• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Former Pakistani players want Warne investigated for match fixing?

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Maybe they need to investigate the 2006-7 Ashes series. After all, Glenn McGrath predicted it would be 5-0. and Englands batting collapsed suspiciously easily on more than one occasion.......

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am i implying that Warne is guilty?No.

All i'm saying is that carry out a routine investigation,announce that there was no malpractice and lay the issue to rest.

The ICC has already gone through the match fixing shake recently,so why leave the lid on this open?Close it a.s.a.p and move on,or someone will bring it up in the future when something remotley similar happens.
The problem is that they cost money. Lots of it. Even a fairly routine inquiries will cost thousands. Why bother on rumour/gossip? It's not even technically an accusation. If there was other info that Warnie was throwing $ around betting on anything, that's a different story of course.

It's just so cowardly, Aamer and Sarfraz aren't even willing to make a complaint or actually accuse him, they're just pissing in the ears of journos. Has the faint whiff of nationalism about it too with Sohail's dig against India. If they honestly thought there was something to it instead of moaning that the poor Pakistanis seem to be getting picked on all the time, put the complaint in writing and your name/reputation on the line and follow-through. At the very least, some info to prompt an investigation beyond "What happened was unusual." Put up or shut up, basically.

Last edited:

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Yes, the match was fixed and Warne did not get his share. So he made it public before the start of the match :ph34r:

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd argue that Warnie suggested a tie because he didn't want either England or India getting the two points from the game. Kind of like asking for a scoreless draw in afl.

Really stupid article.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quote from Sohail;

Really, Aamer? Really?

tbh, have heard Warnie predict a tie in games a few times over the years. Considering his pub game, no surprise he'd operate on the theory that if you use the same line over and over, eventually it'll work.
Interesting use of inverted commas around "tie" from Sohail too (and, yes, I'm aware of the irony in me having done the same, but in my case I'm quoting); it wasn't an alleged or supposed tie, it was an actual one.

It's like McCarthyism on steriods just now; the slightest underperformance or mildly unusual result and it's denouncements all round.

I'd personally like all Engalnd's ODI results from 1995 to now investigated. That a foundation cricket nation could be so crap without skullbuggery afoot is laughable.

Burgey

Am i implying that Warne is guilty?No.

All i'm saying is that carry out a routine investigation,announce that there was no malpractice and lay the issue to rest.

The ICC has already gone through the match fixing shake recently,so why leave the lid on this open?Close it a.s.a.p and move on,or someone will bring it up in the future when something remotley similar happens.
You know he isn't a player anymore right? And that he can bet legally on the game here?

I hope he had ten grand on it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd assumed that this must be about an old game.

Totally bemused as to how Warne can be match fixing a game he's legally allowed to bet on and hasn't taken part in. With Brumby on the parallels with McCarthyism. Seriously funny **** though.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
This trend of former Pakistani cricketers coming on air and giving their stupid opinions is really starting to piss me off. Ex players like Sohail, Basit Ali, Sarfraz Nawaz, Abdul Qadir etc all have nothing better to do and so they either start criticising our team or moan about something else. This time though they have gone too far by making a mountain out of a molehill.

They need to learn from Imran, who generally encourages our team and steers clear of conspiracy theories.

flibbertyjibber

I'd argue that Warnie suggested a tie because he didn't want either England or India getting the two points from the game. Kind of like asking for a scoreless draw in afl.

Really stupid article.
Exactly, it is the same as using a throwaway comment about Liverpool v Man utd this weekend hoping both lose. Total non story and shows the paranoia in Pakistan cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sarfaraz if IIRC has been throwing around match fixing allegations for fun for years now.

He seems to either be paranoid about it mentally and not stable.

I don't know why it is attentionworthy at all.

Debris

International 12th Man
Aren't they basically accusing all the England and India players of match-fixing as well? Would have though you would need pretty much everyone in on it to arrange a tie.