Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official - Stereotyping the subcontinent thread

Bun
    Banned

Official - Stereotyping the subcontinent thread

Never mind that the subcontinent comprises of 3 (4 and more if one includes Pakistan and other nations), populates about a third of humanity, boasts of a zillion cultures, languages and customs, each similar to the other as is Tremlett and James Taylor.

But that shouldn't be a deterrent in this season for the 'stereotyping the subcontinent'. Pitches suddenly become 'low, flat and underprepared' (depending on who ended up losing), weather becomes 'humid and tangy', transport is 'horrid and giving way to cows', food, delhi belly and poisoning become synonymous, and the like.

Starting with this gem in the Australian-

Bun
    Banned

That is a disgrace of an article actually.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    'the Australian'

well there's the problem.

Tbh such ignorance and hatefulness is beyond ridiculous, even for a News Limited article.

Can't believe that could get published.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    One and only warning: this thread will be watched very closely and there will be infractions if people start violating forum rules regarding saying posting blatantly offensive things about specific countries/groups, etc.

I've deleted the offending post, please don't make me delete more.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Haha being perhaps the only one to have seen that comment before SS quickly deleted it, can't help but feel awesome

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Best part:

the players were struck down after a Chinese restaurant meal in Madras and efforts to trace the guilty dish foundered because Mike Gatting had been among the diner
    They went to a Chinese restaurant in Madras? Haha, you lose all right to complain about anything after doing crap like that.

It's like when I was in a hotel in Bombay and a friend of mine ordered the chicken salad sandwich. Now think about this - how many requests for chicken salad do you think the chef gets? How old do you think that crap is sitting in the refrigerator? Suffice it to say, he couldn't move for a week while the rest of his friends who ate out in street stalls and dhabas every day were just fine.

Not the smartest move in a middle of the road Bombay hotel...
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-02-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Best part:

They went to a Chinese restaurant in Madras? Haha, you lose all right to complain about anything after doing crap like that.

It's like when I was in a hotel in Bombay and a friend of mine ordered the chicken salad sandwich. Now think about this - how many requests for chicken salad do you think the chef gets? How old do you think that crap is sitting in the refrigerator? Suffice it to say, he couldn't move for a week while the rest of his friends who ate out in street stalls and dhabas every day were just fine.

Not the smartest move in a middle of the road Bombay hotel...
    Some people are mad. I was on holiday in the north of Spain, at a really nice restaurant, and with English people I'd met whilst I was there. One of them ordered a steak, well done, with no sauce. He then produced a bottle of Coleman's mustard out of his pocket and spooned it on. The waitress (and me too probably) gave him such a 'wtf?!' look... he said to me he didn't like 'foreign' food.

International 12th Man
    To the extent that we are generalizing, someone ought to tell the Mr Rip Wan Winkle who wrote this, that during the time he's been asleep - most cricketers in the world go annually to the subcontinent to play an even longer and even more meaningless tournament, and they represent nobody but themselves when they do that.

So, the average international cricketer of today is far more likely to be aware of fine dining choices in the subcontinent than in Mr Van Winkle's own home town - wherever that may be, as also likely to have their own local Mr Fix-it on speed dial to take care of all those 'no problems'.

Article was complete crap from start to finish, ironically enough.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm sorry, what a disgraceful article etc, but why does this thread actually exist? Inverted trolling, should be closed, deleted and never talked of again.
    Last edited by GIMH; 15-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That is a disgrace of an article actually.
    Hmm, overlooking the fact that the article was written by the English, I assume?

EDIT: Anyway, sounds like something you'd expect to read back in the Empire days.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 16-02-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Hmm, overlooking the fact that the article was written by the English, I assume?

EDIT: Anyway, sounds like something you'd expect to read back in the Empire days.
    A rubbish article - I'm quite surprised Martin Johnson would write that too, I thought he was okay. Surely he'd never get away with writing that in the Times (not that I can know for sure now you have to pay for it online...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information