• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Best bowling attack in the current world cup?

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pace and bounce from Broad, reverse swing from Anderson, control from Bresnan, the best spinner in Swann, and backup from Yardy and Pietersen.

Lots of versatility there, I would agree they have the best attack, unlike say the one dimensional pace of Australia, and India's long-hop-bowling spinners.....

Spark

Global Moderator
IF they bowl anywhere near like they can, then absolutely. Broad is a superb one-day bowler, Swann is world class and Anderson can bowl magic balls. 5th bowler is a problem but Bresnan nowadays is a perfectly good foil for the three of them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Now that KP has gone home they will be missing their second best spinner, which is a huge loss.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA for me. Great depth, variety, bowlers who can produce magic and plenty of wicket-takers.

Burgey

Pace and bounce from Broad, reverse swing from Anderson, control from Bresnan, the best spinner in Swann, and backup from Yardy and Pietersen.

Lots of versatility there, I would agree they have the best attack, unlike say the one dimensional pace of Australia, and India's long-hop-bowling spinners.....
Ignore the big spinning Crayfish and Ferret Face at your peril!!!

Weston-Super-Mare a genuinely gun place name btw.

Mike5181

International Captain
One good performance doesn't excuse the other three bad ones. South Africa bowled marginally as good in the same game.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I still haven't seen enough evidence to rate Anderson to be consistently decent in the SC. Broad and Swann, as I've always maintained, are extremely good LO bowlers though.

Rate Oz and SA ahead on how I think they'll perform in the rest of the WC.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
One good performance doesn't excuse the other three bad ones. South Africa bowled marginally as good in the same game.
Exactly. If England set 300 and they were bowled out for that score then it'd show the English attack as pretty good. As it was though, a tough pitch to bat on, I think most sides woulda done similar.

Spark

Global Moderator
That was no way a 170 vs. 170 pitch. 200 was at least a par score on that pitch. Both sides bowled well and batted horribly.

Let me make it clear - given the haphazard usage of Swann, the inexplicable underbowling (not to mention late bowling) of Anderson and Broad and the reliance on KP and Yardy (ffs) when the game was there for the killing, SA should still have won it. But those three alone bowling as they can bowl - like they did yesterday, like they did most of last year - are IMO amongst the best in the world. I really don't want to split them, SA and our trio.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont think the Australian bowling attack is anywhere near as good as it is being made out to be. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and call it absolutely atrocious. It doesnt help though that there arent too many attacks in this world cup that arent atrocious.

With regards to England, I think what we are seeing here is that when the pitch is slow or there is a little bit in the air, they are a bowling attack to contend with as we saw in the Caribbean during their t20 world cup campaign. This is largely because it brings Anderson into the game, and Broad is a fairly capable bowler when it comes to bowling his off cutters. Think the problem with the England side isnt necessarily Anderson, Broad, Swann or Bresnan, its actually Yardy and the batting which is pretty much a joke. The addition of Bopara looks to have added some much needed backbone, but outside of Strauss and Trott the rest of the batting card still looks fairly vulnerable. If Morgan comes in to replace KP, it would be a massive, massive blessing in disguise and I could care less if Morgan hasnt held a bat in a month.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think the problem with the England side isnt necessarily Anderson, Broad, Swann or Bresnan, its actually Yardy and the batting which is pretty much a joke.
Definite AWTA.

I mean you could see yesterday that they were so obviously sitting on Swann, and didn't want to have a bar of him, because they knew he would only bowl 10 overs - and in fact only 6 after Smith had somehow, through tenacity and the most concentrated blessings of Lady Luck one could possibly see, seen off four of them before facing the inevitable - and in between KP and Yardy (ffs) would have to fill the rest. I mean, all Swann can do there is try to bowl magic balls every ball because that's the only way he could get wickets. Because he's awesome, he managed to produce on average about one an over, but it's way too much too ask.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Assuming we're only talking about bowling attacks in these conditions, I'd have Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Australia above England.

vcs

It looks like SA can go 50 overs without turning to Kallis at all, or maybe giving him only a couple of overs, that's pretty impressive depth.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain

Anderson-Are you forgetting his economy was 8-9 in his first two games in this world cup? Without swing on these pitches, top teams will be licking their lips at the prospect of facing him. Cannon fodder.

Broad-Not penetrative enough, decent ODI bowler on these pitches.

Swann-His effectiveness is questionable since teams from the subcontinent play him well.

Pietersen-Seriously?

Yardy/Colly-Adequate, nothing more.

It's a batsmen's game anyway, on these pitches everyone will go for runs, so if a team can score a lot they will be at a huge advantage. That's why India are one of the favourites.