View Poll Results: Best ODI fielding unit

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

    7 28.00%
  • New Zealand

    3 12.00%
  • England

    6 24.00%
  • South Africa

    5 20.00%
  • Sri Lanka

    3 12.00%
  • West Indies

    1 4.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Best ODI fielding side

  1. #1
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305

    Best ODI fielding side

    Which one is it? I'd go for England based on the last year or so, hardly any weak links there.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,030
    This is probably the only area where England have the edge, it was a big part of their world T20 win. Even the fast bowlers - Broad, Anderson, Bresnan - are among the best fielders.

    England just top South Africa because they're not playing a specialist keeper anymore. Having Boucher behind the stumps and AB in the ring would make the difference.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    England, just. Australia, South Africa, England and New Zealand are all close enough to be put in one category.

  4. #4
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    If Symonds and Voges played, Oz's in-ring fielding would have been untouchably good compared to the other sides. Ponting, Symonds and Voges would be covering the off side and I am sure every team playing against them would score 20-30 runs less in every game.


  5. #5
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,665
    Other than for Murali, SL has no weak links in the field. Samaraweera may be little slow, but covers it up with good catching. Dilshan, Kapugedara, Silva, Mathews and Herath in the ring is some srious good fielding. SL are missing Radiv, had he been in would have been a cracker-jack ring field.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,401
    Pakistan....for the opposing side of course.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Pakistan aren't that bad a fielding side. The likes of Razzaq, Akhtar and Ajmal are ordinary fielders, but the younger ones (Ahmed Shahzad, Umar Akmal, etc.) are quite good.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

    England just top South Africa because they're not playing a specialist keeper anymore. Having Boucher behind the stumps and AB in the ring would make the difference.
    The SA fielding in Dubai was terrible almost Pakistanish standard.....nowhere near the top

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Pakistan....for the opposing side of course.


    true

    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Other than for Murali, SL has no weak links in the field. Samaraweera may be little slow, but covers it up with good catching. Dilshan, Kapugedara, Silva, Mathews and Herath in the ring is some srious good fielding. SL are missing Radiv, had he been in would have been a cracker-jack ring field.
    yeah SL are a pretty good fielding side....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Pakistan aren't that bad a fielding side. The likes of Razzaq, Akhtar and Ajmal are ordinary fielders, but the younger ones (Ahmed Shahzad, Umar Akmal, etc.) are quite good.
    you must be kidding........
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Nah, I am not kidding. Pakistan's fielding has been poor in tests (and that too mainly because of Imran Farhat, Salman Butt and Mohammad Yousuf). They aren't a bad fielding unit in ODIs; not the best, not the worst.

    Come to think of it, India have a reasonably good ODI fielding side as well. Kohli, Raina, Yuvraj, Gambhir are all pretty good fielders. Harbhajan, Sehwag, Pathan, Praveen Kumar and Tendulkar are okay. Zaheer, Munaf and Nehra are quite ordinary though (especially Munaf and Nehra).

    Sri Lanka are the best among Asian sides though, there is no doubt about that.
    Last edited by Blaze 18; 20-02-2011 at 12:34 PM.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Nah, I am not kidding. Pakistan's fielding has been poor in tests (and that too mainly because of Imran Farhat, Salman Butt and Mohammad Yousuf). They aren't a bad fielding unit in ODIs; not the best, not the worst.
    .
    Kami khatmal says hello.........

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Kami khatmal says hello.........
    Good : Ahmed Shahzad, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi.
    Bad : Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Abdul Razzaq.
    Overall : Not bad.
    Last edited by Blaze 18; 20-02-2011 at 12:38 PM.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Good : Ahmed Shahzad, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi.
    Bad : Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Abdul Razzaq.
    Overall : Not bad.
    lol......pal it doesn't work like that...........3 terrible fielders can ruin your side totally in the field......

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    lol......pal it doesn't work like that...........3 terrible fielders can ruin your side totally in the field......
    I daresay most teams have a bad fielder or two.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    I daresay most teams have a bad fielder or two.
    I can't believe you're actually trying to argue that Pakistan are a decent fielding side

    Most Pakistanis wouldn't agree with you, I'm sure.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    I daresay most teams have a bad fielder or two.
    I think this is where England step up because they don't much have a weak link. For a while it was Trott, but he's really improved lately. England have taken fielding very seriously recently. (They'd have to be considering they keep picking a specialist 12th man).

    England's opening bowlers are two of the best outfielders in the world. KP and Trott are okay and they're probably the worst fielders in the side.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 20-02-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 07:24 AM
  2. Bowling side - no ball
    By sadman in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 12:35 PM
  3. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 26-03-2010, 03:29 PM
  4. Archived [19/01/09] Battrick
    By Jamee999 in forum Battrick
    Replies: 8769
    Last Post: 17-01-2009, 07:05 PM
  5. The Indian ODI side
    By honestbharani in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 27-09-2007, 05:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •