Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 124

Thread: Quarterfinal Scenarios

  1. #1
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168

    Quarterfinal Scenarios

    Half way through the tournament,we can get a bit of an Idea about how the QFs would shape up.Bring in the predictions/guess work.

    I think it will end up like this :

    Pakistan vs India
    Srilanka vs England
    New Zealand vs SouthAfrica
    Australia vs West Indies

    Other guesses?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Group A

    1) Australia
    2) Sri Lanka
    3) New Zealand
    4) Pakistan

    Group B

    1) India
    2) South Africa
    3) England
    4) West Indies

    I'm fairly confident about the order of the first group. The second one is a lot trickier. You could easily swap India-South Africa and England-West Indies.

    Australia vs West Indies
    Sri Lanka vs England
    New Zealand vs South Africa
    India vs Pakistan

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,388
    I think the Aus-Pak match is the key in group A. I get the feeling that Pak will beat Aus this time around. I think the last time Aus lost to a team in the WC was the match against Pak in 99 right?

    I back Pakistan because they usually don't have trouble against express pace. Line and length bowlers like Macca are another matter though.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  4. #4
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Group A

    1) Australia
    2) Sri Lanka
    3) New Zealand
    4) Pakistan

    Group B

    1) India
    2) South Africa
    3) England
    4) West Indies

    I'm fairly confident about the order of the first group. The second one is a lot trickier. You could easily swap India-South Africa and England-West Indies.

    Australia vs West Indies
    Sri Lanka vs England
    New Zealand vs South Africa
    India vs Pakistan
    I concur.


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think the Aus-Pak match is the key in group A. I get the feeling that Pak will beat Aus this time around. I think the last time Aus lost to a team in the WC was the match against Pak in 99 right?

    I back Pakistan because they usually don't have trouble against express pace. Line and length bowlers like Macca are another matter though.
    If Pakistan manage to beat Australia, that will change everything. A win will take them to the top of the group, whereas a loss will push them to four. It's amazing how much difference one result can make.

  6. #6
    U19 12th Man angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    246



  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by angad View Post


    While you are at it, why not declare the WC winner and finish the suspense.

  8. #8
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,210
    Personally think Australia and India are highly likely to finish top of their respective groups. Second, third and fourth in both groups are still very open with a lot of different scenarios, but all teams will be trying hard to avoid 4th place and having to face India or Australia.

    Group B have three big matches that will decide a lot coming up tomorrow and the next day.

  9. #9
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,210
    The winner of the World Cup is Ijaz? Australia and India will be disappointed.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    According to the Cricinfo Schedule the Quarterfinal between A4 Vs B1 will be played in SL and that means India will be playing Pakistan in Sri Lanka ? How weird would that be.

  11. #11
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,053
    that wont be weird at all for pakistan, what would be weird for pakistan is playing in pakistan.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    According to the Cricinfo Schedule the Quarterfinal between A4 Vs B1 will be played in SL and that means India will be playing Pakistan in Sri Lanka ? How weird would that be.
    I thought there was an announcement a while back that the hosts will play all knock-out games in their home venues?

    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    that wont be weird at all for pakistan, what would be weird for pakistan is playing in pakistan.
    Haha.
    Last edited by Fusion; 09-03-2011 at 03:14 PM.

  13. #13
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    If Pakistan manage to beat Australia, that will change everything. A win will take them to the top of the group, whereas a loss will push them to four. It's amazing how much difference one result can make.
    Hmmm, potentially. But then everyone will be sitting on one loss - except one of NZ/SL who will have two. We've got an excellent NRR (helped a lot by the non-counting of the SL match admittedly) and we're yet to play the two minnows' minnows.

    I mean, I can see Pakistan beating us, but I don't see us getting absolutely mercilessly flogged which is probably what will need to happen if we're to finish 3rd.
    Last edited by Spark; 09-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  14. #14
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    According to the Cricinfo Schedule the Quarterfinal between A4 Vs B1 will be played in SL and that means India will be playing Pakistan in Sri Lanka ? How weird would that be.
    That schedule isn't set in stone as they're changing the venues depending on who qualifies where - India's quarter final is in India regardless of where they finish in their group.

    Likewise, SL will play at home in any scenario where they don't face India.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,703
    I really don't want an India and Pakistan Quarter Final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 09-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hosts to play knockout matches at Home
    By Cevno in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-02-2011, 01:04 PM
  2. *Official* 2007 Football World Cup thread
    By steds in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 30-09-2007, 10:31 AM
  3. magpie edition - historical scenarios
    By hallmitchell in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 08:18 PM
  4. Historical scenarios editing
    By hallmitchell in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-08-2004, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •