Thread: Sri Lanka are Australia's biggest Cup threat

Sri Lanka are Australia's biggest Cup threat

* By Christopher Boyd
    * FOX SPORTS
    * February 14, 2011 10:22PM

Former Australia World Cup-winning players believe Sri Lanka pose the biggest threat to Ricky Ponting's side's chances of securing a fourth consecutive World Cup trophy.

While India look destined to start the tournament as favourites following their 38-run win over Australia in Monday's warm-up match, it's their subcontinent neighbours who have caught the attention of past Australia players.

When asked by Inside Cricket host Brendon Julian who would win the ICC Cricket World Cup, Fox Sports panellists Mark Waugh, Damien Fleming and Greg Blewett unanimously backed Sri Lanka, the 1996 champions and 2007 finalists, to prevail.

Fleming, a member of Australia's victorious 1999 squad, suggested Australia's staggering 27-match unbeaten streak in World Cup competition would face its greatest test from Kumar Sangakkara's side, with the teams scheduled to meet in a Group A match on March 5.

"It's always tough in the subcontinent because the host countries play so well over there," Fleming said.

"I am a little bit worried about our (Australia's) middle order against spin."

Fleming said that while Sri Lanka's pace attack looked fragile, a long batting order and a bowling attack led by spin legend Muttiah Muralidaran made Trevor Bayliss's team the danger outfit at the co-hosted tournament.

"He's got a great record all round the world, particularly on the subcontinent," Fleming said of Muralidaran, who will play in his last World Cup on home soil.

"They've also got Mendis (Ajantha Mendis) there, the mystery spinner, to help him out. Spin will be a good option.

"We saw it in the practice game against the Australians. If the Aussies are going to win, their middle order is going to start against spin and they're going to have to score quickly against spin.

"With their (Sri Lanka's) long batting order I think they're also going to be able to chase down big totals."

Waugh, a three-time World Cup representative, agreed, pointing to Australia's middle-order capitulation against India as a danger sign ahead of their opening match of the tournament against Zimbabwe on February 21.

"The worry was the middle order against spin bowling was a bit shaky so we have to fix that up," he said, before tipping Pakistan as the "darkhorse" for the tournament.

"We play well under pressure and we have some experienced players there, but the subcontinent is going to be different - we are going to have to play a different brand of cricket.

"Mike Hussey is such a big loss, he's our best player in the middle order.

"There's a few ifs and buts for the Australia team but I am pretty sure we'll get to the semis."

Sri Lanka have proven a worthy World Cup adversary for Australia before, having defeated the Mark Taylor-led Aussies at the 1996 World Cup to secure an inaugural World Cup crown.

Former Australia batsman Blewett tipped Sri Lanka captain and wicketkeeper-batsman Sangakkara to be one of the stars of the tournament.

"He's just one of those guys that can control the temp through the middle overs," Blewett said.

"He's a class player, and that's what you need in World Cups - you need your best players to stand up.

"Whether it's Test cricket, Twenty20 or World Cups, this guy is an absolute superstar."

vcs
    Can't understand the reason behind this recent Sri Lanka love-in, coming mainly from Australia. All the top 5-6 teams can beat each other, and are hence a "threat" AFAIC.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Pakistan labelled as the dark horse. I like that. Although i am sure Salman and Faisal won't like it unless Pakistan are labelled as the favorites for the WC.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Can't understand the reason behind this recent Sri Lanka love-in, coming mainly from Australia. All the top 5-6 teams can beat each other, and are hence a "threat" AFAIC.

Started by me tbf.

I speak, the world listens and repeats.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Sl might beat pace heavy teams because Dilshan, Sanga and Mathews absolutely likes pace. Sanga and Mathews becomes valueless against spinners and gets bogged down.

SL's lesser batsmen like Samaraweera, Silva and Kapugedara will be more important against spin heavy sides like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. AUS / ENG / SAF are the perfect oppositions for Dilshan, Sanga and Mathews because of plenty of fast and fast medium bowling.

BTW, I don't think SL will win the WC.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sl might beat pace heavy teams because Dilshan, Sanga and Mathews absolutely likes pace. Sanga and Mathews becomes valueless against spinners and gets bogged down.

SL's lesser batsmen like Samaraweera, Silva and Kapugedara will be more important against spin heavy sides like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. AUS / ENG / SAF are the perfect oppositions for Dilshan, Sanga and Mathews because of plenty of fast and fast medium bowling.

BTW, I don't think SL will win the WC.
    The best part about Pakistan is the bowling attack

Akhtar, Gul, Riaz, Junaid Khan, Razzaq, Afridi, Ajmal, Hafeez, Abdur Rehman....lots of bowling options to choose from..........

the batting seems dire tbh

Sri Lanka's batting seems to be terribly over-rated. Dilshan and Matthews = good. Sanga = over-rated but good. The rest = fairly rubbish.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

AWTA - The reason for te outcry not allowing Jayawardane to open and dropping Chandimal.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Sri Lanka's batting seems to be terribly over-rated. Dilshan and Matthews = good. Sanga = over-rated but good. The rest = fairly rubbish.
    Haha, massively disagree.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Yeah, would rate Mahela as at least "good". Be fair.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Oh, so SL are Australia's biggest cup threat? But I thought England are India's biggest cup threat, tbh...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Thread Information