• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Best bowling attack in the current world cup?

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Eng one of the best bowling attacks WTF? is the OP for real? is your memory that short, you went for 292 against Holland and 328 against Ireland!! Minnows!!! FFS Not to mention 338 against us!

You took a few poles in conditions that suit and against a team that are known to choke! does not make this the best bowling attack by any means!!

Last edited:

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain

Subcontinental teams are very good at playing spin, particularly Sri Lanka and India, perhaps due to the fact they have produced world class spinners themselves. Therefore, someone like Swann won't cause too many problems IMO. He can be milked for 40-50 with ease for loss of maybe one wicket. I don't think he would feature heavily in discussion of opponent players.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eng one of the best bowling attacks WTF? is the OP for real? is your memory that short, you went for 292 against Holland and 328 against Ireland!! Minnows!!! FFS Not to mention 338 against us!

You took a few poles in conditions that suit and against a team that are known to choke! does not make this the best bowling attack by any means!!
True but don' t forget they beat a panic stricken South African side so now their bowling is top notch :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Subcontinental teams are very good at playing spin, particularly Sri Lanka and India, perhaps due to the fact they have produced world class spinners themselves. Therefore, someone like Swann won't cause too many problems IMO. He can be milked for 40-50 with ease for loss of maybe one wicket. I don't think he would feature heavily in discussion of opponent players.
Oh dear. Firstly, even if he does just hold up one end and take 1-45, that's a pretty good result on most of these pitches.

Second, I don't know how long you've been watching cricket, but Swann hasn't become one of the best spinners in the world hypothetically. He's put in some outstanding, wicket-taking performances, including in the subcontient or against subcontinental teams.

2nd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Dambulla, Oct 4, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Dambulla, Oct 7, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

4th ODI: England v Pakistan at Lord's, Sep 20, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

5th ODI: England v Pakistan at Southampton, Sep 22, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also the fact that of bowlers to take more than 40 ODI wickets in the last 3 years Broad has the 3rd best SR.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Definite AWTA.

I mean you could see yesterday that they were so obviously sitting on Swann, and didn't want to have a bar of him, because they knew he would only bowl 10 overs - and in fact only 6 after Smith had somehow, through tenacity and the most concentrated blessings of Lady Luck one could possibly see, seen off four of them before facing the inevitable - and in between KP and Yardy (ffs) would have to fill the rest. I mean, all Swann can do there is try to bowl magic balls every ball because that's the only way he could get wickets. Because he's awesome, he managed to produce on average about one an over, but it's way too much too ask.
If not for Yardy, England would have been chasing the stars in the India England match. He was the guy who put a hold on the Indian run rate during the power play. Don't think he would be an useful bowler in spin friendly conditions given he doesn't turn the ball much, but on the flat track at Bangalore when Swann was being hit out, he gave England some control.

salman85

International Debutant
I'm sorry,but England don't even have the best bowling attack in their own group,let alone the entire tournament.

salman85

International Debutant
Three piss poor bowling performances make a stronger case for the the previous thread,than one great performance makes for this tread TBH.

I don't agree with either thread.but just saying.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, in that other thread I think Migara actually hit the nail on the head with his comment (and I suspect that's the first time I've ever said that)