• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Batting Powerplay be compulsory?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Or is there a situation where a chasing team may well have been better served by not bringing the fielders up and cutting off their supply of singles?

Discuss...

Howe_zat

Audio File
It certainly seems like the kiss of death more often then not. It disrupts the batting side's rhythm and forces them to start hitting over the top. Makes you wonder why the bowling side doesn't try cutting off the singles to try and break partnerships.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Or is there a situation where a chasing team may well have been better served by not bringing the fielders up and cutting off their supply of singles?

Discuss...
Yes. However, the batting team should decide what fielders go out the circle.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It should be compulsory.

I'm surprised more teams don't take it from overs 15-20, giving you one 20 over PP. Saves the trouble of having to start hitting again.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come to think of it, it shouldn't be compulsory. Defensive **** captains like Dhoni should be punished with a 7-wicket loss rather than a jammy tie if they don't have the balls to bring the field up when the batting team is cruising. Weird thing is, Dhoni was very attacking with his field placements when SA choked chasing 190 odd against us, and he coerced them into some mistakes. Normal service resumed today.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It should be compulsory.

I'm surprised more teams don't take it from overs 15-20, giving you one 20 over PP. Saves the trouble of having to start hitting again.
Was just about to suggest this, means you pace the next 30 overs however you like.
It also means that teams either have to bowl spinners in the powerplay, or bowl their spells straight through or bowl them in the final 10 overs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, AWTA.

Strauss and Bell's partnership was the perfect example of how easy it actually is to go at 7 RPO in the middle whilst taking no risks whatsoever.

shankar

International Debutant
How about introducing a rule that the bowling powerplay can only be taken up after 20 overs have been bowled? It would break up the monotony of the 15-35 over stage besides allowing the spinners to start earlier

Spark

Global Moderator
It should be compulsory.

That's mostly because the bowling PP is rarely ever treated by the batting side like a PP.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Bollocks. With captains always taking it after 10 overs, it is basically always "treated like a PP".

It's no different to when we had the 15 over field restrictions, batsman play the same way.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, AWTA.

Strauss and Bell's partnership was the perfect example of how easy it actually is to go at 7 RPO in the middle whilst taking no risks whatsoever.
It's a perfect example of road of a pitch TBH. Those pitches kill the game. I'd take tied game of 238 runs over a 338 run one any day of the week.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How about introducing a rule that the bowling powerplay can only be taken up after 20 overs have been bowled? It would break up the monotony of the 15-35 over stage besides allowing the spinners to start earlier
Better would be to make the batting powerplay taken before the 40th over, and use two balls from each end, and leave some grass on the wicket, or make it a bone dry one, so the ball will spin.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bollocks. With captains always taking it after 10 overs, it is basically always "treated like a PP".

It's no different to when we had the 15 over field restrictions, batsman play the same way.
I've very rarely seen the bowling PP go for 40. 30 is uncommon, 25 is about the norm IMO.

Compare to the batting PP where mostly 40 is seen as par.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a perfect example of road of a pitch TBH. Those pitches kill the game. I'd take tied game of 238 runs over a 338 run one any day of the week.
I hope the pitches offer a bit more to the bowlers as the tournament progresses. I don't think playing on pitches like this is in India's best interests, it ruthlessly exposes their mediocre attack.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, India prefer pitches that give their bowlers something to work with.

Batting PP shouldn't be compulsary. Captaincy that Dhoni showed last night deserved to lose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I hope the pitches offer a bit more to the bowlers as the tournament progresses. I don't think playing on pitches like this is in India's best interests, it ruthlessly exposes their mediocre attack.
Problem then is that a) it makes it easier for other teams bowling at India and b) a lot of India's batsmen didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in South Africa.