Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Our attack is clearly a concern. Didn't see much from today's play, yet, but we don't seem to have the right bowling plans in place, or we are just executing them really badly. Those last few overs we were giving them the opportunities to swing their arms, really poor lengths and lines.

Anderson looks really low, so we can go with another spinner in Tredwell, or a straight swap with Shahzad.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

It's kind of two questions in one with different answers. Generally speaking they have a very good attack, as has been mentioned Broad and Swann have fantastic records, Bresnan is proven and Anderson can be outstanding on his day.

But for some reason, and there is no sense in denying it, England's bowlers have performed worse than any Test-playing side at this tournament. I was considering putting them on a par with India and Bangladesh but genuine match-turning spells from Shafiul and Zaheer haven't allowed me too.

There is serious work to do and I for one cannot think what the answers are.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Stuart Broad is the most over-rated bowler in world cricket.
    Hamish Bennett's #1 Fan

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It's kind of two questions in one with different answers. Generally speaking they have a very good attack, as has been mentioned Broad and Swann have fantastic records, Bresnan is proven and Anderson can be outstanding on his day.

But for some reason, and there is no sense in denying it, England's bowlers have performed worse than any Test-playing side at this tournament. I was considering putting them on a par with India and Bangladesh but genuine match-turning spells from Shafiul and Zaheer haven't allowed me too.

There is serious work to do and I for one cannot think what the answers are.
    Because of the quality this attack can possess, it makes me think the plans that we are working to are the wrong ones. We were meticulous in our preparation for the Ashes, and I wonder if our bowling plans here are becoming too cute rather than observing the age-old traditions when it comes to hitting the right areas on a frequent basis.

Like I say, I haven't much of today's game, but the bits I saw showed us trying to bang it in short and back of a length, which allowed the Irish to free their arms, they don't care if it edges for four, so long as it makes it to the boundary.

Clearly these are very good batting tracks, so changing lengths and your pace is important, just wonder if we're maybe over complicating things though.

Cricket Spectator
    I thought Broad was terrible against Ireland, even making allowances for his knee or wherever he had hurt himself.

Like someone earlier said, he is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Nope, India's is defo. worse. In the beginning of the WC, I'd have rated the English attack near the top tbh. In Broad and Swann they have two of the best LO bowlers in the world.

Anderson in current form is actually a negative though, really realy have to drop him IMO.
    I think India are probably better than them. Zaheer has been bowling quite well now and then and Munaf isn't the worst bowler around either. The spinners could come to the party as well now and then so I'd rate them ahead of England at this stage.

England have been pretty poor recently. Anderson seems to have temporarily forgotten how to bowl, Broad got attacked a fair bit more than anyone today and Bresnan is probably their best pacer at the moment which isn't saying much. Yardy has been very ordinary and I dont think they really need him in the team right now. Only Swann has bowled well so far. Not doing well at the moment and their bowlers need a couple of easy games right now to get some confidence back.

On the whole I'd say they're probably on par or a bit better than Bangladesh but most other test playing nations have better attacks.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by irottev View Post
    Stuart Broad is the most over-rated bowler in world cricket
    Had a pretty awful game here. I'd say he was overrated sometime back, but not anymore. He's been pretty good for a couple of years or so now. Was fantastic in the last T20 WC as well. I think this game was probably down to injury and lack of matches and confidence.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    no, that would be Vettori. He took over that mantle when Shane Bond finally retired after he realised he wasnt fooling anyone by faking injury anymore

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    The real worry is that England have an excellent bowling attack, who are playing really really really badly. If they were poor bowlers, it would be understandable, but Swann, Anderson and Broad are all near the top of the ICC rankings, and Bresnan is good too. They should be doing much much better

I think its possible they all just put so much into The Ashes (where England hammered the Aussies lets not forget, wow, how long ago does that seem now?) that they are simply worn out.

Shahzad and Tredwell and Wright to be called up to face South Africa!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    tbh, I'm wondering why Shahzad hasn't been tried already. He might go for some runs but he's hitting the splice hard and is a wicket-taker. England have built their bowling around a T20-like strategy and, considering the nature of the strips so far, that's fair enough but might be time for a re-think.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Debutant
    This is true

They're also dropping quite a lot of catches, which is particularly unusual of late.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Arguing between England and India's bowling line-ups right now would be like arguing who is worse, Benchmark or Burgey. They're both so rubbish its not worth debating.
    wac!
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    India are better. If India decide to play Ashwin instead of Chawla, They will have three potential wicket-takers in Zak, Ash and Bhajji.

England on the other hand have just Swann and Bresnan.. Anderson is useless in sub-continent and Broad is probably injured.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information