• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 4 - Australia v Zimbabwe

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blaze 18

Banned
Australia haven't won yet mate. The fact is they didn't just not "toy" with them, they haven't guaranteed victory. All it takes is a ****ty opening spell from Tait and anything can happen.

You'd imagine Australia will win easily, but it's not locked in.
Zimbabwe don't really have the batsmen to get the runs. Apart from Taylor and Taibu, there doesn't seem to be anyone capable of scoring runs against this Australian attack. This total may not be enough against stronger sides like Sri Lanka and Pakistan, but they should be okay here. Should win by at least fifty runs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Honestly don't really agree. Price is actually ranked #4 in the world for ODI bowling - which flatters him a bit as Zimbabwe have played more against Bangladesh than the other teams in recent times, but still shows his quality.

I'm not saying Zimbabwe have better spinners than the other sides but the gap in quality between them and most teams is basically non-existent. They're genuinely good at it; it's a genuine strength of theirs and they certainly shouldn't be considered minnows in this area.
Yea I mean if you look at some of the others, the Indian, and SL spinners are really the only ones I consider 'head and shoulders' above the rest. Swann too of course but you need more than one.

Aussies have played Murali really well historically. So I think overall against most teams, they'll be OK.

Spark

Global Moderator
Still amazed at Smith's first two balls. Someone said he'd be up for the occasion but hitting 10 off his first 2 WC balls was probably well beyond most expectations

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As I said before, Zimbabwe would still be in the game against most teams, but I reckon Australia's attack will be too quick for them. Not saying Australia's bowlers are better than say, Sri Lanka's, but they're less likely to be played well by Zimbabwe IMO.
Add 25 runs to the total and it would have been beyond doubt though. And that should have been Australia's score, minimum.

Spark

Global Moderator
Add 25 runs to the total and it would have been beyond doubt though. And that should have been Australia's score, minimum.
Doesn't help when your designated hitter in the powerplay can't get it off the square tbh. And wastes the whole powerplay by getting off of the very last ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah for sure. Australia batted poorly - they've almost put the game to bed considering who the opposition is, but they're 15-20 runs below par for the conditions, and that's without even taking the relatively weak and unbalanced attack into consideration.

For all the talk about White and how the batting as a whole played the spinners, though, I think the worst batting came in the first 10 overs against Mpofu. For someone who was bunging down off cutters just short of a length at less than 80mph on a flat pitch, two supposedly aggressive OD openers played him like he was Malcolm Marshall.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah for sure. Australia batted poorly - they've almost put the game to bed considering who the opposition is, but they're 15-20 runs below par for the conditions, and that's without even taking the relatively weak and unbalanced attack into consideration.

For all the talk about White and how the batting as a whole played the spinners, though, I think the worst batting came in the first 10 overs against Mpofu. For someone who was bunging down off cutters just short of a length at less than 80mph on a flat pitch, two supposedly aggressive OD openers played him like he was Malcolm Marshall.
That was pretty ******** hey.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not White's biggest fan, and he was ordinary, but Haddin has gotten away with a **** innings here. Ponting told him to play longer innings with more runs, and this is obviously what he interpreted Ponting to mean :dry:

Haddin is a hack in coloured clothing.

pup11

International Coach
Tbh its been a pretty poor innings everything said and done, there weren't any demons in the wicket and the bowling too was steady at best and AFAIC the intent was the obvious problem and probably the only good thing is we still have time to work on improving things before we face the more tougher oppositions.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not White's biggest fan, and he was ordinary, but Haddin has gotten away with a **** innings here. Ponting told him to play longer innings with more runs, and this is obviously what he interpreted Ponting to mean :dry:

I'm getting a bit sick of Haddin too truth be told. He's played far too many flashy thirties and then got out. Worse, despite their flashiness, often he hasn't really scored that quickly.

I mean I thought Ponting said that Watson and Haddin were to go out aggressively at the start, consolidate in the middle with Ponting and Clarke.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This could get exciting if Tait/Lee/Johnson get a bit wayward and offer up 20-30 extras. Otherwise surely Australia have this covered?

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Will be a tough chase for Zimbabwe. Don't think the quality of batting is enough to put Australia under pressure even if one bowler has an off day.

pup11

International Coach

Haddin has been a superb ODD batsman for the Blues but then he was batting in the middle order and making big runs consistently, opening the batting just isn't his thing imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol Mark Taylor saying Watson's dismissal was wrong, and the umpire should not have overturned it. Why? because he was far down the crease, even though it was hitting the stumps :dry:

Dubious individual he is.