• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recollections of the 1992 WC by Ramiz

smash84

The Tiger King
Awesome recollection from Ramiz

'People carried us away on their shoulders into a motorcade' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio at ESPN Cricinfo

Makes for compelling listening or reading if you like to read the transcript

AR: Pakistan had lost to West Indies and then managed a win against Zimbabwe but then came the shocker - shot out for just 74 by England.

RR: England had a strong team, experienced at playing one-day cricket, and they caught us on an English pitch with English weather, but the difference was that rain came to our rescue. The match was abandoned as a no-result, and our embarrassing 74 all-out got us a point. That would turn out to be the most important point for us in the World Cup. We had an interesting team meeting after the game and our captain somehow saw a positive in the result and said that this one point would enable us to win the World Cup. At the time we took it as a mere tool to lift our spirits, but it turned out to be exactly the saviour for us.

cricpk

U19 12th Man
Awesome recollection from Ramiz

'People carried us away on their shoulders into a motorcade' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio at ESPN Cricinfo

Makes for compelling listening or reading if you like to read the transcript

AR: Pakistan had lost to West Indies and then managed a win against Zimbabwe but then came the shocker - shot out for just 74 by England.

RR: England had a strong team, experienced at playing one-day cricket, and they caught us on an English pitch with English weather, but the difference was that rain came to our rescue. The match was abandoned as a no-result, and our embarrassing 74 all-out got us a point. That would turn out to be the most important point for us in the World Cup. We had an interesting team meeting after the game and our captain somehow saw a positive in the result and said that this one point would enable us to win the World Cup. At the time we took it as a mere tool to lift our spirits, but it turned out to be exactly the saviour for us.

Do you think Ahmed Shahzad will be saying similar lines after 18 years about Shahid Afridi?:laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah i found it interesting too..........a trip down the memory lane for me.........the 1992 WC victory caught the whole nation by storm

salman85

International Debutant
I remember Wasim's recollection from the 1992 World Cup.

He mentioned how the team landed in Lahore a few days after the victory.Wasim expected supporters,a few thousand perhaps,but when the team came out,the whole airport and the roads adjacent to it were swarmed with supporters a figure of around 80,000 was on Mall Road Lahore.Normally,it takes you around 10 minutes to reach Pearl Continental Hotel from the Airport.That day it took the team 8 hours.

80,000 people,between Pearl Continental Hotel and the Airport.
Mall Road,Lahore.
Pakistani team on the roof of a bus.

Epic.

Fusion

Global Moderator
You know what’s great about Visitor Messages? You can have a private conversation there not related to the thread. :p

smash84

The Tiger King
You know what’s great about Visitor Messages? You can have a private conversation there not related to the thread. :p
lol..........actually I was waiting to see how long it would take a moderator to cut this up :P....it took a long while for you to get here Fusion.....you guys are generally quicker than this :)........but yeah i think i will stick to PMs now :)

Leg Cutter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
lol..........actually I was waiting to see how long it would take a moderator to cut this up :P....it took a long while for you to get here Fusion.....you guys are generally quicker than this :)........but yeah i think i will stick to PMs now :)
This podcast makes two friends one from karachi and one from lhr :)
Btw i m from khi too

smash84

The Tiger King
Btw i m from khi too
Who asked you pal ???? :p

Like Fusion said this thread is taking a weird turn.......maybe we can transfer this to the introduce yourself thread or to our visitor messages :)........this doesn't make for good reading on a WC 1992 thread.....lol

Leg Cutter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who asked you pal ???? :p

Like Fusion said this thread is taking a weird turn.......maybe we can transfer this to the introduce yourself thread or to our visitor messages :)........this doesn't make for good reading on a WC 1992 thread.....lol
Awain janab..
but nice to see some friendship posts in this forum
Long Live Pakistan