• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening ceremony

juro

U19 12th Man
Rickshaw ride for captains in World Cup opening ceremony - The Times of India

I see Bryan Adams will be performing at the opening ceremony and the captains will be taken on rickshaws (sorry but had to giggle when the article refered to them as tri-cycles - the image of the captains sitting on the back of little kids' tricycles will be hard for me to shake).

The article also mentions that the 1996 opening ceremony was an "unmitigated disaster". Can someone tell me what actually went wrong?

juro

U19 12th Man
Was Summer of 69 actually about his best cricket season? I remember the summer I scored 43...

salman85

International Debutant
Bryan is a good singer,but not the type you'd want in an opening ceremony.

Shakira should switch her loyalties to cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha. Could imagine the thought process, "hey she was there for the football wc, we can outdo that!"

Probay forgot about the small manner of the few extra zeroes that the football people have available.

salman85

International Debutant
Since the WC is being held in the subcontinent,they should have probably had some Bollywood superstars come in and perform a song instead of Bryan Adams.Though since most of them are 'affiliated' with the IPL,i'm not sure if ICC would have considered that option.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Actually along with Bryan Adams there are bollywood singers,composers perfroming at the ceremony too as well as Bangladeshi singers.

Not sure about actors though or dance performances from them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Since the WC is being held in the subcontinent,they should have probably had some Bollywood superstars come in and perform a song instead of Bryan Adams.
I think that probably would have made the most sense. Even though most (numerically) of cricket watchers will be from the subcontinent, English is the international language of cricket (and most other things), so for a global tournament, at least some segment needs to be in English IMO. It wouldn't make sense to have a ceremony where only really two or three countries understand what's going on.

Bryan Adams still odd though, surely they could find someone else.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked the lights being all green and red during the Bangladesh national anthem. That was cool.