Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowds

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Firstly, you're comparing a population of 20 million to 1 billion.

Secondly, you're comparing a tri series match at the end of a long summer to a World Cup.

Thirdly, the comment I made wasn't supposed to be a slight on India as a country, nor was I saying it with the intention of comparing it to another country. People take comments too personally.

For a country of 1 billion people which has a reputation of 'cricket crazy', it seems a little off to me that neutral matches are attracting very poor attendances. The argument of out pricing the locals has been raised, and whilst I acknowledge that is indeed possible (it certainly occured last WC in the Carribean), I can't help but think that it's merely an excuse, considering the most expensive games (ones involving India) are packed to the rafters.

I'm not saying attendances for neutrals would be any better in say Australia or South Africa or wherever... but those countries don't have a population of 1 billion and don't have a reputation of being absolutely obsessed with cricket.

Brings me back to my original point - I get the impression that the Indian population don't care as much about the game as is made out. Their passion for their own team can never be brought into question though.
    Indians arent anyway different from the rest of the world when it comes to cricket or any sport following, whether they are a billion or a million big. They too have their preferences, and 99 per cent of them will hesitate and consider other factors like their work, money, family etc before committing to watch a neutral match, even moreso when it involves minnows, whom naturally they wont have any interest other than the cursory.

I doubt a N Korea vs Qatar fixture can send the Wembley spilling out with English fans, despite soccer being a craze in UK.

The definition of being cricket crazy public doesnt necessarily include an all inclusive, broadminded love for cricket the game regardless of form or participants. I am quite sure we will see wholesome crowds for the quarters, and we all know how has been the demand for semis and finals. Afaik India iisnt a confirmed entry for all these gamees, but the demand has been unbelievable.

Regarding the CB final remark, it wasnt just a end of. summer game, but a crucial must win final for Australia, and the final international of one of the game's greatest. Surely that should see better crowds than a Aus vs Ken fixture or a Net vs Ire one?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Understand what you're saying, particularly with regards to population and reputation. But I reckon I care a lot about the game of cricket, and there's no way in hell I'd travel to the ground and pay to stand in the sun and watch Australia vs. Kenya or Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe. Just won't do it. World Cup or not.
    Meh, I reckon if it were a World Cup match I'd go see India vs whoever in Australia. In fact I remember going to watch England vs Zimbabwe in 92 when Zimbabwe knocked them over. Was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Indians arent anyway different from the rest of the world when it comes to cricket or any sport following, whether they are a billion or a million big. They too have their preferences, and 99 per cent of them will hesitate and consider other factors like their work, money, family etc before committing to watch a neutral match, even moreso when it involves minnows, whom naturally they wont have any interest other than the cursory.

I doubt a N Korea vs Qatar fixture can send the Wembley spilling out with English fans, despite soccer being a craze in UK.

The definition of being cricket crazy public doesnt necessarily include an all inclusive, broadminded love for cricket the game regardless of form or participants. I am quite sure we will see wholesome crowds for the quarters, and we all know how has been the demand for semis and finals. Afaik India iisnt a confirmed entry for all these gamees, but the demand has been unbelievable.

Regarding the CB final remark, it wasnt just a end of. summer game, but a crucial must win final for Australia, and the final international of one of the game's greatest. Surely that should see better crowds than a Aus vs Ken fixture or a Net vs Ire one?
    That Australian game that you mentioned had a crowd of 28,000 people for a Tuesday, and although that's not huge by Australian attendance measure, it's still not empty like you're making it out to be. Besides, why would you bring another country's attendances up? Clearly have missed my point.

All I'm saying that until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed that it has aws. Is that really the end of the world?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Not all fans are like us here at the forum. Majority just want to have fun and spend the day with family/friends and watch their favourite players. Don't think a lot of fans dissect games and have intellectual analyses about it, they just want to have a blast. Just my opinion.

Meh, I reckon if it were a World Cup match I'd go see India vs whoever in Australia.
    You have no life tbf
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Firstly, you're comparing a population of 20 million to 1 billion.
    This is some seriously ridiculous ****. 1 Billion people do not live in the city the game is happening. Don't forget that majority of the population is below poverty line and therefore unable to afford any kind of sport, even a movie ticket of Rs. 50 is unaffordable for them forget spending Rs. 250 on a cricket match.

..the comment I made wasn't supposed to be a slight on India as a country, nor was I saying it with the intention of comparing it to another country. People take comments too personally.

