Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rubbish cricketers with a WC medal

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Veletta immediately sprang to mind when I read this, though tbf he was by no means a horrible FC player. he was in and around the Aussie side for a few years there in late 80s when they were rebuilding. Greg Dyer I think was the keeper in 87 too. Worth a shout.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

It also has to be mentioned that NZ came within two games of winning the World Cup in '99 with Carl Bulfin in the team. Carl ****ing Bulfin.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    It also has to be mentioned that NZ came within two games of winning the World Cup in '99 with Carl Bulfin in the team. Carl ****ing Bulfin.
    Should have got a medal for that name alone.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    He was such a shocking selection - how he managed to find a spot in that 99' side is still beyond me 12 years on.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    i wouldn't call them rubbish obviously but a lot of Aussie cricketers (especially bowlers) seem to lift their game to an entirely different level come WC time.. Hogg, Bracken, Bichel, Tait etc. come to mind. Even Tom Moody probably.
    Haha.. what..!? Bracken was the best ODI bowler for long period of time and he was fantastic during the worldcup as well.

Hogg too is a seriously underrated ODI bowler, if I'm not wrong he has close to 35 odd worldcup wickets to his name which is a pretty damn good effort!!!

Tait, Bichel and Moody also did carry out their roles in their respective sides very well.

From the way I look at it no worldcup medal winner is rubbish if he has been the part of the worldcup winning team's playing XI, though the blokes who are just the part of the squad and don't feature in the playing XI obviously are slightly undeserving medal winners.

Brad Haddin, Brendon Julian and Nathan Hauritz are probably the three undeserving worldcup medal winners I can think of, as none of them played a single game for their side during their worldcup winning campaign.

Hauritz was in the 2007 squad?

I'm sure Haddin played in one of the group games against an associate.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Haha.. what..!? Bracken was the best ODI bowler for long period of time and he was fantastic during the worldcup as well.

Hogg too is a seriously underrated ODI bowler, if I'm not wrong he has close to 35 odd worldcup wickets to his name which is a pretty damn good effort!!!

Tait, Bichel and Moody also did carry out their roles in their respective sides very well.

From the way I look at it no worldcup medal winner is rubbish if he has been the part of the worldcup winning team's playing XI, though the blokes who are just the part of the squad and don't feature in the playing XI obviously are slightly undeserving medal winners.

Brad Haddin, Brendon Julian and Nathan Hauritz are probably the three undeserving worldcup medal winners I can think of, as none of them played a single game for their side during their worldcup winning campaign.
    Not saying they were rubbish or undeserving at all mate, as you said they played very important roles. Just got the feeling they really turned it on in that particular competition more than usual, but maybe I didn't follow the rest of their careers closely enough.

Bracken is an all-time ODI great. Performed well in all tournaments on the whole.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Hauritz was in the 2007 squad?

I'm sure Haddin played in one of the group games against an associate.
    Hauritz was the part of the 2003 worldcup winning squad. As for Haddin playing a game I'm not sure about that mate, I think Gilly just made it in time from his paternity leave.

Seems there's a good chance one of Robin Peterson, Munaf Patel and Chamara Kapugedera getting a winner's medal this year.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Hauritz was the part of the 2003 worldcup winning squad. As for Haddin playing a game I'm not sure about that mate, I think Gilly just made it in time from his paternity leave.
    Got Haddin and Hodge mixed up.

By April the answer to the OP would be Kapugedera, C.Silva and Dilhara Fernando
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Can't wait for people to dig this to name Luke Wright, Michael Yardy and James Tredwell
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Seems there's a good chance one of Robin Peterson, Munaf Patel and Chamara Kapugedera getting a winner's medal this year.
    And if not it'll be John Hastings, Kamran Akmal, Jamie How, Luke Wright or Ravi Rampaul.

Oh God, they're everywhere...

Remarkably, he's still turning out for Marlborough in the Hawke Cup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information