a close one.
even NZ who we beat 4-0 recently? As for Australia, maybe I was exaggerating a tad bit, about the game being a close one but I do feel you are under-estimating Bangladesh's ability in home conditions. We will find out soon enough as Australia will be touring Bangladesh straight after the World Cup to play some ODI, so we will just have to postpone this debate till then :starwars:

Also if I had to choose which team I would prefer Bangladesh to meet in a potential Quarterfinal game it would be in order of preference: NZ, Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and I don't think that is a surprising choice.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
even NZ who we beat 4-0 recently? As for Australia, maybe I was exaggerating a tad bit, about the game being a close one but I do feel you are under-estimating Bangladesh's ability in home conditions. We will find out soon enough as Australia will be touring Bangladesh straight after the World Cup to play some ODI, so we will just have to postpone this debate till then :starwars:

Also if I had to choose which team I would prefer Bangladesh to meet in a potential Quarterfinal game it would be in order of preference: NZ, Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and I don't think that is a surprising choice.
If I were a Bangladesh fan, my order of preference for quarterfinal opponents would be :

NZ > Pakistan > SL > Australia

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone willing to put in the effort of compiling a list of average batsmen scores by teams against minnow sides this wc?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I don't post much, but I'm just gonna make my avatar the flag of the last team to beat england each time - our ****eness deserves some kind of memorial.

It'll end up changing most weeks anyhow.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
England really disgraced themselves losing to 2 minnows within one competition. Now they are under pressure playing the windies.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
If I were a Bangladesh fan, my order of preference for quarterfinal opponents would be :

Tbf whoever Bangladesh do play in quarters (assuming they make it), they shall be happy to have such an easy tie. It is the most guaranteed route to the semis.

Challis

U19 12th Man

NZ is a given, but IMO playing SL in SL would be far tougher for Bangladesh than playing Australia in Bangladesh. Added to the fact that Bangladesh struggle against the other subcontinent sides because it's strength of spin and utilising home conditions are somewhat nullified.
I'm not saying Australia are going to be a walkover or anything, and of course Australia would be favourites but I do think they might struggle more against Bangladesh's spinners than any subcontinent team would.

Tbf whoever Bangladesh do play in quarters (assuming they make it), they shall be happy to have such an easy tie. It is the most guaranteed route to the semis.
8-)