For a country of 1 billion people which has a reputation of 'cricket crazy', it seems a little off to me that neutral matches are attracting very poor attendances. The argument of out pricing the locals has been raised, and whilst I acknowledge that is indeed possible (it certainly occured last WC in the Carribean), I can't help but think that it's merely an excuse, considering the most expensive games (ones involving India) are packed to the rafters.

I'm not saying attendances for neutrals would be any better in say Australia or South Africa or wherever... but those countries don't have a population of 1 billion and don't have a reputation of being absolutely obsessed with cricket.

Brings me back to my original point - I get the impression that the Indian population don't care as much about the game as is made out. Their passion for their own team can never be brought into question though.
    Once again the population of 1 billion was used as if 1 billion live in every city of the country.

All I'm saying that until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed that it has aws. Is that really the end of the world?
    Bull****. Indian fans don't need to show up for ridiculous neutral matches (esp when they are not allowed to watch their own cricketers play ) to prove to the world that they love the game of cricket and they are obsessed with it. Watching Cricket in an Stadium in an Indian Ground is a very tough experience.

Clueless people, who have never set foot in India and have no clue about the experience do not get to make that call about Indian fans' love for the game. All they know about India is that it has 1 Billion people and that's the end of their reasoning.

Calm down Sanz. Benchy isn't having a go, he's just saying that maybe India's reputation as being more cricket crazy than every other country is slightly exaggerated. Fair enough if you feel he's wrong.

I do agree that people in this thread think they understand Indian cricket fans based on very little actual experience and knowledge of their circumstances, and rather on stereotypes and the limited viewings they see on TV, but there's no need to get so aggressive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Bull****. Indian fans don't need to show up for ridiculous neutral matches (esp when they are not allowed to watch their own cricketers play ) to prove to the world that they love the game of cricket and they are obsessed with it. Watching Cricket in an Stadium in an Indian Ground is a very tough experience.

Clueless people, who have never set foot in India and have no clue about the experience do not get to make that call about Indian fans' love for the game. All they know about India is that it has 1 Billion people and that's the end of their reasoning.
    Outstanding post Sanz, you've outdone yourself buddy. Really intellectually constructed.

Wtf are you still doing awake?

Wtf are you still doing awake?
    Just got home tbf... watching the last part of the cricket.

Why are you awake ffs. You have weirder sleeping habits than Cribb.

Just doing some washing itbt

Just doing some washing itbt
    Woman.

Outstanding post Sanz, you've outdone yourself buddy. Really intellectually constructed.
    Your reasoning "until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed" isn't intellectually constructed either.

I presented a reasonable account of why fans do not show up and you are having none of it and continue with the "1 Billion Population" crap. Here are some stuff on Internet for you to read :-

Why cricket in India is a true wonder of the world | Andy Bull | Sport | guardian.co.uk

"In the departures lounge at Nagpur airport last Sunday I stumbled into a thick, swirling crowd of men with their mobile phones out, filming and snapping pictures, as well as brandishing pens and pieces of scrap paper. In the middle of this throng, I found once I had fought my way through it, were Simon Doull and Pommie Mbangwa."

Predicament of a cricket fan... - Sport - DNA

"First, and without being vulgar, I’ll use the expression that they use in the gym, your “glutes” ache from sitting on concrete for hours.

Then, you cannot find anything worthwhile to eat or drink. Water bottles are not allowed because the fans like to throw them at fielders who stray along the edges — okay, border, boundary, long on, whatever.

Plus, you have to stand in line three days before to get in and everything you own is a security threat, so all that you have with you can’t go in and we won’t even discuss the state of the toilets.

Much better I would say to watch it on TV, in the comfort of your home, eating and drinking what you like and preferably, lying down.

The other option is to use the quota and VIP system and either get on to the International Cricket Council or become a sponsor and this way you will get a fancy seat with more facilities."

2011 World Cup TV rating continues to soar high - The Times of India

" The first 24 non-India matches delivered an average TVR of 1.8. This is 12 per cent higher than the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbeans.

Pakistan-Sri Lanka encounter on February 26 was the highest rated non-India match with an average rating of 4.6, while Pakistan vs New Zealand tie on March 8 emerged as the second highest non-India match till now with a rating of 3.4.
    "

World Cup Ticketing Crisis a Failure for India, Cricket Fans - WSJ.com

vcs
    Woman.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information