Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 167

Thread: England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

  1. #46
    FBU
    FBU is offline
    International 12th Man FBU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,617
    England's problem is that they don't have enough strike bowlers with s'rs under 35. Even the back up bowlers, Shahzad 37.7, Tremlett 47.2. Compare the strike rates against say Australia and South Africa.

    Broad 30.3
    Swann 32.3

    Anderson 37.0
    Bresnan 40.2
    Collingwood 46.3
    Yardy 63.9

    Australia
    Tait 26.2
    Lee 29.2
    Johnson 30.8
    Smith 32.6
    Watson 34.6
    Krejza 39.0

    South Africa
    Tahir 14.4
    Tsotsobe 26.2
    Morkel 30.9
    Steyn 33.3
    Kallis 39.5
    Duminy 46.1

  2. #47
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,370
    Regardless of the numbers, Bresnan is bowling well now, he's not the problem.

    Not remotely surprised by Yardy's strike rate. Like I said, 1-50 is the best he gets. And even though he may regularly get it, it's often a 0-65 that does the damage.

    I am surprised by Steyn's. It's only a few points off his Test SR (38 IIRC). I never stop being confused by South Africa's use of him. Here they have a bowler who excels in the test environment. Why don't they try and replicate that a bit more, and give him an attacking field for a few overs?
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

  3. #48
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    They are no where near the worst, but they have simply not performed and not adjusted to the sub continent conditions. We will see whether they can turn this around, but they've played on some of the flattest pitches I've seen, so maybe the change in venue works.Tbf to them they've had two great knocks played against them in RTD and O'Brien, so you either credit them because before the came in their teams were done, or critisize the bowlers.
    Anyone that says Broad is overrated has either not watched him bowl more than his last 2 games or a hater, his stats are very impressive averaging 26 with 126 wickets in 75 games and even compared to someone like Steyn are superior.

  4. #49
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    England's problem is that they don't have enough strike bowlers with s'rs under 35. Even the back up bowlers, Shahzad 37.7, Tremlett 47.2. Compare the strike rates against say Australia and South Africa.

    Broad 30.3
    Swann 32.3

    Anderson 37.0
    Bresnan 40.2
    Collingwood 46.3
    Yardy 63.9

    Australia
    Tait 26.2
    Lee 29.2
    Johnson 30.8
    Smith 32.6
    Watson 34.6
    Krejza 39.0

    South Africa
    Tahir 14.4
    Tsotsobe 26.2
    Morkel 30.9
    Steyn 33.3
    Kallis 39.5
    Duminy 46.1
    Tahir's played what 2 games,Smith has played just a few as well


  5. #50
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    Tahir's played what 2 games,Smith has played just a few as well
    It is too early for Tahir to have his numbers examined. But he has a point in that Tahir is a proper strike bowler. South Africa's spinner has often been their weakness but Tahir really is an exciting player, makes them look all the stronger.

  6. #51
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    I cannot for the life of me figure out why Yardy is in this side. I think England need to ask themselves some serious selection questions, their squad for the world cup is atrocious.Theres no reason why Yardy and Prior are in the squad. And as far as Im concerned, stick a fork in Collingwood because he is done.

    I'll cut some slack regarding our fast bowlers because Broad just came back from a serious illness and there are still doubts about his fitness. Anderson gets ridiculously overrated when the fact of the matter is that hes an ordinary limited overs bowler who routinely bowls well when the new ball swings around ,which rarely happens in the subcontinent, and is pretty poor otherwise. So where does that leave us? Well we need to get a genuine batsman into the side, and that means Bopara whether or not he hasn't really done much before. Morgan's absence is a huge blow and Bopara is the only one really who could actually attempt to fill those shoes. The rest of the replacements are a joke, none of them inspire any confidence and hence we're largely stuck with the core of the players who have been smacked around by the associates.

