• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Strauss' captaincy has been shaky but not actively poor. There's very little you can do when your best bowler is going to pieces and the fielding has lost it.

What is curious is that even though he was injured, Strauss preferred to bowl Broad instead of Yardy, so that begs the question: what's the point of Yardy?
What is the point indeed. He's no more likely to take wickets than Collingwood or Bopara, no more likely to score runs than Bresnan or Swann.

When 1-55 and 20* is the best you can hope for from a player, perhaps it's time to go. I like Yardy as a cricketer, his bowling worked really well in the World T20, but I still feel ODIs are a step too far for him.

Himannv

International Coach
Agreed....

I think both Shahzad and Bopara should be in the England team for the next match.
If Broad or someone is injured, bringing in Tremlett might give England a much needed boost in their bowling. They could have Tremlett, Shahzad, Bresnan, Swann, Bopara, Colly and KP as their bowling options. Might be a slight improvement to what has been seen so far.

FBU

International Debutant
England's problem is that they don't have enough strike bowlers with s'rs under 35. Even the back up bowlers, Shahzad 37.7, Tremlett 47.2. Compare the strike rates against say Australia and South Africa.

Broad 30.3
Swann 32.3

Anderson 37.0
Bresnan 40.2
Collingwood 46.3
Yardy 63.9 :blink:

Australia
Tait 26.2
Lee 29.2
Johnson 30.8
Smith 32.6
Watson 34.6
Krejza 39.0

South Africa
Tahir 14.4
Tsotsobe 26.2
Morkel 30.9
Steyn 33.3
Kallis 39.5
Duminy 46.1

Howe_zat

Audio File
Regardless of the numbers, Bresnan is bowling well now, he's not the problem.

Not remotely surprised by Yardy's strike rate. Like I said, 1-50 is the best he gets. And even though he may regularly get it, it's often a 0-65 that does the damage.

I am surprised by Steyn's. It's only a few points off his Test SR (38 IIRC). I never stop being confused by South Africa's use of him. Here they have a bowler who excels in the test environment. Why don't they try and replicate that a bit more, and give him an attacking field for a few overs?

Jacknife

International Captain
They are no where near the worst, but they have simply not performed and not adjusted to the sub continent conditions. We will see whether they can turn this around, but they've played on some of the flattest pitches I've seen, so maybe the change in venue works.Tbf to them they've had two great knocks played against them in RTD and O'Brien, so you either credit them because before the came in their teams were done, or critisize the bowlers.
Anyone that says Broad is overrated has either not watched him bowl more than his last 2 games or a hater, his stats are very impressive averaging 26 with 126 wickets in 75 games and even compared to someone like Steyn are superior.

Jacknife

International Captain
England's problem is that they don't have enough strike bowlers with s'rs under 35. Even the back up bowlers, Shahzad 37.7, Tremlett 47.2. Compare the strike rates against say Australia and South Africa.

Broad 30.3
Swann 32.3

Anderson 37.0
Bresnan 40.2
Collingwood 46.3
Yardy 63.9 :blink:

Australia
Tait 26.2
Lee 29.2
Johnson 30.8
Smith 32.6
Watson 34.6
Krejza 39.0

South Africa
Tahir 14.4
Tsotsobe 26.2
Morkel 30.9
Steyn 33.3
Kallis 39.5
Duminy 46.1
Tahir's played what 2 games,Smith has played just a few as well

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tahir's played what 2 games,Smith has played just a few as well
It is too early for Tahir to have his numbers examined. But he has a point in that Tahir is a proper strike bowler. South Africa's spinner has often been their weakness but Tahir really is an exciting player, makes them look all the stronger.

tooextracool

International Coach
I cannot for the life of me figure out why Yardy is in this side. I think England need to ask themselves some serious selection questions, their squad for the world cup is atrocious.Theres no reason why Yardy and Prior are in the squad. And as far as Im concerned, stick a fork in Collingwood because he is done.

I'll cut some slack regarding our fast bowlers because Broad just came back from a serious illness and there are still doubts about his fitness. Anderson gets ridiculously overrated when the fact of the matter is that hes an ordinary limited overs bowler who routinely bowls well when the new ball swings around ,which rarely happens in the subcontinent, and is pretty poor otherwise. So where does that leave us? Well we need to get a genuine batsman into the side, and that means Bopara whether or not he hasn't really done much before. Morgan's absence is a huge blow and Bopara is the only one really who could actually attempt to fill those shoes. The rest of the replacements are a joke, none of them inspire any confidence and hence we're largely stuck with the core of the players who have been smacked around by the associates.

