• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 11 - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodster

International Captain
And you got smashed. Learn your lesson IMO. :p
:laugh: Trust you!

There was so many things wrong in what we did against Holland, not bowling to our field was an obvious one. Sehwag didn't have anything to do with the short balls against Bangladesh, so a bouncer should certainly produce a dot ball! Just think we'll try and rough them up, and not give them much to drive.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
:laugh: Trust you!

There was so many things wrong in what we did against Holland, not bowling to our field was an obvious one. Sehwag didn't have anything to do with the short balls against Bangladesh, so a bouncer should certainly produce a dot ball! Just think we'll try and rough them up, and not give them much to drive.
Nice to meet you mate! am vey new here read your posts you are a very knowledgable poster!

I am an English born Indian fan! :) pumped for the game! of course hoping we win but wish you the best of luck! :)

Woodster

International Captain
Nice to meet you mate! am vey new here read your posts you are a very knowledgable poster!

I am an English born Indian fan! :) pumped for the game! of course hoping we win but wish you the best of luck! :)
Thanks mate, nice to meet you too. Hope you enjoy the game, though not too much.

Who do you think will be the key players tomorrow ?

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Thanks mate, nice to meet you too. Hope you enjoy the game, though not too much.

Who do you think will be the key players tomorrow ?
For us I think it will be our bowlers, I am very confident in our batting order right now, that even if one guy fails I would like to think that we have enough guys in there for 1 or 2 to fire.

But our bowling needs to be on the mark.

For you, I would imagine the likes of Stuart Broad and Swann for me are a big key, we do play Spin really well but Swann can always be a handful thats a match up that will be a challenge.

I do think though that playing Yardy would be a mistake for England he is a useful bowler but it would weakern your batting and I would be far more concerned about Bopara coming in towards the death, he has the ability to be a superb finisher for England!

Woodster

International Captain
For us I think it will be our bowlers, I am very confident in our batting order right now, that even if one guy fails I would like to think that we have enough guys in there for 1 or 2 to fire.

But our bowling needs to be on the mark.

For you, I would imagine the likes of Stuart Broad and Swann for me are a big key, we do play Spin really well but Swann can always be a handful thats a match up that will be a challenge.

I do think though that playing Yardy would be a mistake for England he is a useful bowler but it would weakern your batting and I would be far more concerned about Bopara coming in towards the death, he has the ability to be a superb finisher for England!
Yes fair assessment. Broad for his variations, his aggressive bowling and knack for taking wickets. Swann against this Indian line-up will make for absolutely fascinating viewing. India do play spin very well, yet Swann generally rises to the challenge.

I'm hoping another player that rises to the challenge will be KP. Although I don't necessarily agree with his move to the openers spot, tomorrow will be just his type of game with the spotlight on him from the first over (should we bat first). He can be the man that can take it to the spinners, if he can manage to get set against pace from the off, then in a controlled manner attempt to dominate the spinners, it should set us up nicely whether we're setting a total or chasing it.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Yes fair assessment. Broad for his variations, his aggressive bowling and knack for taking wickets. Swann against this Indian line-up will make for absolutely fascinating viewing. India do play spin very well, yet Swann generally rises to the challenge.

I'm hoping another player that rises to the challenge will be KP. Although I don't necessarily agree with his move to the openers spot, tomorrow will be just his type of game with the spotlight on him from the first over (should we bat first). He can be the man that can take it to the spinners, if he can manage to get set against pace from the off, then in a controlled manner attempt to dominate the spinners, it should set us up nicely whether we're setting a total or chasing it.
KP is a big match player, also lets not forget in the IPL this was his home ground, he will be very dangerous and perhaps more so up front, but I do feel that if Bopara is dropped the pressure will increase on KP to bat that much longer then it will be very interesting indeed to see his approach to the innings.

What is your view on the selection of Yardy/ Bopara and from an England point of view who would you rather see play our of Sreesanth or Ashwin?!

Woodster

International Captain
KP is a big match player, also lets not forget in the IPL this was his home ground, he will be very dangerous and perhaps more so up front, but I do feel that if Bopara is dropped the pressure will increase on KP to bat that much longer then it will be very interesting indeed to see his approach to the innings.

