Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

0-231 in a knock-out match.

Final nail in the coffin for mine. Definitely the worst bowling attack.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    0-231 in a knock-out match.

Final nail in the coffin for mine. Definitely the worst bowling attack.
    england make India's attack look like the WI attack of the late 70s and early 80s
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Are England the worst bowling attack in the current WC?

A big fat YES!

vcs
    Not quite as bad as the 0-231 indicates, because they were badly depleted by injuries to Broad, Shehzad and maybe someone else that I'm missing, but even their first choice attack has the potential to turn into cannon-fodder when the subcontinent batsmen get going against them. The ODI series against India in 2008 and the WC prove that fairly comprehensively.

They performed the worst, fair enough. There is clearly more to it than that, their best bowlers were either mentally broken or literally broken, the whole affair was pretty messy.

And they were tonked by a very good side in home conditions that's been preparing for this for months rather than days. Deservedly so.

We can and we should come back from this. Our two frontline bowlers who actually managed to last, Swann and Bresnan, came out of this with decent records and bowled some excellent spells. Broad coming back is a given. Jimmy was the only real disaster and justifiably the only one whose permanant place should be under doubt. Really hoping he gets some early season wickets in the CC.

The batting was the bigger problem, especially opening and lower-order accleration.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

vcs
    Anderson shouldn't come anywhere near an England ODI side in the subcontinent TBH. He managed to average 48 in a low scoring series that England won in SL in 2007. When you couple that with his wicketless 2008 series in India and his recent WC exploits, you have to think he just isn't made for 50 over cricket in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Anderson shouldn't come anywhere near an England ODI side in the subcontinent TBH. He managed to average 48 in a low scoring series that England won in SL in 2007. When you couple that with his wicketless 2008 series in India and his recent WC exploits, you have to think he just isn't made for 50 over cricket in these conditions.
    I agree in the sub continent , but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him, especially in home conditions.
    As far as the rest of the attack, we know what Broad, Swann and Bresnan can do and Broad and Swann are world class. The thing for England is getting depth to their Odi team not just the bowling, but the batting also. Samit Patel would be the answer to a few of those questions, as far as variety in bowling and lower order hitting and you'd have thought with a place virtually guaranteed he would be doing all he could do to make this happen.
    I think this summer, England will start to introduce a few new faces, maybe the likes of Taylor and Jos Buttler, who has had a crazy good start to his list A career where he averages 50 at a strike rate of 150. With both being only 20, they should be eased into the side carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Are England the worst bowling attack in the current WC?

A big fat YES!
    Not any more.

vcs
    Yeah, only meant the subcontinent. His style of bowling just doesn't work here right now, don't see him bowling cutters and mixing up the pace etc. If he adds those things, he might give himself a better chance of success in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I wouldn't expect him to tear it up when we come across in October, but I wouldn't expect him to go as badly as he did in 2008 either. 2008 was an odd year for Anderson in ODIs, he'd generally tightened up his bowling but for some reason that year seemed utterly incapable of taking wickets against anybody.

Bun
    Banned
    Team records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

12th worst attack in the world cup on basis of bowling avg, with just Ken and Net above it.

I rest my case.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Given that your case said it was the worst, you've proved nothing. **** post mate.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Given that your case said it was the worst, you've proved nothing. **** post mate.
    Small mercies, I concede they were better than Net and Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post

12th worst attack in the world cup on basis of bowling avg, with just Ken and Net above it.

I rest my case.
    You seem to have a bit of a hard on for England, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post

I rest my case.
    If a statsguru link can "rest your case", here are bowling averages against the top 8 sides. Isn't that what you like to do?

Or, you know, we could talk reasonably about what's causing this or what we could do about it. But apparantly that's just "excuses".

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information