• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Stereotyping the subcontinent thread

Bun

Banned
Never mind that the subcontinent comprises of 3 (4 and more if one includes Pakistan and other nations), populates about a third of humanity, boasts of a zillion cultures, languages and customs, each similar to the other as is Tremlett and James Taylor.

But that shouldn't be a deterrent in this season for the 'stereotyping the subcontinent'. Pitches suddenly become 'low, flat and underprepared' (depending on who ended up losing), weather becomes 'humid and tangy', transport is 'horrid and giving way to cows', food, delhi belly and poisoning become synonymous, and the like.

Starting with this gem in the Australian-

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tbh such ignorance and hatefulness is beyond ridiculous, even for a News Limited article.

Can't believe that could get published.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One and only warning: this thread will be watched very closely and there will be infractions if people start violating forum rules regarding saying posting blatantly offensive things about specific countries/groups, etc.

I've deleted the offending post, please don't make me delete more.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha being perhaps the only one to have seen that comment before SS quickly deleted it, can't help but feel awesome :cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Best part:

the players were struck down after a Chinese restaurant meal in Madras and efforts to trace the guilty dish foundered because Mike Gatting had been among the diner
They went to a Chinese restaurant in Madras? Haha, you lose all right to complain about anything after doing crap like that.

It's like when I was in a hotel in Bombay and a friend of mine ordered the chicken salad sandwich. Now think about this - how many requests for chicken salad do you think the chef gets? How old do you think that crap is sitting in the refrigerator? Suffice it to say, he couldn't move for a week while the rest of his friends who ate out in street stalls and dhabas every day were just fine.

Not the smartest move in a middle of the road Bombay hotel...

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Best part:

They went to a Chinese restaurant in Madras? Haha, you lose all right to complain about anything after doing crap like that.

It's like when I was in a hotel in Bombay and a friend of mine ordered the chicken salad sandwich. Now think about this - how many requests for chicken salad do you think the chef gets? How old do you think that crap is sitting in the refrigerator? Suffice it to say, he couldn't move for a week while the rest of his friends who ate out in street stalls and dhabas every day were just fine.

Not the smartest move in a middle of the road Bombay hotel...
Some people are mad. I was on holiday in the north of Spain, at a really nice restaurant, and with English people I'd met whilst I was there. One of them ordered a steak, well done, with no sauce. He then produced a bottle of Coleman's mustard out of his pocket and spooned it on. The waitress (and me too probably) gave him such a 'wtf?!' look... he said to me he didn't like 'foreign' food.

jeevan

International 12th Man
To the extent that we are generalizing, someone ought to tell the Mr Rip Wan Winkle who wrote this, that during the time he's been asleep - most cricketers in the world go annually to the subcontinent to play an even longer and even more meaningless tournament, and they represent nobody but themselves when they do that.

So, the average international cricketer of today is far more likely to be aware of fine dining choices in the subcontinent than in Mr Van Winkle's own home town - wherever that may be, as also likely to have their own local Mr Fix-it on speed dial to take care of all those 'no problems'.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sorry, what a disgraceful article etc, but why does this thread actually exist? Inverted trolling, should be closed, deleted and never talked of again. 8-)

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That is a disgrace of an article actually.
Hmm, overlooking the fact that the article was written by the English, I assume?

EDIT: Anyway, sounds like something you'd expect to read back in the Empire days.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, overlooking the fact that the article was written by the English, I assume?

EDIT: Anyway, sounds like something you'd expect to read back in the Empire days.
A rubbish article - I'm quite surprised Martin Johnson would write that too, I thought he was okay. Surely he'd never get away with writing that in the Times (not that I can know for sure now you have to pay for it online...)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This has been mentioned before but:

The funny thing is, whether it's true or not, it's not like being in the subcontinent will be this gut-wrenching novel experience for a lot (most?) of these guys.

Most people are quick enough to come for the IPL and tours.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This has been mentioned before but:

The funny thing is, whether it's true or not, it's not like being in the subcontinent will be this gut-wrenching novel experience for a lot (most?) of these guys.

Most people are quick enough to come for the IPL and tours.
A carry over from the times when it was I'd imagine. I haven't read the article, I cbf to be honest.

Suffice to say a lot of countries didn't tour much a few decades back, Australia included. The world has changed a fair bit since then, the subcontinent included. The best thing, long term, for our players is to have a lot of the international, A team and youth tours to the SC. It can only make them better players in those conditions than was the case when we went there once in a blue moon.

pup11

International Coach
I'm sorry, what a disgraceful article etc, but why does this thread actually exist? Inverted trolling, should be closed, deleted and never talked of again. 8-)
Exactly my thoughts, the guys who wrote and published the article are trolls trying to catch attention by putting such inflammatory comments on a public domain, but tbh don't know how the thread starter is doing anything different.

Also even if touring the sub-continent is considered tough for players then why exactly whine about it, tours are suppossed be tough and if you aren't cut out for a tough life than you better stay in the comforts of your home.

SS is discounting the fact that like India; Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan too are part of the sub-continent, but players are keen to tour 'India' for team tours and the IPL because of the monetary benefits and among cricket boards and investors there is also a realisation that India is one biggest economic powers in the making, but they hardly have any temptations like those in regard to the rest of the sub-continental nations hence they show reluctance to visit those countries.