• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 8 - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So McCullum shouldn't be opening, huh?

So he can come in at 80/6 and finish the innings off?

Cool bro.

Howsie

International Captain
I still can't believe people think actually think that Brendon McCullum is wasted down the order, it's insane. What he produced down the order against Pakistan is basically what he's been doing up the order over the last four years ffs. His numbers since moving up the order after the last world cup are average at best, and they're terrible if you look at his last 40 innings (which is two and a bit years worth of ODI cricket) In which country could a batsmen average 28 for an extended period of time while striking in the low 80's and still demand a place in the top four? Bangladesh maybe, and that's about it.

Push him back down the order, bring in a proper top order batsmen and get Styris back up the order pronto.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still can't believe people think actually think that Brendon McCullum is wasted down the order, it's insane. What he produced down the order against Pakistan is basically what he's been doing up the order over the last four years ffs. His numbers since moving up the order after the last world cup are average at best, and they're terrible if you look at his last 40 innings (which is two and a bit years worth of ODI cricket) In which country could a batsmen average 28 for an extended period of time while striking in the low 80's and still demand a place in the top four? Bangladesh maybe, and that's about it.

Push him back down the order, bring in a proper top order batsmen and get Styris back up the order pronto.
Well, I actually agree with most of that. No doubt in my mind that McCullum's batting ability in ODI cricket has been long over-rated and that moving him down the order wouldn't waste him at all, because while he's a dangerous proposition for the opposition, he's just not that good; he's not much better (if at all) than the blokes who'd bat ahead of him.

My issue though is that New Zealand only have two openers in the squad other than McCullum, and one of them (Jamie How) shouldn't be in the team. It's all well and good for you to say you want McCullum down the order and don't want How to play, but that's just dancing around the fact that to do that you must have Ryder opening the batting. Ryder's record opening is barely better than McCullum's and I firmly believe that when he goes out to open he sees himself as somewhat of a pinch-hitter and doesn't bat with the conviction and responsibility he should. There's virtually no difference between how McCullum will perform whether he bats at six or opens, but I think there's a potentially significant difference between Ryder opening and Ryder in the middle order.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I In which country could a batsmen average 28 for an extended period of time while striking in the low 80's and still demand a place in the top four? Bangladesh maybe, and that's about it.

You just answered your own question. Bangladesh and NZ are about on equal terms at the moment.

We are not Australia or India and therefore, 28 opening the batting is not great, but who would be better?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I have no problem in using McCullum down the order if 1-6 were able to give us a decent enough platform, but they don't. At least if McCullum is up the top there is a decent possibility of a good start. Heck, just look at the McCullum-Ryder opening history.

If the top order was playing better, and the lower order was failing, then I wouldn't mind McCullum down the order. But that's not the case.

Bring in a proper top order bat? Ummm, we don't have one.

Howsie

International Captain
Ryder's record opening is barely better than McCullum's and I firmly believe that when he goes out to open he sees himself as somewhat of a pinch-hitter and doesn't bat with the conviction and responsibility he should. There's virtually no difference between how McCullum will perform whether he bats at six or opens, but I think there's a potentially significant difference between Ryder opening and Ryder in the middle order.
Hmmm, I somewhat agree with that. The fact that Ryder's never been much of a one day batsmen however leads me to believe that this is probably as good as it will get for him, he's not a batsmen who can reel himself in after a couple of boundaries and I honestly don't believe that would change down the order either.