• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UDRS : The 2.5 Meter rule

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Well, in the NZ vs Zim match last night we saw what a captain does when he knows the rules.

There was a shout for LBW after the batsman had charged down the pitch and it was given not out. He was more than 2.5m down the pitch and even though it looked like it was hitting it was probably not hitting enough of middle. Vettori chose not to review it.

No outrage or moaning at all.

Debris

International 12th Man
Instead of having an arbitrary distance, it could be expressed as a percentage for confidence that ball will hit the stumps. There is more doubt about one 1.5 m away which is flicking the outside of off than one 2.5 m away hitting halfway up middle. Then the umpire can decide what percentage he is happy with to give something out.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Who said it was arbitrary?

And with the percentage thing, that's basically what they have already.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who said it was arbitrary?

And with the percentage thing, that's basically what they have already.
I thought it was arbitrary. That's the whole problem. It's hard to imagine a system where readings are entirely reliable upto 2.5m and complete noise outside that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maybe if it's outside 2.5m it can still count if it's in a certain zone of 'certainity' ala middle of middle.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see any improvement to the system by using probabilities and confidence intervals instead of being 2.5 metres down the track. The main complaint is that 2.5 m is arbitrary. Well if you set confidence intervals of 95% then the 95% becomes arbitrary what if we are 94.9% sure that the ball will hit the stumps why draw the line at 95% why not 93%. etc etc etc...there is nothing wrong with being too far forward to be given out lbw. From my days wicket keeping I can remember the ball going through a batsmans gate and then swinging away at the last second to miss the stumps. You should not be projecting a straight line to the stumps with any certainty from a long way down the pitch because the ball does swing. Good on Billy Bowden.

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't see any improvement to the system by using probabilities and confidence intervals instead of being 2.5 metres down the track. The main complaint is that 2.5 m is arbitrary. Well if you set confidence intervals of 95% then the 95% becomes arbitrary what if we are 94.9% sure that the ball will hit the stumps why draw the line at 95% why not 93%. etc etc etc...there is nothing wrong with being too far forward to be given out lbw. From my days wicket keeping I can remember the ball going through a batsmans gate and then swinging away at the last second to miss the stumps. You should not be projecting a straight line to the stumps with any certainty from a long way down the pitch because the ball does swing. Good on Billy Bowden.
You get more consistency over the confidence of the decision is all. Still have to make a decision at some point but you are basing it on the evidence available. It may be that it is right to give that not out but there are other decisions which are given out just because they are 20 cm closer even though the doubt is greater (eg hitting outside of leg rather than middle). The accuracy of the system doesn't magically stop at 2.5m and it is not 100 percent inside that distance, it gradually declines with distance from stumps.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All this talk of Hawkeye reminded me of one of my favourite literary characters from my childhood.

WAG he was (quite literally).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member