• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 26 - Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jayzamann

International Regular
I like Dilshan quite a lot, actually. For every awesome character in this SL side, there's a forgettable one. Openers being case in point.

salman85

International Debutant
I hope Tharanga gets run out on 99.

And seriously,now Dilshan should start playing blindfolded.Atleast we'd get some exictement.

tooextracool

International Coach
I actuallly have some time for Tharanga and even have him in my fantasy team. However, this has been some pretty ordinary batting from SL. Talk about putting the milestone ahead of your team? Does Tharanga really need another 100 against Zimbabwe? Or is it more important to up the ante, even if it means getting out in the 80s or 90s and even give some of your teammates in the dressing room some time in the middle? SL could have used Angelo Matthews and Thilan Samaraweera in particular getting some time in the middle and these 2 have ensured that neither of them will get that. Selfish stuff.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I've only started following this on cricinfo, are these two just conserving their wickets or something? They're still plodding along at a run-a-ball.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
These two have batted very well.

But this is why IMHO in the group stages we had the right approach by going hard at it, in these types of matches even if you lose a few poles you are never going to lose and it would give the middle order some exposure.

Cant help but feel SL have missed a trick here which may well cost them later in the tournament if their middle order are needed in a pressure situation!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You want your openers to get into the habit of going on and making it count. Much rather this than what India have done in the last couple of games.. i.e. batsmen getting off to starts and throwing it away, putting needless pressure on the middle order batsmen.

EDIT : LOL, and Dhoni_fan appears, right on cue.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed. We saw that with Haddin during the 7-match series - kept looking awesome, then getting out, and exposing out-of-form middle order bats. These two were smart to cool down after about 7 or 8 overs, not try to break the world ODI record.

Mind you they waited about 10 overs too long to go for it. Too busy trying to chalk up one under the hundreds column, one thinks.

Last edited:

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
You want your openers to get into the habit of going on and making it count. Much rather this than what India have done in the last couple of games.. i.e. batsmen getting off to starts and throwing it away, putting needless pressure on the middle order batsmen.

VCS I disagree with you dealing is pressure is vital to winning a world cup! the kind of "pressure" we were under wasnt real pressure because we never realistically looked like we would lose the game.

Same time it gave our players time in the middle, as I say SL have done well as far as this match goes and great partnership but come the latter rounds I would have thought you would have wanted your middle order to have had a bat found some form and faced some pressure!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These two have batted very well.

But this is why IMHO in the group stages we had the right approach by going hard at it, in these types of matches even if you lose a few poles you are never going to lose and it would give the middle order some exposure.

Cant help but feel SL have missed a trick here which may well cost them later in the tournament if their middle order are needed in a pressure situation!

Lolz.

So you're better off losing wickets cheaply by throwing wood recklessly, than going over a run a ball and putting on close to 300 for one wicket, with overs still to bat? You are if you're India, apparently.

D_F, you have some funny ideas on cricket.