• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 2 - Kenya v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It'll be Oram and Bennett IMO.
I think you're right, though it leaves us with 4 seamers and 1 spinner, which seems a little odd for the subcontinent. That's unless Mills doesn't play (Bahnz, where did that info come from?). Have changed my mind on playing Williamson since Mike5181 pointed out he would bat at 7, which he's not suited to.

Looking forward to the game. Am not too concerned about this Kenya team based on their low associate ranking; if it was the good Kenya team of 8 (?) years ago then it might be tricky.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you're right, though it leaves us with 4 seamers and 1 spinner, which seems a little odd for the subcontinent. That's unless Mills doesn't play (Bahnz, where did that info come from?). Have changed my mind on playing Williamson since Mike5181 pointed out he would bat at 7, which he's not suited to.

Looking forward to the game. Am not too concerned about this Kenya team based on their low associate ranking; if it was the good Kenya team of 8 (?) years ago then it might be tricky.
It pretty much is that team from eight year ago - no-one has come through so they're playing a team full of 35 year olds.

The best players are still Tikolo, Odoyo and Ongondo.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
It pretty much is that team from eight year ago - no-one has come through so they're playing a team full of 35 year olds.

The best players are still Tikolo, Odoyo and Ongondo.
They're pretty much the only 3 over 30 along with Kamande.

I'd argue that Seren Waters is probably Kenyas best bat these days, and he is only 20.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a strange narrative I've seen being pushed by AFP in particular. They have no idea who 12 of the 15 squad players are so they call the team old based on the other three. I suspect (can't be bothered to check tho) that Kenya has fewer 30yr old + players than anyone else at this world cup.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
While it's always cool for the underdog to win, I don't think any NZ fans have anything to worry about...even if the "other" McCullum was the one out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Plus, NZ are the ones who are usually the underdog, so I'm rooting for them instead of Kenya.

ICC seems intent on killing associate cricket anyway.

gvenkat

State Captain
Associates should earn the right and respect. I'm already waiting for the quarter finals.. It's just plain boring that the league is totally rendered out of context. Yes we might see an odd upset, But that does not justify the 42 meaningless games..

Cricket is not soccer.. We cannot watch a one-sided game for long. Atleast in soccer we can watch that for the players skill.. Not here mate..

I'm happy with the 2015 format. Way to go ICC. If any ICC should look at getting these associates to participate in their neigbors domestic leagues.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, opening the bowling with Nathan McCullum is a bit too much 'we wish it was 1992 again' for me.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While it's always cool for the underdog to win, I don't think any NZ fans have anything to worry about...even if the "other" McCullum was the one out.
Plus, NZ are the ones who are usually the underdog, so I'm rooting for them instead of Kenya.

You seem to be taking a lot of interest in an ODI competition. :D

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Associates should earn the right and respect. I'm already waiting for the quarter finals.. It's just plain boring that the league is totally rendered out of context. Yes we might see an odd upset, But that does not justify the 42 meaningless games..

Cricket is not soccer.. We cannot watch a one-sided game for long. Atleast in soccer we can watch that for the players skill.. Not here mate..

I'm happy with the 2015 format. Way to go ICC. If any ICC should look at getting these associates to participate in their neigbors domestic leagues.
I believe 12 is the best number of teams for the World Cup - strikes a balance between giving associates something to aspire to and having too many lopsided games.

However the ICC seems far too concerned with politics and fads than genuine associate development. Having many associates (16 teams) at the T20 world cup and saying that's developing the associate countries is being disingenuous. Anyway, this belongs in a separate thread.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

So in other words, the minnows shouldn't be at the World Cup because you like watching soccer more than cricket. Tremendous logic.

gvenkat

State Captain
So in other words, the minnows shouldn't be at the World Cup because you like watching soccer more than cricket. Tremendous logic.
No. You did not get my point at all did you? ICC is trying to follow the FIFA way of doing things. One sided soccer games atleast get over in an hour and half unlike cricket

This charade goes on for ever. My point is limit the minnows. Ideal format would have been either have 12 teams or just select 3 teams from each group if ur going to have 14.

The league should have context. I see this league does not have a context.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No. You did not get my point at all did you? ICC is trying to follow the FIFA way of doing things. One sided soccer games atleast get over in an hour and half unlike cricket

This charade goes on for ever. My point is limit the minnows. Ideal format would have been either have 12 teams or just select 3 teams from each group if ur going to have 14.

The league should have context. I see this league does not have a context.
The ideal solution, IMO, would be to simply not have quarter finals - move straight to semi-finals so you have to finish top two in your group. That'd give the group stage plenty of context and importance without removing associate nations from the tournament.

Last edited: