• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowds

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
All I'm saying that until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed that it has aws. Is that really the end of the world?
Bull****. Indian fans don't need to show up for ridiculous neutral matches (esp when they are not allowed to watch their own cricketers play ) to prove to the world that they love the game of cricket and they are obsessed with it. Watching Cricket in an Stadium in an Indian Ground is a very tough experience.

Clueless people, who have never set foot in India and have no clue about the experience do not get to make that call about Indian fans' love for the game. All they know about India is that it has 1 Billion people and that's the end of their reasoning.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Calm down Sanz. Benchy isn't having a go, he's just saying that maybe India's reputation as being more cricket crazy than every other country is slightly exaggerated. Fair enough if you feel he's wrong.

I do agree that people in this thread think they understand Indian cricket fans based on very little actual experience and knowledge of their circumstances, and rather on stereotypes and the limited viewings they see on TV, but there's no need to get so aggressive about it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bull****. Indian fans don't need to show up for ridiculous neutral matches (esp when they are not allowed to watch their own cricketers play ) to prove to the world that they love the game of cricket and they are obsessed with it. Watching Cricket in an Stadium in an Indian Ground is a very tough experience.

Clueless people, who have never set foot in India and have no clue about the experience do not get to make that call about Indian fans' love for the game. All they know about India is that it has 1 Billion people and that's the end of their reasoning.
Outstanding post Sanz, you've outdone yourself buddy. Really intellectually constructed.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Outstanding post Sanz, you've outdone yourself buddy. Really intellectually constructed.
Your reasoning "until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed" isn't intellectually constructed either.

I presented a reasonable account of why fans do not show up and you are having none of it and continue with the "1 Billion Population" crap. Here are some stuff on Internet for you to read :-

Why cricket in India is a true wonder of the world | Andy Bull | Sport | guardian.co.uk

"In the departures lounge at Nagpur airport last Sunday I stumbled into a thick, swirling crowd of men with their mobile phones out, filming and snapping pictures, as well as brandishing pens and pieces of scrap paper. In the middle of this throng, I found once I had fought my way through it, were Simon Doull and Pommie Mbangwa."

Predicament of a cricket fan... - Sport - DNA

"First, and without being vulgar, I’ll use the expression that they use in the gym, your “glutes” ache from sitting on concrete for hours.

Then, you cannot find anything worthwhile to eat or drink. Water bottles are not allowed because the fans like to throw them at fielders who stray along the edges — okay, border, boundary, long on, whatever.

Plus, you have to stand in line three days before to get in and everything you own is a security threat, so all that you have with you can’t go in and we won’t even discuss the state of the toilets.

Much better I would say to watch it on TV, in the comfort of your home, eating and drinking what you like and preferably, lying down.

The other option is to use the quota and VIP system and either get on to the International Cricket Council or become a sponsor and this way you will get a fancy seat with more facilities."

2011 World Cup TV rating continues to soar high - The Times of India

" The first 24 non-India matches delivered an average TVR of 1.8. This is 12 per cent higher than the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbeans.

Pakistan-Sri Lanka encounter on February 26 was the highest rated non-India match with an average rating of 4.6, while Pakistan vs New Zealand tie on March 8 emerged as the second highest non-India match till now with a rating of 3.4.
"

World Cup Ticketing Crisis a Failure for India, Cricket Fans - WSJ.com

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@ Sanz - Yep, that sure did convince me.

As did the fact that Australia and Canada played in front of a handfull of people in a city boasting 6-7 million residents today.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz, I was hoping you'd notice Jono's post. There's no need to be aggressive at all. Keep it civil or don't post at all. And to Benchy, please don't antagonise the situation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2011 World Cup TV rating continues to soar high - The Times of India

" The first 24 non-India matches delivered an average TVR of 1.8. This is 12 per cent higher than the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbeans.

Pakistan-Sri Lanka encounter on February 26 was the highest rated non-India match with an average rating of 4.6, while Pakistan vs New Zealand tie on March 8 emerged as the second highest non-India match till now with a rating of 3.4.
"
To be fair, weren't most 2007 games on through the Indian night though, so you'd expect a lot less people watching (add in of course the early exit of 2 of the more favoured sides)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
@ Sanz - Yep, that sure did convince me.

As did the fact that Australia and Canada played in front of a handfull of people in a city boasting 6-7 million residents today.
Seriously, it's just not worth suffering through the Indian spectator experience to watch a neutral game.

I'm certainly a fan of cricket (not ODIs, but still) and while I would never go into any BCCI stadium anyway, even if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't do it for a neutral game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz, I was hoping you'd notice Jono's post. There's no need to be aggressive at all. Keep it civil or don't post at all. And to Benchy, please don't antagonise the situation.
Andy, some people continue to post same drivel over and over again, despite given several reasons why Indian fans may not want to watch a neutral game from the stands. Stuff like "Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India" and continuous references to "1 Billion population " is just annoying.

I can provide many more valid reasons why Indian fans don't flock the stadium for neutral matches but I am sure I am not going to get anything more mature than the "Yep, that sure did convince me" type response.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Andy, some people continue to post same drivel over and over again, despite given several reasons why Indian fans may not want to watch a neutral game from the stands. Stuff like "Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India" and continuous references to "1 Billion population " is just annoying.

I can provide many more valid reasons why Indian fans don't flock the stadium for neutral matches but I am sure I am not going to get anything more mature than the "Yep, that sure did convince me" type response.
At least your avatar is appropriate.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Do people really expect a crowd to watch Australia vs Canada? Today's game might be a better indicator.