    Strauss
    Pietersen
    Trott
    Bell
    Bopara
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Broad
    Anderson
    Shahzad
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  7. #52
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,363
    I think England's performances have clearly been the worst of the top 8. Conceding an average of 300 runs against two associates is truly shocking and unprecedented in ODI history as far as I know.
    Last edited by Dissector; 04-03-2011 at 12:08 PM.

  8. #53
    Cricket Spectator Your mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    38
    i would'nt rule out england. They have a test class bowling attack. they haven't adjusted to the conditions yet. Don't be suprised if they start firing on all cyclinders against south africa

  9. #54
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    I think England's performances have clearly been the worst of the top 8. Conceding an average of 300 runs against two associates is truly shocking and unprecedented in ODI history as far as I know.
    wow. Didn't think of it that way.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  10. #55
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    I think it's close as has been mentioned. Either way, considering the pointlessness of the group stages, they'll make it out, as will India and South Africa. How their attack rates in the QF and after that will be dependent on who they face. As an Indian fan, I don't want to face SL (esp. in SL), Pakistan (cause they're insane) and Australia (all pace attack on its day will be brutal - though they are inconsistant).

    So out of the eight 'likely' attacks in the QF, I'd want to face them in this order:

    1. England
    2. West Indies
    3. New Zealand
    4. South Africa
    5. Pakistan
    6. Australia
    7. SL (In SL, in India, I think they'd be a lot higher)


    You could substitute 'India' in place of England if you're an England fan I think and the list would be similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  11. #56
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

    Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.

  12. #57
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    7,192
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think it's close as has been mentioned. Either way, considering the pointlessness of the group stages, they'll make it out, as will India and South Africa. How their attack rates in the QF and after that will be dependent on who they face. As an Indian fan, I don't want to face SL (esp. in SL), Pakistan (cause they're insane) and Australia (all pace attack on its day will be brutal - though they are inconsistant).

    So out of the eight 'likely' attacks in the QF, I'd want to face them in this order:

    1. England
    2. West Indies
    3. New Zealand
    4. South Africa
    5. Pakistan
    6. Australia
    7. SL (In SL, in India, I think they'd be a lot higher)


    You could substitute 'India' in place of England if you're an England fan I think and the list would be similar.
    WI are not so bad tbh. Also Australia and Pakistan are probably better than Sri Lanka barring Malinga perhaps.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  13. #58
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

    Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.
    I said attacks, not teams as a whole.

  14. #59
    International 12th Man Debris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,604
    It might be better expressed as least suited rather than worst. And they were not helped by a truly atrocious fielding performance in one game. A lot of it is down to the form of the bowlers at the time so if one or two bowlers hit form, they will look a lot better.

    I would still pick them over NZ and Bangladesh (who were ranked 8th last time I saw).

  15. #60
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,289
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I cannot for the life of me figure out why Yardy is in this side. I think England need to ask themselves some serious selection questions, their squad for the world cup is atrocious.Theres no reason why Yardy and Prior are in the squad. And as far as Im concerned, stick a fork in Collingwood because he is done.

    I'll cut some slack regarding our fast bowlers because Broad just came back from a serious illness and there are still doubts about his fitness. Anderson gets ridiculously overrated when the fact of the matter is that hes an ordinary limited overs bowler who routinely bowls well when the new ball swings around ,which rarely happens in the subcontinent, and is pretty poor otherwise. So where does that leave us? Well we need to get a genuine batsman into the side, and that means Bopara whether or not he hasn't really done much before. Morgan's absence is a huge blow and Bopara is the only one really who could actually attempt to fill those shoes. The rest of the replacements are a joke, none of them inspire any confidence and hence we're largely stuck with the core of the players who have been smacked around by the associates.

    Strauss
    Pietersen
    Trott
    Bell
    Bopara
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Broad
    Anderson
    Shahzad
    Looks fair enough to me.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
  2. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 05:01 PM
  3. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 17-12-2007, 03:58 PM
  4. Archived [10/08/07] Battrick
    By PY in forum Battrick
    Replies: 8536
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •