• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
England v South Africa
Sun Mar 6

MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai
04:00 GMT | 09:30 local | 15:00 EST | 14:30 CST | 12:00 WST

England Squad

Andrew Strauss (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior (wicketkeeper), Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy, Chris Tremlett

South Africa Squad

Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wicketkeeper), Jean-Paul Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wicketkeeper)

salman85

International Debutant
I want a SA win,but my gut feeling says that England will show up for this game.I'd love it if they don't though,and get molested left,right and center.

TumTum

Banned
We haven't seen SA choke yet, maybe this is their day. England have been a laughing stock so they'll be determined to put on a good show.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think the selection of both sides for varying reasons is going to be very interesting.

The pitch will play more of a role for SA's selection but England may have to bring in poor form to their selection tables... i.e Anderson

All I know is, Chennai is another road. Its where Sehwag scored a triple century against SA as the ball did absolutely nothing for the quicks i.e. no lateral movement and no pace and evenish bounce. I think it might offer something to the spinners though.

So I think SA may go in with the batsman light against England and play 3 spinners, because you only need 6 top-order batsman on these sorts of pitches.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the selection of both sides for varying reasons is going to be very interesting.

The pitch will play more of a role for SA's selection but England may have to bring in poor form to their selection tables... i.e Anderson

All I know is, Chennai is another road. Its where Sehwag scored a triple century against SA as the ball did absolutely nothing for the quicks i.e. no lateral movement and no pace and evenish bounce. I think it might offer something to the spinners though.

So I think SA may go in with the batsman light against England and play 3 spinners, because you only need 6 top-order batsman on these sorts of pitches.
That was three years back. It's still likely to be a road, however.

Striker

Cricket Spectator
Chennai pitch produces results not exactly roads

Tests played - 30
Results - 18
Draws - 11
Ties - 1

It is like everyone says "anybody's game" but of course one team needs to choke for spectator entertainment.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The worrying comment that I've heard since the Ireland game is that England's fate is still in their own hands. Given their inability to hold onto anything on Wednesday, is there any worse place for England's fate to rest?

As for Sunday, if SA take a few early wickets, then England won't reach 150. Even if England to make some sort of a score, their bowling's so out of sorts that SA should win by a country mile.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What would the Indian fans prefer? An England win - to knock South Africa further from the favourites tag and help India win the group? Or a South Africa win, to keep an England elimination alive?

Woodster

International Captain
The interview that they showed on Sky Sports today I thought was fascinating. Ian Ward interviewed Andy Flower and he was refreshingly honest, as always he came across excellently.

He took his fair share of responsibility for the lowering of fielding standards, suggesting he himself has taken his foot off the gas with regards the training and intensity. Maybe it's designed to take some pressure off the players, but I do think he'll be his own harshest critic. Clearly a deep thinker about the game, if anyone can get the players focused for tomorrow's battle, it's Flower.

He was also critical of the bowlers abilities to execute a change in the plans in pressurised situations when certain factors demand a deviation from Plan A. Certain things that may be obvious to the spectators, but he didn't come out with the usual garbage that a lot of coaches trot out in order to avoid saying anything negative about the side.

Blaze 18

Banned
What would the Indian fans prefer? An England win - to knock South Africa further from the favourites tag and help India win the group? Or a South Africa win, to keep an England elimination alive?
Just a closely contested game to be honest. It doesn't really matter who wins - we're neutrals. :D

Personally speaking, I don't want England to get eliminated. Their elimination would mean an easy quarterfinal game for someone from the other group.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tie sounds good TBH. Though if we go by the usual convention of supporting minnows, then England it is. :ph34r:

cricpk

U19 12th Man
Just a closely contested game to be honest. It doesn't really matter who wins - we're neutrals. :D

Personally speaking, I don't want England to get eliminated. Their elimination would mean an easy quarterfinal game for someone from the other group.
You don't want Pakistan to face Bangladesh or Ireland in quarterfinals :laugh:
I think Pakistan themselves haven't qualified for the Quarterfinals yet so i should just shut up my mouth :)

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I hope England will win this match, because then group B will become very interesting. On the other hand if Pak tops group A and England gets eliminated, then as Blaze has mentioned, they will have a fairly easy quarter-final.