• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Bopara

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way that bopara and White play with the bat away from the body is very similar. One of the best calls for similar styles of players. Both can be destructive but the technical flaws they have make you think they can get out at any time.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Bopara got dropped about 5000000 times against the West Indies and his 3rd ton against them came in the return tour over here didn't it? Cold May morning I seem to remember when the entire West Indies wanted to be a million miles away.
In Tests he's yet to score and runs against any real opposition.

In ODIs he's been used and abused throughout the order. Is a big hitter and can clear the ropes from the off but can play proper innings too. You don't hit a double century in a List A game if you can't.
Think his role in this England side is batting 6 and use his bowling as a partnership breaker. Has a knack for taking wickets even if he is a bit expensive. Needs to be given a proper run in the side though.
This
I'm an essex lad and I can understand his exclusion from the test side... Od's is different though, once he gets a defined role and hopefully learn how to run between the wickets, he should get his average right up and Englands batting line up for me is pretty complete, reckon he's got the necessery temprament and confidence to have a seriously good finish to this world cup

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon that there's a little subplot going on now between Bopara and Morgan to see who replaces Collingwood in the test side in against Sri Lanka May. Morgan must be in pole position as he actually made the ashes squad, but these things can change.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I reckon that there's a little subplot going on now between Bopara and Morgan to see who replaces Collingwood in the test side in against Sri Lanka May. Morgan must be in pole position as he actually made the ashes squad, but these things can change.
Definately. Morgan is in pole, as you say - I think Morgan has explicitly been named as Collingwood's successor in interviews and the like.

However, given that Morgan got into the Test side via ODIs in the first place, Bopara putting in an impressive performance here will have people pushing for his inclusion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bopara for Colly, bloody hell. Doesn't bear thinking about.

But then they are bloody big shoes to step into.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Definately. Morgan is in pole, as you say - I think Morgan has explicitly been named as Collingwood's successor in interviews and the like.

However, given that Morgan got into the Test side via ODIs in the first place, Bopara putting in an impressive performance here will have people pushing for his inclusion.
Especially if Morgan's poor run of form in Aus continues. Plus Bopara can contribute a few overs with the ball.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Especially if Morgan's poor run of form in Aus continues. Plus Bopara can contribute a few overs with the ball.
Could be an important factor, actually. As we're now set on the 4-man attack, Colly as the fifth option will be missed and Trott's mediums don't really inspire much confidence.

I'd still back Morgan to have a better career tho, whilst he has problems around his off stump he does have a wonderful calmness about him. He strikes one as a chap who treats Kipling's twin imposters with equanimity. If he doesn't make it it will because he wasn't good enough rather than being unable to handle the pressure at the top level.

flibbertyjibber

Can't see Bloopara getting back in the test side. I think Hildreth and Taylor are both ahead of him now for that format, not as though he has gone back to Essex and made masses of runs in the Championship.

If he gets picked for the 1st Sri Lanka test then he is a very lucky boy.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see Bloopara getting back in the test side. I think Hildreth and Taylor are both ahead of him now for that format, not as though he has gone back to Essex and made masses of runs in the Championship.

Do you know whether Hildreth & Taylor are playing for the Lions this winter? And if so, how they're going?

flibbertyjibber

Do you know whether Hildreth & Taylor are playing for the Lions this winter? And if so, how they're going?
They are and both have scored hundreds, If you check out the West Indies domestic page on Cricinfo you can see how many runs they have and compare them to the Windies players in the same comp. The batting is going well out there.

Woodster

International Captain

At least after not getting an IPL contract, Bopara will give himself the best opportunity to score some Championship runs prior to the SL series. Personally hoped both Bopara and Morgan would sit out the IPL this year in order to get their game in order for possible Test selection.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It was more the way he kept getting out IMO. He just didn't look technically equipped to deal with a decent pace attack.
Yeah, he wasnt. Not seen enough of him recently to know if he has made any changes and has overcome his issues. Not an easy thing to do give the positions he got his hands in.

King Pietersen

International Captain
:wub: Ravi. Just wish England would use him properly in ODi cricket, which they now seem to be doing. He's good enough to bat 3 for Essex, but not England. He's done well finishing the innings down the order, and that's where he should be, at 6. Pretty much all of his success in ODi's has come down the order, so I was amazed he was persisted with at the top the order for so long. Would love to see him back in the Test side, but even as a Ravi fanboy I'd rather Jimmy Taylor got the nod.