• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm-up Matches Discussion

Howe_zat

Audio File
Misbah sent in at #7 but quel surprise, the wicket kills the run rate. 132 runs needed off 17.4 overs now - 7.47 rpo. Younis the key.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Colly scores 65 off 73 and takes 3-48 off 10 without the help of a fielder.

:wub:

Safe to say he's keeping his place.

Edit: And Broad nabs Younis, Pakistan 187/8. It's a formality now.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair, he's always been a better bowler than Ravi (and a better batsman) - and I've been calling for this team shape for a while now (even with Morgan playing) - Ravi's definitely only a 6th bowler quality, marginally better than Trott, but not that good really.

Jacknife

International Captain
Evidently. :happy:

Still, Ravi 0-20 off 3 is worrying. Not that we really needed him to take wickets, but that it might mean the selectors leave him out.
Tbf to Ravi he can't have bowled for a fair while. Broad wraps it up with another 5fer, appears to be bowling very well..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
How about Swann in for Bopara, leaving Prior 6, Yardy 7, Bres 8, Broad 9, Swann 10, Jim 11?

I rather think we're asking for trouble with one spinner in India/Bdesh, particularly as much of our (relative) OD/T20 success has come with Yardy & Swann partnering each other in the middle overs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How about Swann in for Bopara, leaving Prior 6, Yardy 7, Bres 8, Broad 9, Swann 10, Jim 11?

I rather think we're asking for trouble with one spinner in India/Bdesh, particularly as much of our (relative) OD/T20 success has come with Yardy & Swann partnering each other in the middle overs.
Yardy's not so good in the 50 over stuff to be honest, would almost prefer some KP (or Colly's off cutters)

Had Morgan been fit I was almost thinking to move Prior to 5, Morgan 6 and Colly 7.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tbf to Ravi he can't have bowled for a fair while.
He was bowling really well in South Africa this year. Not saying he's a world beater but it's something.

In T20s, yes, where he can get through his alloted overs in one go. But Yardy has never really been much of a success in ODIs, where batsmen tend to get the better of him after a while. I think our batting needs re-inforcement more than the bowling does.

I'd hesitate to call Yardy a spinner anyway.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I think pakistan missed the point of the final warm up game, the way they maneuvered the complete batting order looked as if they thought winning the game against bangladesh was enough. They should have left the experiment part in the first game and played the final batting order in this game, specially if they were looking to chase the target. Anyway i am happy that younis and misbah seem to be back in form.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I like that team. Plenty of batting and Colly and Yardy to make up the 5th bowler is good enough.

Jacknife

International Captain
Thing is, Bopara >>>> Yardy as a batsman, and probably isn't that much worse a bowler.
That's my thinking, he'll only be used as the 6th bowler anyway, with Jimmy, Broad, Swanny, Bresnan and Colly. I just think he could score us more runs than Yardy, more quickly and wouldn't loose too much in the bowling, he might be a bit more expensive, but I reckon he'd get more wickets.

Howe_zat

Audio File
For me, our bowling is much better than our batting right now, so I'd rather have the batting allrounder in Bopara than the bowling allrounder in Yardy. I wouldn't mind too much either way but that's the side i'd go for right now.