• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Woodster

International Captain
I wonder if they'll introduce Tredwell just to try something different to what we've been playing, unsuccessfully so, in the tournament so far. Possibly at the expense of Anderson, who looks devoid of any inspiration with the ball at the moment.

I would certainly have Bopara in ahead of Yardy, and so would think about using Tredwell as a second spin option. Not ideal, but might just be worth changing things around, doesn't have to be a permanent move.

Would personally persevere with Collingwood aswell, as much for his bowling as his batting. Has been coming in with little time to produce an innings of any meaningful nature, and while our fielding is rightly being highlighted as shocking at the moment, won't do us any harm for Colly to lead us back to doing the right things.

So I'd probably leave another quick bowler out, possibly unlucky for Shahzad, depending on Broad's fitness.

Mike5181

International Captain
Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.
Sorry man but in terms of bowling attacks NZ>England. We have lost most of our games due to our batting to be honest.

Vettori= number one ODI bowler
Kyle Mills= former ODI number one bowler
Southee= Improving much like Broad
Oram= economical, around 30 average
N McCullum= Pretty average
Bennett= wicket taker but batsmen can deal to him for sure.
Styris= better than Collingwood. Useful part timer.

I would leave out Bennett for the QFs and play Oram anyway.

Anyway, i would rank the teams like this:

1. Australia- Lee, Tait, Watson, Johnson= no thanks
2. South Africa- Steyn, Morkel, Tahir, Botha, Kallis= nice all round attack
3. Sri Lanka- Malinga+Murali= a challenge
4. Pakistan- faced them before but can be pretty dangerous with the likes of Gul, Ahktar
5. New Zealand- Vettori and Mills are world class. Oram, Styris, Southee are handy. Deal to Bennett and McCullum you will be fine.
6. India- Khan and Singh are great on their day but not much else
7. England- If they put Tremlett in the team i think they would be stronger.
8. West Indies- Roach is world class. Not much else though. Probably a little harsh to put them this low tbh.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know Vettori and Mills are very high on the rankings but I do get the feeling they are a bit flattered by them, especially Vettori. I'd gladly take Murali over him without a second thought, even now. Probably Harbhajan as well.

salman85

International Debutant
Not sure if Vettori and Mills are as good as they are made out to be.New Zealand's best bowlers yes,but world class performers?I have my reservations.TBH,i don't think Mills is in the list of the 5 best fast bowlers in the world,and Vettori would have a hard time being amongst the top 3 spinners in the world.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Not sure if Vettori and Mills are as good as they are made out to be.New Zealand's best bowlers yes,but world class performers?I have my reservations.TBH,i don't think Mills is in the list of the 5 best fast bowlers in the world,and Vettori would have a hard time being amongst the top 3 spinners in the world.
Their performances/statistics speak for their selves to be honest. Kyle Mills has 188 wickets @ 26.3 SR of 32. Daniel Vettori while in the darkest period of New Zealand cricket with 16/17 losses or whatever it was has 41 wickets @25.6 over the last two years or so.

Mike5181

International Captain
I know Vettori and Mills are very high on the rankings but I do get the feeling they are a bit flattered by them, especially Vettori. I'd gladly take Murali over him without a second thought, even now. Probably Harbhajan as well.
Who wouldn't take Murali? Hes an exception but most people would take Vettori>Harbajan in ODIs and in fact probably tests when you add his test match batting to the equation.

salman85

International Debutant
Their performances/statistics speak for their selves to be honest. Kyle Mills has 188 wickets @ 26.3 SR of 32. Daniel Vettori while in the darkest period of New Zealand cricket with 16/17 losses or whatever it was has 41 wickets @25.6 over the last two years or so.
Good stats,but still,do either of them rank amongst the world's best?

I'm not saying they are poor bowlers.They've served NZ very well,but the Kiwis have not had a truly world class bowler in their side since bond,shane bond retired IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
What ever happened to Adil Rashid ?
It's an interesting case. He's clearly still in the selectors thoughts, albeit quite distant thoughts at the moment, as he is touring with the England Lions in the domestic four-day competition in the Caribbean.

Alarm bells rang when he was not in the touring party to Bangladesh last year (and other signs aswell) when you would have thought it an ideal opportunity for him to play alongside Swann in a twin spin attack, instead they opted for steady, if unspectacular, James Tredwell. From what I understand, I don't think the coaching staff thought he was developing at the rate he should be, perhaps he was lacking in certain key areas, I don't exactly know.

He had a good full season in county cricket last year that will hopefully move his development on. While I am talking mainly in terms of the longer format, it all relates to his lack of one-day inclusion also.

Think he will still have a role to play for England in the years ahead.

FBU

International Debutant
It's an interesting case. He's clearly still in the selectors thoughts, albeit quite distant thoughts at the moment, as he is touring with the England Lions in the domestic four-day competition in the Caribbean.

Alarm bells rang when he was not in the touring party to Bangladesh last year (and other signs aswell) when you would have thought it an ideal opportunity for him to play alongside Swann in a twin spin attack, instead they opted for steady, if unspectacular, James Tredwell. From what I understand, I don't think the coaching staff thought he was developing at the rate he should be, perhaps he was lacking in certain key areas, I don't exactly know.

He had a good full season in county cricket last year that will hopefully move his development on. While I am talking mainly in terms of the longer format, it all relates to his lack of one-day inclusion also.

I think Rashid will replace Yardy in the ODI squad after the WC. He was excellent in the Big Bash. 10 wickets at 14.00 econ 6.66 s/r 12.6. It's not 50 overs but it should help his confidence.
---
Bowling over the last two years

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...9;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Vettori is good, but is he the number one ODI bowler ? I don't think so, no. Is he even the number one ODI spinner ? Nope.

Teja.

Global Moderator
No, Mills and Vettori's stats do not flatter them, IMO. They've been bowling extremely well for ages and both have decent cases to be the best bowler in the world. They belong to completely different galaxies to say, Harby and Steyn on present form irrespective of whether the latter two are more skilled bowlers in the romantic cricketing sense of the word. ****s me just how underrated they both are.

Jacknife

International Captain
Hahaha, you've got to be kidding. Hope your talking with the bat.
Give it a rest, Broad averages 26.7 and Southee 32.6, he might have had a couple of poor games,but come on, borderline wumming.

Last edited:

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Cheers for the reply , im no expert but it seems crazy theres no room for his all round abilities in this squad when there is room for players like Wright and Tredwell who are just making up the numbers.

In all sports you need to take a gamble now and then with selections , easy to say now i spose with our attack looking s.hite , but especially with the World Cup being in Asia we missed a trick here.