• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 28 - Bangladesh v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Wow what a game that was. Thought the Bangers had it in the bag at 150/3 and never thought they had it in them to win after losing so many for so few. Anderson needs to sit out. Is going to be a tough game for the English against WI. WI have got good momentum and can very well seal their coffin. Considering the way England have gone in this WC they are going to win it by an inch and get through to the quarters.

Blaze 18

Banned
It's unlikely, but not impossible. If Pakistan beat Australia and New Zealand beat Sri Lanka, New Zealand will top Group A.
Oh yes, it's not impossible. New Zealand and Pakistan are very much capable of beating Sri Lanka and Australia, but I don't see it happening. Also, in the unlikely event that Pakistan beat Australia, they might very well end up topping the group themselves - so long as they also beat Zimbabwe, that is.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can't believe people can still blithely make posts claiming things aren't going to happen given the cricket we have seen this week.

Blaze 18

Banned
England have been involved in all the said matches though. The matches not involving England have pretty much gone along expected lines.

Woodster

International Captain
The thing that will inevitably be highlighted from this game is how poor England were, and rightly so, but Bangladesh also deserve plenty of credit after slipping to eight wickets down and seemingly out of the contest before turning the game on its head, fair play to Mahmudullah and Shafiul.

As for England, we cannot expect to lose to Ireland and Bangladesh and harbour genuine hopes of winning the World Cup (very optimistic at this stage), so it makes it more difficult to work out where England are at when they tie with India and beat SA.

Anderson's return to form was only very brief, I'm all for consistency in selection and a degree of loyalty to our reliable performers, but if there looks to be little in the pitch for the WI game, he has to sit it out.

The fact that we can still qualify for the quarter-finals after some of these performances is a major plus, unfortunately, going against us is the fact that we don't look like finding the necessary form soon enough to be a major player in this tournament.

Don't agree with the Prior switch, for Bopara to be effective he has to come in higher, which is possible should they shift Bell up to the opening slot. Tremlett should get a go against WI, and you never know, we may just sneak into the quarters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After the fluke of his Ashes campaign, it's good to see the really Jimmeh lay down, sorry - stand up :ph34r:

Blaze 18

Banned
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I thought Swann's behaviour was quite disappointing today. I am a big fan of his, but mouthing off at umpires is a definite no-no.

Blaze 18

Banned
England will advance. They gotta bowl first, that's it.

BD will lose to Netherlands.
They may or may not lose to Netherlands, but they will most certainly lose to South Africa. England don't have to worry about other results, really. They just have to beat West Indies.

Woodster

International Captain
They may or may not lose to Netherlands, but they will most certainly lose to South Africa. England don't have to worry about other results, really. They just have to beat West Indies.
Sounds simple, but this England side will ensure it is anything but.

Blaze 18

Banned
Sounds simple, but this England side will ensure it is anything but.
True. If England lift themselves for it like they did against South Africa, then it'll be a cracker. Two things that might work in England's favour :

a) the pitch in Chennai (Swann will love it)
b) having already qualified for the quarters, West Indies may decide to rest a player or two ahead of the all important knockout stages.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
True. If England lift themselves for it like they did against South Africa, then it'll be a cracker. Two things that might work in England's favour :

b) having already qualified for the quarters, West Indies may decide to rest a player or two ahead of the all important knockout stages.
West Indies have not yet offcially qualified a win against England or India would make sure of it, and given current form England would be the more likely place for that win to come from so I do not see the Windies resting anyone at all.

Woodster

International Captain

If we can manage 100 overs (if necessary) of good cricket, then we have every chance, but at the moment we cannot find the requisite standard in either discipline in the same game. One or two excellent individual performances here and there are not enough.

Blaze 18

Banned
West Indies have not yet offcially qualified a win against England or India would make sure of it, and given current form England would be the more likely place for that win to come from so I do not see the Windies resting anyone at all.
Not really. Even if they lose to both England and India, it'll come down to NRR. Their NRR is quite amazing at the moment, thanks to comprehensive wins against Bangladesh and Netherlands. Which means unless they lose by some ridiculous margin against England and India, they'll go through to the next round. See Howe_zat's post in the other thread.

Blaze 18

Banned
If we can manage 100 overs (if necessary) of good cricket, then we have every chance, but at the moment we cannot find the requisite standard in either discipline in the same game. One or two excellent individual performances here and there are not enough.
Absolutely. I still maintain England are a quality side - this sort of thing can happen - but something doesn't quite seem right with the side. Personally speaking, I fully expect them to beat West Indies and advance to the next round. I very much hope Bangladesh don't go through, because it'll only mean an easy quarter-final for whoever tops the other group.