Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

I wonder if they'll introduce Tredwell just to try something different to what we've been playing, unsuccessfully so, in the tournament so far. Possibly at the expense of Anderson, who looks devoid of any inspiration with the ball at the moment.

I would certainly have Bopara in ahead of Yardy, and so would think about using Tredwell as a second spin option. Not ideal, but might just be worth changing things around, doesn't have to be a permanent move.

Would personally persevere with Collingwood aswell, as much for his bowling as his batting. Has been coming in with little time to produce an innings of any meaningful nature, and while our fielding is rightly being highlighted as shocking at the moment, won't do us any harm for Colly to lead us back to doing the right things.

So I'd probably leave another quick bowler out, possibly unlucky for Shahzad, depending on Broad's fitness.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Somerset Chops's Avatar
    What ever happened to Adil Rashid ?

Just give it a little tappy, a little tap tap-aroo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.
    Sorry man but in terms of bowling attacks NZ>England. We have lost most of our games due to our batting to be honest.

Vettori= number one ODI bowler
    Kyle Mills= former ODI number one bowler
    Southee= Improving much like Broad
    Oram= economical, around 30 average
    N McCullum= Pretty average
    Bennett= wicket taker but batsmen can deal to him for sure.
    Styris= better than Collingwood. Useful part timer.

I would leave out Bennett for the QFs and play Oram anyway.

Anyway, i would rank the teams like this:

1. Australia- Lee, Tait, Watson, Johnson= no thanks
    2. South Africa- Steyn, Morkel, Tahir, Botha, Kallis= nice all round attack
    3. Sri Lanka- Malinga+Murali= a challenge
    4. Pakistan- faced them before but can be pretty dangerous with the likes of Gul, Ahktar
    5. New Zealand- Vettori and Mills are world class. Oram, Styris, Southee are handy. Deal to Bennett and McCullum you will be fine.
    6. India- Khan and Singh are great on their day but not much else
    7. England- If they put Tremlett in the team i think they would be stronger.
    8. West Indies- Roach is world class. Not much else though. Probably a little harsh to put them this low tbh.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 04-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I know Vettori and Mills are very high on the rankings but I do get the feeling they are a bit flattered by them, especially Vettori. I'd gladly take Murali over him without a second thought, even now. Probably Harbhajan as well.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Not sure if Vettori and Mills are as good as they are made out to be.New Zealand's best bowlers yes,but world class performers?I have my reservations.TBH,i don't think Mills is in the list of the 5 best fast bowlers in the world,and Vettori would have a hard time being amongst the top 3 spinners in the world.
    Last edited by salman85; 04-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Not sure if Vettori and Mills are as good as they are made out to be.New Zealand's best bowlers yes,but world class performers?I have my reservations.TBH,i don't think Mills is in the list of the 5 best fast bowlers in the world,and Vettori would have a hard time being amongst the top 3 spinners in the world.
    Their performances/statistics speak for their selves to be honest. Kyle Mills has 188 wickets @ 26.3 SR of 32. Daniel Vettori while in the darkest period of New Zealand cricket with 16/17 losses or whatever it was has 41 wickets @25.6 over the last two years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I know Vettori and Mills are very high on the rankings but I do get the feeling they are a bit flattered by them, especially Vettori. I'd gladly take Murali over him without a second thought, even now. Probably Harbhajan as well.
    Who wouldn't take Murali? Hes an exception but most people would take Vettori>Harbajan in ODIs and in fact probably tests when you add his test match batting to the equation.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Their performances/statistics speak for their selves to be honest. Kyle Mills has 188 wickets @ 26.3 SR of 32. Daniel Vettori while in the darkest period of New Zealand cricket with 16/17 losses or whatever it was has 41 wickets @25.6 over the last two years or so.
    Good stats,but still,do either of them rank amongst the world's best?

I'm not saying they are poor bowlers.They've served NZ very well,but the Kiwis have not had a truly world class bowler in their side since bond,shane bond retired IMO.

I love how underrated Mills and Vettori are. They're both excellent 50 over bowlers.
    Hamish Bennett's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Chops View Post
    What ever happened to Adil Rashid ?
    It's an interesting case. He's clearly still in the selectors thoughts, albeit quite distant thoughts at the moment, as he is touring with the England Lions in the domestic four-day competition in the Caribbean.

Alarm bells rang when he was not in the touring party to Bangladesh last year (and other signs aswell) when you would have thought it an ideal opportunity for him to play alongside Swann in a twin spin attack, instead they opted for steady, if unspectacular, James Tredwell. From what I understand, I don't think the coaching staff thought he was developing at the rate he should be, perhaps he was lacking in certain key areas, I don't exactly know.

He had a good full season in county cricket last year that will hopefully move his development on. While I am talking mainly in terms of the longer format, it all relates to his lack of one-day inclusion also.

Think he will still have a role to play for England in the years ahead.

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    It's an interesting case. He's clearly still in the selectors thoughts, albeit quite distant thoughts at the moment, as he is touring with the England Lions in the domestic four-day competition in the Caribbean.

Alarm bells rang when he was not in the touring party to Bangladesh last year (and other signs aswell) when you would have thought it an ideal opportunity for him to play alongside Swann in a twin spin attack, instead they opted for steady, if unspectacular, James Tredwell. From what I understand, I don't think the coaching staff thought he was developing at the rate he should be, perhaps he was lacking in certain key areas, I don't exactly know.

He had a good full season in county cricket last year that will hopefully move his development on. While I am talking mainly in terms of the longer format, it all relates to his lack of one-day inclusion also.

Think he will still have a role to play for England in the years ahead.
    I think Rashid will replace Yardy in the ODI squad after the WC. He was excellent in the Big Bash. 10 wickets at 14.00 econ 6.66 s/r 12.6. It's not 50 overs but it should help his confidence.
    ---
    Bowling over the last two years

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling
    Last edited by FBU; 05-03-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Banned
    Vettori is good, but is he the number one ODI bowler ? I don't think so, no. Is he even the number one ODI spinner ? Nope.

Sorry but Broad>>>>>>>>Southee

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

No, Mills and Vettori's stats do not flatter them, IMO. They've been bowling extremely well for ages and both have decent cases to be the best bowler in the world. They belong to completely different galaxies to say, Harby and Steyn on present form irrespective of whether the latter two are more skilled bowlers in the romantic cricketing sense of the word. ****s me just how underrated they both are.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Sorry but Broad>>>>>>>>Southee
    Hahaha, you've got to be kidding. Hope your talking with the bat.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information