• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rubbish cricketers with a WC medal

Xuhaib

International Coach
In 92 Wasim Haider,Iqbal Sikandar and Zahid Fazal were part of the winning squad the ones who missed out were Waqar Younis and Saeed Anwar, which other no hopers have got a WC medal to their name when greats like Lara, Botham, Hadlee never got the opportunity to be called world champions.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure why, but my first thought was Ravi Shastri. A touch unfair of me, perhaps.

Mike Veletta. Though, the only performance he ever had was in the final, so I'll let him off.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i wouldn't call them rubbish obviously but a lot of Aussie cricketers (especially bowlers) seem to lift their game to an entirely different level come WC time.. Hogg, Bracken, Bichel, Tait etc. come to mind. Even Tom Moody probably.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I decided to check the squads. and see if there were any names I didnt know.

who the heck is Sunil Valson???

Then we have Andrew Zesers???

then the names become more familiar.

But from the Aussie victories, the following players were clearly being carried by the rest of the squad:
Adam Dale, Brendon Julian, and Jimmy Maher. In 2007 they had a much better squad.

Bun

Banned
In 92 Wasim Haider,Iqbal Sikandar and Zahid Fazal were part of the winning squad the ones who missed out were Waqar Younis and Saeed Anwar, which other no hopers have got a WC medal to their name when greats like Lara, Botham, Hadlee never got the opportunity to be called world champions.
Pretty sure Lara was only a kid when WI last won their world cup.

Would call perhaps almost the entire world Cup squad of 83 winning indian squad. Sunil Valson, is perhaps the only one of his kind who has never played an international match but can boast being a world Cup winning squad winner.

_Ed_

I think Brendon Julian may have been in the 1999 Australia squad.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure what the rules used to be but it's hard to have 15 good let alone world class players

Reckon there'd be some dodgy players from the '96 SL, '92 Pakistani, '89 (?) Oz and '83 Indian teams because they were bolters

I expect the winner of this WC to be the same

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i wouldn't call them rubbish obviously but a lot of Aussie cricketers (especially bowlers) seem to lift their game to an entirely different level come WC time.. Hogg, Bracken, Bichel, Tait etc. come to mind. Even Tom Moody probably.
Bracken was the no.1 ranked ODI bowler in the world for a long time and Tait has the second best strike rate ever

What's more, the rest were top shelf so I think it comes down to name recognition more than anything

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hogg and Bracken in particular were very good ODI players though.

smash84

The Tiger King
I decided to check the squads. and see if there were any names I didnt know.

who the heck is Sunil Valson???

Then we have Andrew Zesers???

then the names become more familiar.

But from the Aussie victories, the following players were clearly being carried by the rest of the squad:
Adam Dale, Brendon Julian, and Jimmy Maher. In 2007 they had a much better squad.
Yeah......who the hell is sunil valson............seems even more obscure than Iqbal Sikander and Zahid Fazal

Himannv

International Coach
Personally liked Adam Dale's bowling. He had a slow skippy bouncy sort of runup (which I actually tried out a few times myself) and was a fairly accurate medium pacer on the whole. Dont think he was a world beater or anything but perhaps in a weaker team he might have blossomed into a much more useful resource.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden's going to eat you for mentioning Bracks there.

Was a gun.

Top_Cat

Andrew Zesers was definitely not a rubbish cricketer, was 21 when he played in the '87 WC. He was injury-prone and retired at 23 but was considered a very talented bowler.

Last edited:

Burgey

Veletta immediately sprang to mind when I read this, though tbf he was by no means a horrible FC player. he was in and around the Aussie side for a few years there in late 80s when they were rebuilding. Greg Dyer I think was the keeper in 87 too. Worth a shout.

_Ed_

It also has to be mentioned that NZ came within two games of winning the World Cup in '99 with Carl Bulfin in the team. Carl ****ing Bulfin.

vcs

It also has to be mentioned that NZ came within two games of winning the World Cup in '99 with Carl Bulfin in the team. Carl ****ing Bulfin.
Should have got a medal for that name alone.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He was such a shocking selection - how he managed to find a spot in that 99' side is still beyond me 12 years on.

pup11

International Coach
Haha.. what..!? Bracken was the best ODI bowler for long period of time and he was fantastic during the worldcup as well.

Hogg too is a seriously underrated ODI bowler, if I'm not wrong he has close to 35 odd worldcup wickets to his name which is a pretty damn good effort!!!

Tait, Bichel and Moody also did carry out their roles in their respective sides very well.

From the way I look at it no worldcup medal winner is rubbish if he has been the part of the worldcup winning team's playing XI, though the blokes who are just the part of the squad and don't feature in the playing XI obviously are slightly undeserving medal winners.

Brad Haddin, Brendon Julian and Nathan Hauritz are probably the three undeserving worldcup medal winners I can think of, as none of them played a single game for their side during their worldcup winning campaign.