What is your view on the selection of Yardy/ Bopara and from an England point of view who would you rather see play our of Sreesanth or Ashwin?!
I agree, I think Bopara can be critical to our mid/lower order, and also his skiddy medium paced is generally under used. Yardy I think will be picked off by the Indian batting line-up, and his batting has been found wanting at this level so far. Bopara has an excellent temperament and will cope the situation better imo.

From what I have seen of Ashwin, he's the type of bowler I'd imagine we'd struggle to read and find it difficult to score fluently off. Would expect more loose deliveries from Chawla should they go with him.

As for Sreesanth, well who knows what to expect from him. If he can get it to swing and keep his emotions in check, he can be difficult, but I'd fancy our batsmen to be far more capable of dealing with him than perhaps another spin option.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I agree, I think Bopara can be critical to our mid/lower order, and also his skiddy medium paced is generally under used. Yardy I think will be picked off by the Indian batting line-up, and his batting has been found wanting at this level so far. Bopara has an excellent temperament and will cope the situation better imo.

From what I have seen of Ashwin, he's the type of bowler I'd imagine we'd struggle to read and find it difficult to score fluently off. Would expect more loose deliveries from Chawla should they go with him.

As for Sreesanth, well who knows what to expect from him. If he can get it to swing and keep his emotions in check, he can be difficult, but I'd fancy our batsmen to be far more capable of dealing with him than perhaps another spin option.
Absolutely agree, with what you say re Bopara, and I just feel that with KP opening it would be good for England to have a finisher like him that can adapt his game working the ball but also knows how to produce the big shots, Collingwood is a very different kind of finisher but no Bopara feel would put pressure on the rest of the top order!

You are right Ashwin has looked impressive and I think he would pose more myster and be more accurate than Chawla.

Sreesanth on his day is a handful, but this is a big game for us, against a very determined England side, we cant afford to take risks or carry passengers, that is why I dont believe we can risk 10 overs of Sreesanth after how he bowled in the last game.

Possibly the next game against Ireland might be the time to give him a work out and let him get some rhythm and confidence back!

Woodster

International Captain
Absolutely agree, with what you say re Bopara, and I just feel that with KP opening it would be good for England to have a finisher like him that can adapt his game working the ball but also knows how to produce the big shots, Collingwood is a very different kind of finisher but no Bopara feel would put pressure on the rest of the top order!

You are right Ashwin has looked impressive and I think he would pose more myster and be more accurate than Chawla.

Sreesanth on his day is a handful, but this is a big game for us, against a very determined England side, we cant afford to take risks or carry passengers, that is why I dont believe we can risk 10 overs of Sreesanth after how he bowled in the last game.

Possibly the next game against Ireland might be the time to give him a work out and let him get some rhythm and confidence back!
Let's not forget though for whatever reason Bopara was not even selected in our original squad, so the management are not pinning too many hopes on him being the matchwinner, that he can be. I'm also not sure batting at six is his ideal position, but he needs to find the consistency in his game to gain a place in the top four. A better option than Yardy for sure for me.

Sreesanth would be a more risky selection. As you rightly say, selection against Ireland may help salvage some confidence, unless they treat him in a similar manner as the Bangladeshi's.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That is great can you put me down? I doubt anyone will fail but be nice to be in the squad! :)
Yeah just fill in the sign-up form (you may have already done it; haven't checked it yet :p), let the India captain/team know you're theirs and you're in.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Let's not forget though for whatever reason Bopara was not even selected in our original squad, so the management are not pinning too many hopes on him being the matchwinner, that he can be. I'm also not sure batting at six is his ideal position, but he needs to find the consistency in his game to gain a place in the top four. A better option than Yardy for sure for me.

Sreesanth would be a more risky selection. As you rightly say, selection against Ireland may help salvage some confidence, unless they treat him in a similar manner as the Bangladeshi's.
I hear what you are saying Woodster, regarding Bopara not being in the original squad, but he was a replacement for Morgan who is a fine middle order player and I doubt he would have bene left out tomorrow?
Looking forward to the game now! :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Reckon Burge will be rooting for the good guys when it comes down to it.
Yeah, the England/Australia rivalry almost runs along the same sort of lines as a local derby, even though it'd be difficult for the countries to be further apart. In the end we're pretty similar and India (****ing BCCI!) is the real enemy. Particularly on CricketWeb.

Disclaimer: entire post is in jest