• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

indian bowling is horrible

Gooch20

Banned
India might be one of the fav to win the worldcup, but their bowling and even feilding is horrible. The only thing that can win them the world cup is their batting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won't come close to winning if this is what we can expect throughout the competition. Over the course of the tournament, even the best batting side is bound to have off-days as batsmen need only one bad shot/great ball to get out. So it's preferable to have a great attack + **** batsmen to great batsmen + **** bowlers. Obviously, ideally you'd want to have the Aussie side from the 2007 WC.

Blaze 18

Banned
India's batsmen are bound to have a bad day at the office, at some stage. Likewise India's bowlers are bound to have a good day at some point. The question is, will the two coincide ?

Howe_zat

Audio File
India's bowling wasn't awful at any stage today, it was between ordinary and excellent.

Just that England batted so well against ordinary bowling for so long that at one stage they looked like conceding a huge total.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Their pace bowling would make be a good minnow's 'A' attack.

And their fielding is worse than every minnow in the tournament. It's so crazy as to be baffling.

vcs

India's bowling wasn't awful at any stage today, it was between ordinary and excellent.

Just that England batted so well against ordinary bowling for so long that at one stage they looked like conceding a huge total.
Mostly ordinary, I'd say. Not flat out horrible, like say Kenya against Pakistan or Australia in the Ashes bar Perth. England did bat brilliantly, was so impressed with how easily Strauss, Bell and even Trott in his brief stay worked it around. Dhoni's captaincy certainly helped a fair bit as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ordinary? Wow. It was rubbish. If they had bowled the same against their own batting lineup, the score might have been 430....

England batted worse but against an inferior bowling lineup, whereas India bowled worse but against an inferior batting lineup. Which makes sense, I think most people would say the English attack is a much better one than India whereas the reverse is true for the batting lineup. You'd expect that not to be the case in India - where their bowling should come close if not equal or better the English lineup, but it didn't today.

Blaze 18

Banned
I wonder if they should consider bringing in Ashish Nehra in place of the extra batsman. Might be worth a shot don't you think. I know it isn't going to happen, though. India have had this seven-four combination in ODIs for ages.

vcs

Ordinary? Wow. It was rubbish. If they had bowled the same against their own batting lineup, the score might have been 430....

England batted worse but against an inferior bowling lineup, whereas India bowled worse but against an inferior batting lineup. Which makes sense, I think most people would say the English attack is a much better one than India whereas the reverse is true for the batting lineup. You'd expect that not to be the case in India - where their bowling should come close if not equal or better the English lineup, but it didn't today.
DWTA. England might be an inferior batting lineup overall, but today they did not perform like that. They batted better than India. Even if you look at the way Sachin batted, his runs came in spurts and with plenty of big sixes, it wasn't a steady flow like Strauss. Gambhir's SR does not look that great in the context of the game. Yuvraj played out a maiden against Swann when he came in, while Tendulkar was playing him beautifully at the other end. He couldn't work a single to save his life. Between overs 20 and 40, England were rotating the strike and taking 9-10 runs off every other over without even taking any risks. Their top order batsmen were steadier than India's.

India were saved by the Powerplay, and the fact that England panicked after losing two in two.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I agree that India's bowling is utter crap, and if we want to win the WC we'll need to put up a better performance than this, but I'm still not convinced that it is consistently garbage. We have recently won matches where our bowling has come good, and one thing I have noticed with India is that, their bowling recently has had the tendency to get us back in the game and win close encounters. Our bowlers do get the job done at times, so I'm not overly worried based on one match. Same goes for the fielding, some days they are brilliant, some they are pathetic. But of course, for the most part, like their bowling, it's quite ordinary.

I think it's safe to say that we should let the group games finish, see how they bowl in the remaining matches (especially against South Africa, which will be a big game). And we can test a few different combinations out against the minnows.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
We aren't exactly spoilt for choice, Turb. It basically comes down to whether India want to play one spinner or two. In other words, it's either Nehra or Chawla.
Haha, no I meant trying out the 5 bowlers theory. Plus I would certainly like to see what form Ashwin is in.

Blaze 18

Banned
Haha, no I meant trying out the 5 bowlers theory. Plus I would certainly like to see what form Ashwin is in.
I doubt Ashwin would fare any better than Chawla to be honest. Besides, the problem with picking him is that there is already an off spinner in the side in Harbhajan (two if you're counting part-timers). It would rob the attack of what little variety it has. He looked okay in the warm up match against New Zealand, though. Bowled reasonably well, I thought.

As regards the fifth bowler, it is going to be Yuvraj-Pathan. I don't think we have much of a choice, as Tendulkar and Sehwag cannot bowl. Maybe they should give Raina a go instead of Kohli and see how he goes with both bat and ball.

Woodster

International Captain

Don't you dare try and give some credit to those English batters. If India had have bowled anything near good we'd have been rolled out for less than 150!

Burgey

I don't think India can win the WC with the attack they fielded last night. Their batting is awesome of course, but last night seriously demonstrated this babeh is wide open.

Seeing a lot of SL's batsmen have trouble with Akthar's pace was illuminating over the weekend too.

England I don't think are capable of winning it either.

Australia can't play spin in the middle order, and guys like White are too rocks and diamonds - they don't work ones well at all.

SA look well suited, but their temperament remains a huge question mark to me.

Pakistan are massively inconsistent but may come through and string some games together. If Akthar is fit, he's like a better Tait - provides that X factor and can knock anyone over.

NZ look horrible atm, and have for quite some time.

WI are very hit and miss for their part too. They have some blokes capable of posting massive scores on their days, but they had one recognised pace bowler in their last game ffs.

Seems to me this thing is as wide open as can be. It wil just be amatter of who gets it together from the QF onwards. I mean, it always does of course, but you can't really look at these teams, imho, and say there is a stand out side that's sufficiently well rounded in all respects to say "There goes the overwhelming favourite to win the sucker".

Makes for an interesting tourney imo.

smash84

The Tiger King
Priyanka Chopra is hot.
:lol:

Their pace bowling would make be a good minnow's 'A' attack.

And their fielding is worse than every minnow in the tournament. It's so crazy as to be baffling.
Their fielding is worse than other minnows but still better than Pak. Although I must admit that this is hardly a consolation.

I wonder if they should consider bringing in Ashish Nehra in place of the extra batsman. Might be worth a shot don't you think. I know it isn't going to happen, though. India have had this seven-four combination in ODIs for ages.
Yes. Please bring in Ashish Nehra so that our draft team can get some points :)

I don't think India can win the WC with the attack they fielded last night. Their batting is awesome of course, but last night seriously demonstrated this babeh is wide open.

Seeing a lot of SL's batsmen have trouble with Akthar's pace was illuminating over the weekend too.

England I don't think are capable of winning it either.

Australia can't play spin in the middle order, and guys like White are too rocks and diamonds - they don't work ones well at all.

SA look well suited, but their temperament remains a huge question mark to me.

Pakistan are massively inconsistent but may come through and string some games together. If Akthar is fit, he's like a better Tait - provides that X factor and can knock anyone over.

NZ look horrible atm, and have for quite some time.

WI are very hit and miss for their part too. They have some blokes capable of posting massive scores on their days, but they had one recognised pace bowler in their last game ffs.

Seems to me this thing is as wide open as can be. It wil just be amatter of who gets it together from the QF onwards. I mean, it always does of course, but you can't really look at these teams, imho, and say there is a stand out side that's sufficiently well rounded in all respects to say "There goes the overwhelming favourite to win the sucker".

Makes for an interesting tourney imo.
Top quality post.