Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Rank the hundreds scored in this World Cup...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456

    Rank the hundreds scored in this World Cup...

    from best to worst.

    To refresh everyone's memory here's the list of centuries scored so far :

    1) Ryan ten Doeschate's 119 against England.
    2) AB de Villiers' 107* against West Indies.
    3) AB de Villiers' 134 against Netherlands.
    4) Ross Taylor's 131* against Pakistan.
    5) Hashim Amla's 113 against Netherlands.
    6) Mahela Jayawardene's 100 against Canada.
    7) Kavin O'Brien's 113 against England.
    8) Virender Sehwag's 175 against Bangladesh.
    9) Virat Kohli's 100* against Bangladesh.
    10)Andrew Strauss' 158 against India.
    11)Sachin Tendulkar''s 120 against England.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    40,395
    O'Brien, Taylor, Strauss, RTD the top four IMO. Maybe in that order. Not sure though.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Only 3 100s deserve any ranking, O'Brien, Taylor and RTD. Rest, although helped their team win, were nothing special.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,487
    Taylor got some really incredible luck at the start though.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    I don't call that luck, I call that strategic disadvantage to Pakistan.

  6. #6
    State Regular Maximus0723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Taylor got some really incredible luck at the start though.
    So did RtD.
    Greatest Test XI::: S Gavaskar, M Hayden, D Bradman*, S Tendulkar, A Border, G Sobers, A Gilchrist, I Khan, S Warne, M Marshall, G McGrath
    Reserves: B Richards, V Richards, A Knott, M Muralitharan

    Greatest ODI XI::: A Gilchrist, S Tendulkar, R Ponting*, V Richards, M Dhoni, M Bevan, S Pollock, W Akram, S Warne, J Garner, M Muralitharan, A Donald
    Reserves: A deVilliars, B Lara, R Hadlee, S Warne

  7. #7
    International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,377
    O Brien, Strauss, RTD, Sachin for me.

    Ross Taylor's was a good knock but considering the luck involved I don't rate it among the best. Haven't watched the other centuries. So cannot rate them.

  8. #8
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    O Brien, Strauss, RTD, Sachin for me.

    Ross Taylor's was a good knock but considering the luck involved I don't rate it among the best. Haven't watched the other centuries. So cannot rate them.
    Taylor's knock was all about a quality player coming to the crease in terrible nick and through a combination of luck (which happens in cricket) and perseverence, coming out of it to play a brilliant matchwinning innings for a team that need him desperately to fire in this tournament. Like everything else in cricket, context is everything.

    O'Brien's knock and possibly RTD's and Strauss' are the only ones I'd put in the same category tbh, and it's the context that gives them such gravitas in all cases. No bad knocks there obviously, although I've only seen about half of them.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,563
    Sachin's hundred is being underrated I feel. Some absolutely fantastic shots and brilliantly well paced. What was particularly impressive was how he kept hitting Swann out of it, really forced him on to the back foot when he wasn't bowling badly, certainly not as badly as the rest of the side. Just as good as RtD's knock.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

  10. #10
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Only 3 100s deserve any ranking, O'Brien, Taylor and RTD. Rest, although helped their team win, were nothing special.
    The Strauss innings was absolute class. A wonderful hundred without any of the power hitting of others, shows proper players can thrive in one day cricket too.

    FTR Burgey for once has it bang on. The order can be argued about possibly but they are the best 4 by a country mile.

  11. #11
    International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Taylor's knock was all about a quality player coming to the crease in terrible nick and through a combination of luck (which happens in cricket) and perseverence, coming out of it to play a brilliant matchwinning innings for a team that need him desperately to fire in this tournament. Like everything else in cricket, context is everything.

    O'Brien's knock and possibly RTD's and Strauss' are the only ones I'd put in the same category tbh, and it's the context that gives them such gravitas in all cases. No bad knocks there obviously, although I've only seen about half of them.
    Somehow the dropped chances and the worst bowling I have seen in this world cup really colour my view on his innings. Was a great innings but I felt the other 4 I listed were better.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    40,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Sachin's hundred is being underrated I feel. Some absolutely fantastic shots and brilliantly well paced. What was particularly impressive was how he kept hitting Swann out of it, really forced him on to the back foot when he wasn't bowling badly, certainly not as badly as the rest of the side. Just as good as RtD's knock.
    Yeah it was a wonderful hundred too.

  13. #13
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,711
    I'll do a top 5:

    1. O'brien
    2. Strauss
    3. Taylor
    4. Sachin
    5. RtD
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  14. #14
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,053
    O'Brian and RTD's century are of more value to them and the team as a whole both scored against test teams, i think we are generally going to rate them higher, just because the odds against them were great.

  15. #15
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    O'Brien
    Taylor
    Strauss
    Tendulkar
    Sehwag
    RtD

    out of the ones I've seen. Missed AB's knocks, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 396
    Last Post: 16-02-2012, 02:38 AM
  2. We will be disappointing 20m people says Mahela
    By Delo12 in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-02-2011, 06:11 PM
  3. Why Pakistan will win the World Cup
    By angad in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-01-2011, 12:01 AM
  4. How does this World Cup Rank so far with other World Cups
    By JASON in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 27-06-2006, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •