• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

super six stage

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Knock out stages are far preferrable & carrying points over always sucked, but I think going straight to the semis rather than having quarters would've given more meaning to the group phase this time around.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Knock out stages are far preferrable & carrying points over always sucked, but I think going straight to the semis rather than having quarters would've given more meaning to the group phase this time around.
Yep, always thought the 92 world cup in Australia and New Zealand was the best format. Can't do that with so many teams nowadays but i guess they may go back to that when they throw out the smaller teams.

Debris

International 12th Man
I always got the feeling that the super-sixes was introduced because of disrespect for associate countries. They will all be gotten rid of and then we can start the real tournament with the super-sixes round robin. Turns out that idea was wrong.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think ideally I would have loved to have seen 3 teams progress from each group.

The top team from each group progress automatically to the semi final, while 2nd and 3rd play a knockout match to play the winner of the other group in a semi.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I loved the super six phase. Helped to make 1999 such an excellent tournament. Added tension to the first round, and meant it was unlikely the associates would qualify beyond the group stage and muck up the later rounds. It sucked in 2003 because of circumstances beyond anyone's control letting Zimbabwe and Kenya into the second phase. But it was much better than the both the 2007 format, and the current one which is really just a knock out competition with a month of meaningless preamble before it.

smash84

The Tiger King
i loved the super six phase. Helped to make 1999 such an excellent tournament. Added tension to the first round, and meant it was unlikely the associates would qualify beyond the group stage and muck up the later rounds. It sucked in 2003 because of circumstances beyond anyone's control letting zimbabwe and kenya into the second phase. But it was much better than the both the 2007 format, and the current one which is really just a knock out competition with a month of meaningless preamble before it.
this