• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the hundreds scored in this World Cup...

Blaze 18

Banned
from best to worst.

To refresh everyone's memory here's the list of centuries scored so far :

1) Ryan ten Doeschate's 119 against England.
2) AB de Villiers' 107* against West Indies.
3) AB de Villiers' 134 against Netherlands.
4) Ross Taylor's 131* against Pakistan.
5) Hashim Amla's 113 against Netherlands.
6) Mahela Jayawardene's 100 against Canada.
7) Kavin O'Brien's 113 against England.
8) Virender Sehwag's 175 against Bangladesh.
9) Virat Kohli's 100* against Bangladesh.
10)Andrew Strauss' 158 against India.
11)Sachin Tendulkar''s 120 against England.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
O'Brien, Taylor, Strauss, RTD the top four IMO. Maybe in that order. Not sure though.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Only 3 100s deserve any ranking, O'Brien, Taylor and RTD. Rest, although helped their team win, were nothing special.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't call that luck, I call that strategic disadvantage to Pakistan.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
O Brien, Strauss, RTD, Sachin for me.

Ross Taylor's was a good knock but considering the luck involved I don't rate it among the best. Haven't watched the other centuries. So cannot rate them.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
O Brien, Strauss, RTD, Sachin for me.

Ross Taylor's was a good knock but considering the luck involved I don't rate it among the best. Haven't watched the other centuries. So cannot rate them.
Taylor's knock was all about a quality player coming to the crease in terrible nick and through a combination of luck (which happens in cricket) and perseverence, coming out of it to play a brilliant matchwinning innings for a team that need him desperately to fire in this tournament. Like everything else in cricket, context is everything.

O'Brien's knock and possibly RTD's and Strauss' are the only ones I'd put in the same category tbh, and it's the context that gives them such gravitas in all cases. No bad knocks there obviously, although I've only seen about half of them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sachin's hundred is being underrated I feel. Some absolutely fantastic shots and brilliantly well paced. What was particularly impressive was how he kept hitting Swann out of it, really forced him on to the back foot when he wasn't bowling badly, certainly not as badly as the rest of the side. Just as good as RtD's knock.

flibbertyjibber

Only 3 100s deserve any ranking, O'Brien, Taylor and RTD. Rest, although helped their team win, were nothing special.
The Strauss innings was absolute class. A wonderful hundred without any of the power hitting of others, shows proper players can thrive in one day cricket too.

FTR Burgey for once has it bang on. The order can be argued about possibly but they are the best 4 by a country mile.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Taylor's knock was all about a quality player coming to the crease in terrible nick and through a combination of luck (which happens in cricket) and perseverence, coming out of it to play a brilliant matchwinning innings for a team that need him desperately to fire in this tournament. Like everything else in cricket, context is everything.

O'Brien's knock and possibly RTD's and Strauss' are the only ones I'd put in the same category tbh, and it's the context that gives them such gravitas in all cases. No bad knocks there obviously, although I've only seen about half of them.
Somehow the dropped chances and the worst bowling I have seen in this world cup really colour my view on his innings. Was a great innings but I felt the other 4 I listed were better.

Burgey

Sachin's hundred is being underrated I feel. Some absolutely fantastic shots and brilliantly well paced. What was particularly impressive was how he kept hitting Swann out of it, really forced him on to the back foot when he wasn't bowling badly, certainly not as badly as the rest of the side. Just as good as RtD's knock.
Yeah it was a wonderful hundred too.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
O'Brian and RTD's century are of more value to them and the team as a whole both scored against test teams, i think we are generally going to rate them higher, just because the odds against them were great.

vcs

O'Brien
Taylor
Strauss
Tendulkar
Sehwag
RtD

out of the ones I've seen. Missed AB's knocks, unfortunately.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. O'Brien
2. Daylight
3. Strauss
4. Tendulkar
5. RTD
6. Taylor
7. Sehwag
8. Jayawardene
9. De Villers v West Indies
10. Kohli
11. Amla
12. De Villiers v Netherlands

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why was Mahela's knock better than AB's vs. West Indies?

AB hit three orgasmic drives through cover after coming in at 2/20, and completely turned the game around.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why was Mahela's knock better than AB's vs. West Indies?

AB hit three orgasmic drives through cover after coming in at 2/20, and completely turned the game around.
I knew people would ask that. :p

Jayawardene came in with Sri Lanka precariously placed at 88/2 after 20 overs against Canada (they made 332 in the end) so he definitely turned the game a bit too, in a way. Realistically from a situational standpoint as well as a standard of opposition one De Villiers should win out but I just decided to be biased and put Jayawardene's ahead of it because I found the quality of batsmanship throughout it to be exquisite.

Quite unlike me really. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it was Botham that said Mahela's knock was one of the best he saw in recent times. Found that quite surprising considering it was against Canada. I only watched bits and pieces, but it must have been a gorgeous innings, because it has been praised.