Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Drop Anderson and we will improve, he looks shot to pieces after the ashes, kids being born and what not. Play Shahzad and see if he can do better, can't do any worse. Anderson going at 7.5 an over in the 3 games so far. Utter crap.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Their really isn't anything to choose between India and England as far as bowling goes.Both of them have world class spinners in Swann and Harbhajan,so there's not much to choose there.In terms of fast bowling,both sides lack one genuine match winner.Anderson is probably the one that comes closest,but he can be very hot and cold,and he's obviously going through a poor patch.I don't see that changing since the conditions don't suit him.So both sides are evenly matched as far as fast bowling goes.

What might give India is the edge however,is their part time bowlers.They have more options than England,and more importantly,they are all spinners,who will always be a handful on SubContinent pitches.

vcs
    Well, the makeup of England's attack (Broad, Swann, Anderson) hasn't changed much from the last time they toured India in 2008 and they did get a lot of punishment in that series. So it isn't entirely surprising either.

Conditions in India are extremely tough on bowlers, and going by recent history, it seems only Australia know how to do a decent job here.

Everyone thought all those three bowlers improved though to be fair. And they have improved. I think Broad is a little unfit and Swann is better than he was in 2008. He just got hit around by Sachin.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I think English have a world class bowling line-up and its just that they have failed to come to terms with the sub-continental conditions, I think likes of Broad, Anderson, Bresnan have all been guilty of trying way too many things rather then just sticking to the basics.

I think Strauss' captaincy has also been pretty poor so far, as badly as English fast bowlers might have bowled I think Strauss as a captain hasn't used his resources smartly enough and he has just failed to adapt to different situations of the game.

Among the top 5 teams India by far has the weakest bowling line-up but I think Dhoni is a street smart leader and he has the know how to use his limited resources pretty well and I have a feeling for games featuring India we would now probably see slightly unprepared wickets that would bring their spinners into play hence adding more bite to their bowling attack.

Simon Champion!
    To be fair to England they have played on some of the flatter wickets so far,but at the same time they do not have a "excellent" ODI attack by any means.
    I think people are basing that on their test performances in Australia or t20 performances in WI ,both of which were completely different in any case.
    On ODI performances alone there attack has not been that strong for a while now and specially in such conditons they have been found out for a while.

It is actually now a close contest between them and India on who has the weakest ODI attack ,but i think in such conditions India would have a slight edge due to the spinners.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    In all fairness to Broad he's coming back from a touch of Gandhi's Revenge, which was why he missed the India tie. The commentators yesterday mentioned he's lost weight and wasn't exactly starting from a huge BMI before the Jimmy Brits hit.

Playing a man suffering from the after-effects of dehydration and a obviously out of form Anderson ahead of Shahzad was madness.

The trouble is our other bowling options aside from Ajmal are Tredwell, rated a worse spinner than Yardy and who is to fielding what Hitler was to rabbinical studies, and Wright, who's probably never once bowled his full compliment of overs.

So yeah, on balance, it is.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    What might give India is the edge however,is their part time bowlers.They have more options than England,and more importantly,they are all spinners,who will always be a handful on SubContinent pitches.
    To be honest, that England line up from yesterday did include 5 frontline bowlers (if you count Yardy as that) plus 3 reasonable (or better in Colly's case) part timers and one who was a good part timer but has given up bowling.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hjardine View Post
    I thought Broad was terrible against Ireland, even making allowances for his knee or wherever he had hurt himself.

Like someone earlier said, he is overrated.
    What is curious is that even though he was injured, Strauss preferred to bowl Broad instead of Yardy, so that begs the question: what's the point of Yardy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    tbh, I'm wondering why Shahzad hasn't been tried already. He might go for some runs but he's hitting the splice hard and is a wicket-taker. England have built their bowling around a T20-like strategy and, considering the nature of the strips so far, that's fair enough but might be time for a re-think.
    Agreed....

I think both Shahzad and Bopara should be in the England team for the next match.

Strauss' captaincy has been shaky but not actively poor. There's very little you can do when your best bowler is going to pieces and the fielding has lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    What is curious is that even though he was injured, Strauss preferred to bowl Broad instead of Yardy, so that begs the question: what's the point of Yardy?
    What is the point indeed. He's no more likely to take wickets than Collingwood or Bopara, no more likely to score runs than Bresnan or Swann.

When 1-55 and 20* is the best you can hope for from a player, perhaps it's time to go. I like Yardy as a cricketer, his bowling worked really well in the World T20, but I still feel ODIs are a step too far for him.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    Agreed....

I think both Shahzad and Bopara should be in the England team for the next match.
    If Broad or someone is injured, bringing in Tremlett might give England a much needed boost in their bowling. They could have Tremlett, Shahzad, Bresnan, Swann, Bopara, Colly and KP as their bowling options. Might be a slight improvement to what has been seen so far.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

"what's the point of Yardy?"

Haha such a good phrase.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Replace 'Yardy' with 'Jono' and you've got a potential CW Motto
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Well played sir.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information