Strauss
Pietersen
Trott
Bell
Bopara
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Shahzad

Dissector

International Debutant
I think England's performances have clearly been the worst of the top 8. Conceding an average of 300 runs against two associates is truly shocking and unprecedented in ODI history as far as I know.

Last edited:

Your mama

Cricket Spectator
i would'nt rule out england. They have a test class bowling attack. they haven't adjusted to the conditions yet. Don't be suprised if they start firing on all cyclinders against south africa

smash84

The Tiger King
I think England's performances have clearly been the worst of the top 8. Conceding an average of 300 runs against two associates is truly shocking and unprecedented in ODI history as far as I know.
wow. Didn't think of it that way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think it's close as has been mentioned. Either way, considering the pointlessness of the group stages, they'll make it out, as will India and South Africa. How their attack rates in the QF and after that will be dependent on who they face. As an Indian fan, I don't want to face SL (esp. in SL), Pakistan (cause they're insane) and Australia (all pace attack on its day will be brutal - though they are inconsistant).

So out of the eight 'likely' attacks in the QF, I'd want to face them in this order:

1. England
  2. West Indies
  3. New Zealand
  4. South Africa
  5. Pakistan
  6. Australia
  7. SL (In SL, in India, I think they'd be a lot higher)

You could substitute 'India' in place of England if you're an England fan I think and the list would be similar.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.

Himannv

International Coach
I think it's close as has been mentioned. Either way, considering the pointlessness of the group stages, they'll make it out, as will India and South Africa. How their attack rates in the QF and after that will be dependent on who they face. As an Indian fan, I don't want to face SL (esp. in SL), Pakistan (cause they're insane) and Australia (all pace attack on its day will be brutal - though they are inconsistant).

So out of the eight 'likely' attacks in the QF, I'd want to face them in this order:

1. England
  2. West Indies
  3. New Zealand
  4. South Africa
  5. Pakistan
  6. Australia
  7. SL (In SL, in India, I think they'd be a lot higher)

You could substitute 'India' in place of England if you're an England fan I think and the list would be similar.
WI are not so bad tbh. Also Australia and Pakistan are probably better than Sri Lanka barring Malinga perhaps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not really sure why anyone would rather face any other team than NZ really. Hands down the worst team in the tournament out of the top 8, they are lucky that they are in a group where pretty much all the teams are either not very good or have underperformed this world cup.

Australia looks great perched at the top of the table because they are yet to play a half decent side, the Pakistan-SL encounter was a laughable show from both sides honestly, especially in the field. Had Sri Lanka not played like novices that game they would have won. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the minnows and Zimbabwe has hardly set the world on fire either. Its easy for all the teams in this group to look good when they are playing rubbish teams.
I said attacks, not teams as a whole. :)

Debris

International 12th Man
It might be better expressed as least suited rather than worst. And they were not helped by a truly atrocious fielding performance in one game. A lot of it is down to the form of the bowlers at the time so if one or two bowlers hit form, they will look a lot better.

I would still pick them over NZ and Bangladesh (who were ranked 8th last time I saw).

Spark

Global Moderator
I cannot for the life of me figure out why Yardy is in this side. I think England need to ask themselves some serious selection questions, their squad for the world cup is atrocious.Theres no reason why Yardy and Prior are in the squad. And as far as Im concerned, stick a fork in Collingwood because he is done.

I'll cut some slack regarding our fast bowlers because Broad just came back from a serious illness and there are still doubts about his fitness. Anderson gets ridiculously overrated when the fact of the matter is that hes an ordinary limited overs bowler who routinely bowls well when the new ball swings around ,which rarely happens in the subcontinent, and is pretty poor otherwise. So where does that leave us? Well we need to get a genuine batsman into the side, and that means Bopara whether or not he hasn't really done much before. Morgan's absence is a huge blow and Bopara is the only one really who could actually attempt to fill those shoes. The rest of the replacements are a joke, none of them inspire any confidence and hence we're largely stuck with the core of the players who have been smacked around by the associates.

Strauss
Pietersen
Trott
Bell
Bopara
Prior
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Shahzad
Looks fair enough to me.