Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Lorgat - they were pebbles

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,823

    Lorgat - they were pebbles

    "I am satisfied that the security is firm enough to withstand that sort of issue," Lorgat said at a press conference in Chennai. "The police that were present there have made certain arrests."

    Angry Bangladesh fans, whose team was bowled out for 58, the lowest total by a Full Member at a World Cup, threw stones at both team buses, cracking two of the West Indian team buses windows. None of the players were injured. Lorgat played down the incident, calling it "minor," and explained why it was not as serious as had been originally reported. "It was a few individuals who threw pebbles at the bus, and they were pebbles."

    World Cup 2011: Security not an issue - Lorgat | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

  2. #2
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    This is an important issue and should not be brushed under the carpet, but I think for now, we should put it behind us and move on. Thankfully everybody is safe. Maybe after the tournament, a proper review of the security arrangements around the ground would be a good idea.

  3. #3
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,495
    Theres not much you can do to foresee and stop a couple of people throwing pebbles at a bus..not really a security issue there imo.

  4. #4
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Hmm. Well, either they were bloody big pebbles, in which case they should've been taken from the crowd in the initial security search or whoever threw them got close enough to hurl a small pebble with enough force to crack a toughened bus windscreen, in which case the crowd should never have been allowed that close to the bus in the first place.

    It's not the biggest problem, but clearly steps could've been taken that weren't.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hmm. Well, either they were bloody big pebbles, in which case they should've been taken from the crowd in the initial security search or whoever threw them got close enough to hurl a small pebble with enough force to crack a toughened bus windscreen, in which case the crowd should never have been allowed that close to the bus in the first place.

    It's not the biggest problem, but clearly steps could've been taken that weren't.
    Agreed. I'd also like to know why the buses weren't bullet-proof.

  6. #6
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,495
    The pebbles could have been found on the ground, I highly doubt the fans sneaked stones past the security just to throw them. Anyways, no doubt they could've widened the gap between civilians and the bus, might have helped, might have not. It's not really that big a blunder or an issue by the BCB, mostly played up by Gayle's tweets

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The pebbles could have been found on the ground, I highly doubt the fans sneaked stones past the security just to throw them. Anyways, no doubt they could've widened the gap between civilians and the bus, might have helped, might have not. It's not really that big a blunder or an issue by the BCB, mostly played up by Gayle's tweets
    I don't know about you but i'm sure i could hit a bus from a far distance away . It would be near impossible to stop people from doing that tbh.

  8. #8
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I don't know about you but i'm sure i could hit a bus from a far distance away . It would be near impossible to stop people from doing that tbh.
    precisely why I said it might have not helped.

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,066
    The one at Shakib's house was a bit of an issue though i guess. You don't want that sort of stuff happening.

  10. #10
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I don't know about you but i'm sure i could hit a bus from a far distance away . It would be near impossible to stop people from doing that tbh.
    Well, possibly. But if it was a mere "pebble" you threw then it wouldn't do any damage to toughened glass regardless of the accuracy of your throwing arm. It would have to be something more substantial to make a crack, surely?

  11. #11
    International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    As always, my room
    Posts
    1,731
    yes, thats a good point

    if it can break a glass then what can it do if hit directly on a human being? :O

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, possibly. But if it was a mere "pebble" you threw then it wouldn't do any damage to toughened glass regardless of the accuracy of your throwing arm. It would have to be something more substantial to make a crack, surely?
    I don't know tbh i remember back in my catching the bus days occasionally an egg or two would get thrown at our bus and it would make one hell of a noise. It actually felt pretty close to cracking. Can imagine something as solid as a rock/pebble would at least put a small dent in what looks like a pretty old style bus.

  13. #13
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I don't know tbh i remember back in my catching the bus days occasionally an egg or two would get thrown at our bus and it would make one hell of a noise. It actually felt pretty close to cracking. Can imagine something as solid as a rock/pebble would at least put a small dent in what looks like a pretty old style bus.
    I'd put "rocks" in a different category to pebbles, myself. To my thinking (bearing in mind I'm not a geologist) pebbles are roughly the size of gravel, but with smooth edges.

    If you threw a decent sized rock then yeah, I'm sure it would do some damage from a distance.

  14. #14
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,495
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, possibly. But if it was a mere "pebble" you threw then it wouldn't do any damage to toughened glass regardless of the accuracy of your throwing arm. It would have to be something more substantial to make a crack, surely?
    Depends on the bus and its windows, any pictures?

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,733
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    This is an important issue and should not be brushed under the carpet, but I think for now, we should put it behind us and move on. Thankfully everybody is safe. Maybe after the tournament, a proper review of the security arrangements around the ground would be a good idea.
    If it's important then surely it needs looked at now?

    Sadly, in light of what happened to the Sri Lanka team in Pakistan, I don't think you can take the issue of security on the subcontinent too seriously. Something's gone seriously wrong here, and it needs investigating now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hosts to play knockout matches at Home
    By Cevno in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •