• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal Scenarios

salman85

International Debutant
Half way through the tournament,we can get a bit of an Idea about how the QFs would shape up.Bring in the predictions/guess work.

I think it will end up like this :

Pakistan vs India
Srilanka vs England
New Zealand vs SouthAfrica
Australia vs West Indies

Other guesses?

Blaze 18

Banned
Group A

1) Australia
2) Sri Lanka
3) New Zealand
4) Pakistan

Group B

1) India
2) South Africa
3) England
4) West Indies

I'm fairly confident about the order of the first group. The second one is a lot trickier. You could easily swap India-South Africa and England-West Indies.

Australia vs West Indies
Sri Lanka vs England
New Zealand vs South Africa
India vs Pakistan

smash84

The Tiger King
I think the Aus-Pak match is the key in group A. I get the feeling that Pak will beat Aus this time around. I think the last time Aus lost to a team in the WC was the match against Pak in 99 right?

I back Pakistan because they usually don't have trouble against express pace. Line and length bowlers like Macca are another matter though.

IndiaLose

U19 12th Man
Group A

1) Australia
2) Sri Lanka
3) New Zealand
4) Pakistan

Group B

1) India
2) South Africa
3) England
4) West Indies

I'm fairly confident about the order of the first group. The second one is a lot trickier. You could easily swap India-South Africa and England-West Indies.

Australia vs West Indies
Sri Lanka vs England
New Zealand vs South Africa
India vs Pakistan
I concur.

Blaze 18

Banned
I think the Aus-Pak match is the key in group A. I get the feeling that Pak will beat Aus this time around. I think the last time Aus lost to a team in the WC was the match against Pak in 99 right?

I back Pakistan because they usually don't have trouble against express pace. Line and length bowlers like Macca are another matter though.
If Pakistan manage to beat Australia, that will change everything. A win will take them to the top of the group, whereas a loss will push them to four. It's amazing how much difference one result can make.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Personally think Australia and India are highly likely to finish top of their respective groups. Second, third and fourth in both groups are still very open with a lot of different scenarios, but all teams will be trying hard to avoid 4th place and having to face India or Australia.

Group B have three big matches that will decide a lot coming up tomorrow and the next day.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
According to the Cricinfo Schedule the Quarterfinal between A4 Vs B1 will be played in SL and that means India will be playing Pakistan in Sri Lanka ? How weird would that be.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
that wont be weird at all for pakistan, what would be weird for pakistan is playing in pakistan.

Fusion

Global Moderator
According to the Cricinfo Schedule the Quarterfinal between A4 Vs B1 will be played in SL and that means India will be playing Pakistan in Sri Lanka ? How weird would that be.
I thought there was an announcement a while back that the hosts will play all knock-out games in their home venues?

that wont be weird at all for pakistan, what would be weird for pakistan is playing in pakistan.
Haha.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
If Pakistan manage to beat Australia, that will change everything. A win will take them to the top of the group, whereas a loss will push them to four. It's amazing how much difference one result can make.
Hmmm, potentially. But then everyone will be sitting on one loss - except one of NZ/SL who will have two. We've got an excellent NRR (helped a lot by the non-counting of the SL match admittedly) and we're yet to play the two minnows' minnows.

I mean, I can see Pakistan beating us, but I don't see us getting absolutely mercilessly flogged which is probably what will need to happen if we're to finish 3rd.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That schedule isn't set in stone as they're changing the venues depending on who qualifies where - India's quarter final is in India regardless of where they finish in their group.

Likewise, SL will play at home in any scenario where they don't face India.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I really don't want an India and Pakistan Quarter Final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
i really don't want an india and pakistan quarter final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.
+1.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is everybody so sure that India will finish top of their group... they've been fairly unimpressive so far. Can see them losing to SA/WI or both.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is everybody so sure that India will finish top of their group... they've been fairly unimpressive so far. Can see them losing to SA/WI or both.
SA and WI haven't exactly set the world on fire either tbh.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't want an India and Pakistan Quarter Final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.
Yeah, I think just about every Indian/Pakistani will.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think SA have looked very good, bar one bad innings against England. Then again, that is something they've been guilty of in the past as well.. i.e. look very good for long stretches and stuff up badly when it comes to the crunch situations.