• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
They have the worst out of the test playing nations, though I don't rate Bangladesh, India or Pakistan very high either.

Bouncer

State Regular
Not the worst, but very one dimensional for the conditions in sub-continent!!! They need to have Swann take a 4-fer almost every game to do well in WC....But thats not easy, if u r not Afridi :laugh:(j/K)

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
You don't rate Pakistan bowling high? :lol:
Both Abdul Rehman and Ajmal are overrated (Ajmal is starting to get picked up). As for the seamers, Akhtar could break down any match and Gul is inconsistent (for some odd reason he loves to bowl the bouncer at the death).

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two high-scoring games in a row makes me think that maybe it's because the Bangalore pitch is extremely flat. Or it probably eases out considerably under lights.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nope, India's is defo. worse. In the beginning of the WC, I'd have rated the English attack near the top tbh. In Broad and Swann they have two of the best LO bowlers in the world.

Anderson in current form is actually a negative though, really realy have to drop him IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arguing between England and India's bowling line-ups right now would be like arguing who is worse, Benchmark or Burgey. They're both so rubbish its not worth debating.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Ha Ha. I thought none could beat us in this, but England have trumped them no doubt. We will get a clearer idea after this Sunday but I do not think we will do as badly as England.

Woodster

International Captain
Our attack is clearly a concern. Didn't see much from today's play, yet, but we don't seem to have the right bowling plans in place, or we are just executing them really badly. Those last few overs we were giving them the opportunities to swing their arms, really poor lengths and lines.

Anderson looks really low, so we can go with another spinner in Tredwell, or a straight swap with Shahzad.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's kind of two questions in one with different answers. Generally speaking they have a very good attack, as has been mentioned Broad and Swann have fantastic records, Bresnan is proven and Anderson can be outstanding on his day.

But for some reason, and there is no sense in denying it, England's bowlers have performed worse than any Test-playing side at this tournament. I was considering putting them on a par with India and Bangladesh but genuine match-turning spells from Shafiul and Zaheer haven't allowed me too.

There is serious work to do and I for one cannot think what the answers are.

Woodster

International Captain
It's kind of two questions in one with different answers. Generally speaking they have a very good attack, as has been mentioned Broad and Swann have fantastic records, Bresnan is proven and Anderson can be outstanding on his day.

But for some reason, and there is no sense in denying it, England's bowlers have performed worse than any Test-playing side at this tournament. I was considering putting them on a par with India and Bangladesh but genuine match-turning spells from Shafiul and Zaheer haven't allowed me too.

There is serious work to do and I for one cannot think what the answers are.
Because of the quality this attack can possess, it makes me think the plans that we are working to are the wrong ones. We were meticulous in our preparation for the Ashes, and I wonder if our bowling plans here are becoming too cute rather than observing the age-old traditions when it comes to hitting the right areas on a frequent basis.

Like I say, I haven't much of today's game, but the bits I saw showed us trying to bang it in short and back of a length, which allowed the Irish to free their arms, they don't care if it edges for four, so long as it makes it to the boundary.

Clearly these are very good batting tracks, so changing lengths and your pace is important, just wonder if we're maybe over complicating things though.

hjardine

Cricket Spectator
I thought Broad was terrible against Ireland, even making allowances for his knee or wherever he had hurt himself.

Like someone earlier said, he is overrated.