• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Referral Discussion

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is it therefore stipulated in other scenarios not involving 2.5 metre rule (say ball hitting the top of leg stump but given not out) that the on field decision can change his decision, even though the technology says enough doubt to stick with the onfield umpire?

Or is it only the 2.5 metre rule where the umpire can reverse their decision if they like, or not do so if they like?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Said it in the England v SA match thread and haven't looked on here to see if it has been raised by others but surely 2 referrals a side is too many in a 50 over game when you only have 2 each in a test innings. You are seeing sides using far more speculative ones in this WC to try and get a wicket even when it is really a 10-90 call not even 50-50.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tactical referrels are just not on in my book. As I've said before, the technology should be used wherever it's appropriate. I don't think the players should be involved at all after the appeal.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tactical referrels are just not on in my book. As I've said before, the technology should be used wherever it's appropriate. I don't think the players should be involved at all after the appeal.
The thing is they are being used and you can see why. Ponting did one the other day when the Aussies had a side 3 or 4 down that was never out and England wasted one today in desperation. Just 2 examples there, if you only had 1 an innings you would save it for the shocker which is what i think it should be used for not a tactical gain on a tight one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Duminy decision that was overturned today was highly questionable. The replays were inconclusive and as such the on-field decision should surely have stoof.

Of course, Jimmy made it irrelevant two balls later but it's food for thought in general about the system, IMO.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Is it therefore stipulated in other scenarios not involving 2.5 metre rule (say ball hitting the top of leg stump but given not out) that the on field decision can change his decision, even though the technology says enough doubt to stick with the onfield umpire?

Or is it only the 2.5 metre rule where the umpire can reverse their decision if they like, or not do so if they like?
The umpire can change his decision in any scenario where UDRS comes up with an "On Field Decision", its just that they generally stick with their original decision.

Spark

Global Moderator
I am so confused.

---

So... is it still out if it hits in line and is hitting the middle of leg?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, the 2.5 metre rule will then rule it not out if that was the original decision... as per my reading of the ICC's recent statement.

The umpires and ICC doing us UDRS defenders no favours.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Riiight. I am so ****ing confused.

The old rule was fine IMO. Commonsense was the order of the day, but I guess by specifying situations then at least we know when it is and isn't out.