Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowds

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar

Crowds

Considering we constantly hear how Indian fans love their cricket the crowds have been piss poor so far in the competition with grounds barely half full, very poor show if you ask me.

Is it cost, or just bad organisation by BCCI?

Being so far away it is difficult to know but the fact is the half empty stadiums do look stupid in the games major showpiece. I presume tv money is more important than filling the grounds to India.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 25-02-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Not too concerned myself. So long as there's a decent atmosphere it's fine.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India.
    Yeah, very true. Although this has got to do mostly with the fact that Indianz r de best at cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Not too concerned myself. So long as there's a decent atmosphere it's fine.
    OK crowd for the AUS v NZ game, creating a decent atmosphere.

Ticket prices are ridiculous. The cheapest tickets always get sold out but they cover only a small portion in the stands. The price of the next level of tickets is 4 times bigger than the cheapest tickets. Not worth the money to go to a minnow game. The Indian games are sold out afaik. The others aren't worth wasting money on.

vcs
    I don't understand what the problem is TBH, none of the games in India have involved the hosts so far and from what I can pick up on TV, the atmosphere and response is better than what it'd have been in any other country. Has everybody forgotten the empty stands at the Caribbean in 2007 already? No country fills 50K stadiums when their team isn't playing. Definitely not on weekdays.

benchmark : I'm pretty sure Indian cricket fans watch a lot more international cricket not involving India than fans of any other country. The main reason for this is that FC cricket in India is of a low standard and not properly marketed/televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Ticket prices are ridiculous. The cheapest tickets always get sold out but they cover only a small portion in the stands. The price of the next level of tickets is 4 times bigger than the cheapest tickets. Not worth the money to go to a minnow game. The Indian games are sold out afaik. The others aren't worth wasting money on.
    Shades of 2007? I assume it still makes more money than anywhere else due to TV rights.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is TBH, none of the games in India have involved the hosts so far and from what I can pick up on TV, the atmosphere and response is better than what it'd have been in any other country. Has everybody forgotten the empty stands at the Caribbean in 2007 already? No country fills 50K stadiums when their team isn't playing. Definitely not on weekdays.

benchmark : I'm pretty sure Indian cricket fans watch a lot more international cricket not involving India than fans of any other country. The main reason for this is that FC cricket in India is of a low standard and not properly marketed/televised.
    I don't know to be honest. You will see the less competitive nations fans like West Indies, New Zealand, Ireland, Zimbabwe etc have another team they semi support or have a more general/neutral attitude to other teams/players. I have found especially with the recent decline in NZ cricket that watching teams like Australia is more enjoyable now that the spice has largely left our games. I no longer loathe their players like Hussey/Watson & co and in fact some of them are among my favourites now. Just enjoy watching quality cricket now.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I don't know to be honest. You will see the less competitive nations fans like West Indies, New Zealand, Ireland, Zimbabwe etc have another team they semi support or have a more general/neutral attitude to other teams/players. I have found especially with the recent decline in NZ cricket that watching teams like Australia is more enjoyable now that the spice has largely left our games. I no longer loathe their players like Hussey/Watson & co and in fact some of them are among my favourites now. Just enjoy watching quality cricket now.
    Yeah, but would they make the effort to go over to the ground when their team isn't involved? Most grounds have had a fair amount of attendance for games not involving India from what I can make out so far. And you'll always get plenty of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post

Banned
    India have had what, two non-minnow matches so far, right ? The crowds were okay for both of these matches (South Africa vs West Indies, Australia vs New Zealand). You really can't expect fans to turn up for Kenya vs New Zealand, or Australia vs Zimbabwe.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Indian fans only come to watch Indian players
    Last edited by GotSpin; 25-02-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Indian fans only come to watch Indian players
    Nonsense.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I don't think it's unfair to suggest that the vast majority of the Indian cricketing public only care to watch their own players.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information