• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surely Agnew has it wrong?

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Guys I am no statistics expert so please correct me if I am wrong, but was listening to the BBC podcast, and Agnew seemed to think off the top of his head that this result makes life harder for both Bangladesh and the West Indies to qualify.

I cannot for the life of me see how this is the case! surely if we assume that England, the West Indies anf Bangladesh are fighting for 4th spot, and if we also take it as fact what another BBC expert said that you need 6 points to qualify.

Then surely both of the West Indies and Bangladesh are better off for this result, as one of their main rivals has lost out on a potential 2 points, while they are both 2 wins away from the quarter final!.

England on the other hand by my reckoning would need to win 2 of their next 3 games against SA the WI and Bangladesh.

Can anyone here see where Agnew was coming from, because to me what he said made no sense at all!

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I guess Agnew is working on the assumption that Ireland, West Indies and Bangladesh are fighting for 4th place. This assumes that India, South Africa and England will be the top 3.

On those assumptions, he is correct. But its a big leap to assume that England are going to be safe in 3rd.

Of course, the truth is that all the other teams in the group should be delighted, as Ireland are now out of the competition, because theres no way they could ever get that much luck again......

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah... Agnew getting things wrong is not a shocker.

He seems to have assumed England will get through more or less regardless, that obviously isn't true.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Thanks guys! I thought I was missing something when I heard that!

West Indies are my 2nd team being half Guyanese, but I am very anxious about the match against Bangladesh, on Friday, in their own conditions they can be a match for anyone! will be a tough contest!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England need to beat two of Bangladesh, Windies and SA to qualify. As we play SA first it's quite likely we'll need to win our last two games to make it. Hmm.

Ireland meanwhile need to beat two of Windies, India, SA & the Netherlands. Playing the Dutch last. They somehow get up against the Windies and it's a real chance they'll advance.

gvenkat

State Captain
Agnew is wrong. This result will not have an effect on WI or Any team. All it has done is put Ireland in the mix too. With Them expected to beat the Dutch, Another upset against WI/SA/IND Could see them through

For all purposes, Dutch could beat them. If any England are in a little bit of a tricky situation, Assuming they beat Bangla, They have two games against SA and WI. SA is tough and WI on their day can be tough to beat, The pressure on the England team will be more when they face WI for that's their last game and they have to wait 4 more days to know what will happen.

All in All the upset is just a great result. No team will be really impacted. If any India and SA can be virtually sure of their QF spot with two wins against Ned and Ireland. :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he was meaning that with Ireland now having even more to play for that WI and Bangladesh have another rival for qualification, basically we now have 4 into 2 to qualify as long as we presume SA and India safely progress. Makes it harder for all concerned as you can't afford a slip up.

shivfan

Banned
The only team who is probably bothered by this result is England, who lost....

The other teams are unlikely to be losing any sleep over England's loss, and even less will be paying any attention to what Agnew has to say.

biased indian

International Coach
with the last days result we can top the group if we win all the games now....other wise there was chance of England being level with us and NRR coming into play :)

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England need to beat two of Bangladesh, Windies and SA to qualify. As we play SA first it's quite likely we'll need to win our last two games to make it. Hmm.
Pretty pessimistic, we've beaten South Africa in 7 out of the last 8 ODIs we've played.

Jacknife

International Captain
Pretty pessimistic, we've beaten South Africa in 7 out of the last 8 ODIs we've played.
Yes, they have and England would obviously prefer to beat SA, than to leave it to the final 2 games, where it would be a winner goes through situation. They've got themselves into this hole, lets see if they can get themselves out of it, tbf to them they do tend to bounce back from defeats.