Thread: super six stage

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

super six stage

Why did they get rid of it

It was rubbish.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It was rubbish.
    Agree. I prefer the current format (fewer group matches would have been even better).

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Knock out stages are far preferrable & carrying points over always sucked, but I think going straight to the semis rather than having quarters would've given more meaning to the group phase this time around.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Knock out stages are far preferrable & carrying points over always sucked, but I think going straight to the semis rather than having quarters would've given more meaning to the group phase this time around.
    Yep, always thought the 92 world cup in Australia and New Zealand was the best format. Can't do that with so many teams nowadays but i guess they may go back to that when they throw out the smaller teams.

I always got the feeling that the super-sixes was introduced because of disrespect for associate countries. They will all be gotten rid of and then we can start the real tournament with the super-sixes round robin. Turns out that idea was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think ideally I would have loved to have seen 3 teams progress from each group.

The top team from each group progress automatically to the semi final, while 2nd and 3rd play a knockout match to play the winner of the other group in a semi.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I loved the super six phase. Helped to make 1999 such an excellent tournament. Added tension to the first round, and meant it was unlikely the associates would qualify beyond the group stage and muck up the later rounds. It sucked in 2003 because of circumstances beyond anyone's control letting Zimbabwe and Kenya into the second phase. But it was much better than the both the 2007 format, and the current one which is really just a knock out competition with a month of meaningless preamble before it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahnz View Post
    i loved the super six phase. Helped to make 1999 such an excellent tournament. Added tension to the first round, and meant it was unlikely the associates would qualify beyond the group stage and muck up the later rounds. It sucked in 2003 because of circumstances beyond anyone's control letting zimbabwe and kenya into the second phase. But it was much better than the both the 2007 format, and the current one which is really just a knock out competition with a month of meaningless preamble before it.
    this
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Thread Information