• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lorgat - they were pebbles

shivfan

Banned
"I am satisfied that the security is firm enough to withstand that sort of issue," Lorgat said at a press conference in Chennai. "The police that were present there have made certain arrests."

Angry Bangladesh fans, whose team was bowled out for 58, the lowest total by a Full Member at a World Cup, threw stones at both team buses, cracking two of the West Indian team buses windows. None of the players were injured. Lorgat played down the incident, calling it "minor," and explained why it was not as serious as had been originally reported. "It was a few individuals who threw pebbles at the bus, and they were pebbles."

World Cup 2011: Security not an issue - Lorgat | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is an important issue and should not be brushed under the carpet, but I think for now, we should put it behind us and move on. :) Thankfully everybody is safe. Maybe after the tournament, a proper review of the security arrangements around the ground would be a good idea.

Daemon

Theres not much you can do to foresee and stop a couple of people throwing pebbles at a bus..not really a security issue there imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm. Well, either they were bloody big pebbles, in which case they should've been taken from the crowd in the initial security search or whoever threw them got close enough to hurl a small pebble with enough force to crack a toughened bus windscreen, in which case the crowd should never have been allowed that close to the bus in the first place.

It's not the biggest problem, but clearly steps could've been taken that weren't.

Blaze 18

Banned
Hmm. Well, either they were bloody big pebbles, in which case they should've been taken from the crowd in the initial security search or whoever threw them got close enough to hurl a small pebble with enough force to crack a toughened bus windscreen, in which case the crowd should never have been allowed that close to the bus in the first place.

It's not the biggest problem, but clearly steps could've been taken that weren't.
Agreed. I'd also like to know why the buses weren't bullet-proof.

Daemon

The pebbles could have been found on the ground, I highly doubt the fans sneaked stones past the security just to throw them. Anyways, no doubt they could've widened the gap between civilians and the bus, might have helped, might have not. It's not really that big a blunder or an issue by the BCB, mostly played up by Gayle's tweets

Mike5181

International Captain
The pebbles could have been found on the ground, I highly doubt the fans sneaked stones past the security just to throw them. Anyways, no doubt they could've widened the gap between civilians and the bus, might have helped, might have not. It's not really that big a blunder or an issue by the BCB, mostly played up by Gayle's tweets
I don't know about you but i'm sure i could hit a bus from a far distance away :sleep:. It would be near impossible to stop people from doing that tbh.

Mike5181

International Captain
The one at Shakib's house was a bit of an issue though i guess. You don't want that sort of stuff happening.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know about you but i'm sure i could hit a bus from a far distance away :sleep:. It would be near impossible to stop people from doing that tbh.
Well, possibly. But if it was a mere "pebble" you threw then it wouldn't do any damage to toughened glass regardless of the accuracy of your throwing arm. It would have to be something more substantial to make a crack, surely?

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
yes, thats a good point

if it can break a glass then what can it do if hit directly on a human being? :O

Mike5181

International Captain
Well, possibly. But if it was a mere "pebble" you threw then it wouldn't do any damage to toughened glass regardless of the accuracy of your throwing arm. It would have to be something more substantial to make a crack, surely?
I don't know tbh i remember back in my catching the bus days occasionally an egg or two would get thrown at our bus and it would make one hell of a noise. It actually felt pretty close to cracking. Can imagine something as solid as a rock/pebble would at least put a small dent in what looks like a pretty old style bus.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know tbh i remember back in my catching the bus days occasionally an egg or two would get thrown at our bus and it would make one hell of a noise. It actually felt pretty close to cracking. Can imagine something as solid as a rock/pebble would at least put a small dent in what looks like a pretty old style bus.
I'd put "rocks" in a different category to pebbles, myself. To my thinking (bearing in mind I'm not a geologist) pebbles are roughly the size of gravel, but with smooth edges.

If you threw a decent sized rock then yeah, I'm sure it would do some damage from a distance.

Daemon

Depends on the bus and its windows, any pictures?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is an important issue and should not be brushed under the carpet, but I think for now, we should put it behind us and move on. :) Thankfully everybody is safe. Maybe after the tournament, a proper review of the security arrangements around the ground would be a good idea.
If it's important then surely it needs looked at now?

Sadly, in light of what happened to the Sri Lanka team in Pakistan, I don't think you can take the issue of security on the subcontinent too seriously. Something's gone seriously wrong here, and it needs investigating now.

Daemon

I'd put "rocks" in a different category to pebbles, myself. To my thinking (bearing in mind I'm not a geologist) pebbles are roughly the size of gravel, but with smooth edges.

If you threw a decent sized rock then yeah, I'm sure it would do some damage from a distance.
Pebbles can get pretty big too, ones about the size of your fist are common

Nope, but pretty much all vehicles have toughened glass anyway, don't they?

If the Windies' bus didn't that's another security issue.
Yeah most vehicles have tempered glass. No idea how strong it is though, never had the privilege of hurling a rock at a window before :laugh:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The way strengthened glass works, it'll look like it's shattered but still hold together. There isn't a great deal short of bulletproofing the stuff that'll stop it cracking like a spiderweb when hit by something hard at speed.

Blaze 18

Banned
Given what happened to the Sri Lankan players not so long back, I am surprised the buses aren't bullet-proof. I don't care how expensive it is; this is the World Cup for God's sake!